Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

DENVER: Hyatt Regency vs. Grand Hyatt

DENVER: Hyatt Regency vs. Grand Hyatt

Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by air-
. . . Has anyone stayed at either of the two properties on a FFN/BWB redemption? If you are diamond, did you get upgraded?
Redemption or paid -- it won't make a difference. As Diamond, you'll be given a club level room (or at least club access) at both hotels.

I've stayed at both many times. The GH often upgrades Diamonds to a corner room, which is larger, but not a suite. I've never seen a suite upgrade at either property -- in many, many stays.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:48 pm

Just got back from a three night stay at the Hyatt Regency Convention Center as I was attending the McKesson national user group conference. Beerfest was also going on (sold out ) so it was kind of crowded downtown.

It has been some time since I've stayed at a Hyatt as I'm a Hilton HHonors points piggy. But I had no choice on this trip since my vendor was paying the tab for my trip and wanted me to stay at the Hyatt Regency.

I have to say that I was very impressed by the hotel staff. The front desk really made me feel welcome on arrival and took the time to chat me up about my stay on departure. The wait staff at the Altitudes restaurant were great - friendly and always addressed me by name. A few of the waitresses spoke French as their first language; they appreciated my attempts to use my few words of fractured French which was a lot of fun. Today on my last breakfast in the hotel they came by to wish me a "bon voyage" as they somehow knew I was leaving.

The Hyatt Business Plan was a good deal for me - includes breakfast in the morning at Altitudes (buffet or anything off the menu along with coffee, juice or soda), free wired high-speed internet in the room, one free blouse or shirt pressing per day, free local and US long distance calls, and a bottle of water in the room.

I liked the bathroom inasmuch Hyatt included toothpaste (which I haven't seen at a US Hilton yet) and the shower water pressure was great. Flat screen TV in the room with a decent selection of channels. Large work desk. I will give the nod to Hilton as far as mattress comfort but the Hyatt was still very comfortable.

Overall I would say that Hilton could learn a thing or two from Hyatt about guest service and experience. Even though I am a no-status Hyatt guest, they really made me feel as though my business was important to them. I won't hesitate to try another Hyatt or two in the future and will definitely consider this Denver property again if I have to go to the Convention Center (even though there is a Hilton Garden Inn just down the street).
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I've never stayed at either property, but I'm stopping off for one night before a guy's ski trip and I wanted to get opinions on which is the better hotel if using a suite upgrade.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I've never stayed at either property, but I'm stopping off for one night before a guy's ski trip and I wanted to get opinions on which is the better hotel if using a suite upgrade.
I would say the Grand if you are going to us a suite upgrade because it's upgrade rooms.

Other than that, in my experience, there's not a ton to choose from between these two. They're a quick walk from each other and each has easy access to the 16th Street Mall/LoDo/Capitol Hill/etc.

I tend to find the Grand slightly better at the upgraded room levels.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Regency is the Denver Convention Center hotel and can get swamped with convention guests while the Grand tends to have, at most, smaller meeting groups. Whether one or the other situation is better or worse is a matter of personal preference.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Driving by DCA
I would say the Grand if you are going to us a suite upgrade because it's upgrade rooms.

Other than that, in my experience, there's not a ton to choose from between these two. They're a quick walk from each other and each has easy access to the 16th Street Mall/LoDo/Capitol Hill/etc.

I tend to find the Grand slightly better at the upgraded room levels.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Regency is the Denver Convention Center hotel and can get swamped with convention guests while the Grand tends to have, at most, smaller meeting groups. Whether one or the other situation is better or worse is a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for the info, I ended up booking the Grand. Since it's a personal trip, I'd prefer to stay away from the giant convention crowd and it was even a little cheaper than the HR.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Thanks for the info, I ended up booking the Grand. Since it's a personal trip, I'd prefer to stay away from the giant convention crowd and it was even a little cheaper than the HR.
I love the rooms and location at the Grand. They always treat me very well.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Any info re: parking (garages or lots) nearby these Hyatts?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by kw335
Any info re: parking (garages or lots) nearby these Hyatts?
The Regency has an underground parking lot, which you can either valet, or park yourself. I don't remember the prices, so you might be best off calling...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The Regency has an underground parking lot, which you can either valet, or park yourself. I don't remember the prices, so you might be best off calling...
The price between self and valet park is very close. Don't quote me on this, but I think it's 22/26 or 26/32.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I'm thinking about an off-site parking lot. What about street parking (if any) on the weekends?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
DENVER: Grand Hyatt or Hyatt Regency

I have an event at the Denver Press Club and am spending 2 nights in Denver. Should I go Grand or Hyatt Regency? I'm a Diamond on a trial membership and would ideally like a suite upgrade - which has nicer suites? And do both have clubs for me to use? I am also a swimmer (I see both have pools).

Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tennisboy
I have an event at the Denver Press Club and am spending 2 nights in Denver. Should I go Grand or Hyatt Regency? I'm a Diamond on a trial membership and would ideally like a suite upgrade - which has nicer suites? And do both have clubs for me to use? I am also a swimmer (I see both have pools).

Thanks
The thread below provides some additional comparisons between the Grand and HR. I've never stayed at the Grand, but I have used suite upgrades twice at the HR. The suites are enormous.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ty-advice.html
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by tennisboy

Thanks
I've stayed at both and prefer the Grand but will stay at the Regency if it is less expensive - it's that close of a contest between the properties.

I've used suite upgrade certs several times at both hotels. The Regency's suite upgrade is for a lockout with a Murphy bed, full sized refrigerator, etc. For lack of a better description, it is merely another hotel room that doesn't have a bed.
The Grand's suite upgrade is an actual suite, where there is a separate living and sleeping area. It is not a lockout.
I prefer actual suites vs lockouts so I give the Grand the nod on that front.

Both have great staffs, both have great club lounges, both have great restaurants, both are a very short walk from the 16th street mall.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Agreed: I like the GH over the HR, as the HR seems way too basic. The GH gives me a feeling of elegance, especially in some of their suites..

Though the restaurants at the HR (Altitude) are better than the GH. The prime rib is amazing ^^^
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I've always stayed at the HR Denver because previous reviews stated that the Club at the GH is is much smaller and has fewer breakfast and evening offerings. Has anyone stayed at both recently and can make some comparisons?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.