Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Official - Hyatt to offer Chase Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC

Just hit the wires a few minutes ago:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hyatt-....html?x=0&.v=1

Hyatt (NYSE: H - News) and Chase (NYSE: JPM - News) today announced a multi-year, strategic alliance that will create the first-ever Visa-branded credit card that allows consumers to earn points through Hyatt Gold Passport®, Hyatt’s global loyalty program that delivers a superior level of service, recognition, and customer experience to its most loyal guests.

Now we have to wait for the details...
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:07 am
Community Director Emerita

Interesting that they've announced the card, yet are still running surveys as to people's preferences in a credit card program. It will be interesting to see what they offer, and the annual cost of the card. Of particular interest is one of the surveyed potential benefits: a defined number of suite upgrades on award (and paid) stays.

According to reports elsewhere on FT, Chase has limited consideration of credit card applications from a specific person to once every six months. With the plethora of hotel and airline cards from Chase these days, folks might have to wait til their last application "ages" before applying for a new card. Lots of us got BA cards from Chase at yearend.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
wow, they chose to go visa. kind of surprising

anyone have any guesses as to how long it usually takes once the card is announced?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
“We chose to align with Chase and Visa because they share our commitment to quality and customer service,” said John Wallis, global head of marketing and brand strategy for Hyatt
Surprised that this will be VISA rather than Mastercard in view of Hyatt's promotional history with Mastercard.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Chase?

Why does it have to be Chase?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
wow, they chose to go visa. kind of surprising

anyone have any guesses as to how long it usually takes once the card is announced?
After looking at the survey questions, a Chase Signature Visa was my expectation.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:35 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'm quite surprised about the Visa aspect also.

I also got the BA Visa at year end so I guess I'll have to wait until midyear to apply nonetheless.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Hyatt is headquartered in Chicago. While JP Morgan and Chase Manhattan were New York banks, their affinity credit card business largely descends from the aquisition of BankOne which was headquartered in ... Chicago.

Probably more important, Hyatt's 2009 IPO was underwritten by three banks: Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase and Deutsche Bank AG. Only one of these is a player in the US credit card market.

Last edited by mia; Feb 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mia
Hyatt is headquartered in Chicago. While JP Morgan and Chase Manhattan were New York Banks, their affinity credit card business largely descends from the aquisition of BankOne which was headquartered in ... Chicago.

Probably more important, Hyatt's 2009 IPO was underwritten by three banks: Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase and Deutsche Bank AG. Only one of these is a player in the US credit card market.
According to the other threads on here that have discussed the Hyatt credit card, it seems like the decision to go with Chase was made well before the press release.

A relationship with the IB-side surely didn't hurt Chase's chances.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Interesting that they've announced the card, yet are still running surveys as to people's preferences in a credit card program. It will be interesting to see what they offer, and the annual cost of the card. Of particular interest is one of the surveyed potential benefits: a defined number of suite upgrades on award (and paid) stays.

According to reports elsewhere on FT, Chase has limited consideration of credit card applications from a specific person to once every six months. With the plethora of hotel and airline cards from Chase these days, folks might have to wait til their last application "ages" before applying for a new card. Lots of us got BA cards from Chase at yearend.
I noted the short survey-to-rollout interval in the other thread, too, but acknowledge that a survey can be a promotional (rollout buzz) tool as well as a marketing (listening) tool.

And from the FlyerTalk "churning" threads, I've had the impression that the CC-to-CC six-month interval has been around for a while, albeit often not explicit. Divining about it takes up a lot of those threads. One gets the impression that it's a case of a FlyerTalk "We have met the enemy, and it is us..."

Separately, and separately from this consideration, I wish Hyatt hadn't chosen to marry Chase. Chase is several hotel programs' affinity card. I hold with GUWonder that it's already a back foot relationship with the affinity cards, and I add that Hyatt will be the smallest of those programs. Where will be the leverage and the strongest loyalty? Where must it be?

To the divining re what the fee will be, with the changes in laws re credit card terms occurring right now, there's a lot of speculation that the CC companies will recoup their loss by increasing annual fees. Referring back to the "rollout" role, while I didn't get the survey, reports here don't indicate that "$69" was the middle choice.

Last edited by Firewind; Feb 23, 2010 at 10:03 am
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:48 am

Chase?

At least it's not Capital One!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I know its a long shot, but it would be nice if they offered a Canadian one. Chase has the Canadian Marriot card.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by smilee
I know its a long shot, but it would be nice if they offered a Canadian one. Chase has the Canadian Marriot card.
^
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Chase?

Press release says: “We chose to align with Chase and Visa because they share our commitment to quality and customer service,” said John Wallis, global head of marketing and brand strategy for Hyatt.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
this is a stupid question and i think i already know the answer, but do you think it would be possible to get this card as a secured card? im only 21 and have way too much available credit for my income and it is very doubtful that chase will approve me (i had 1 card with them at 5k limit, then dropped to 500, then they cancelled it due to non-use). Is there any way i would be able to just open up an account with them and get the credit card with the same limit of whatever i keep in the account? obviously there is no answer about this cc yet, but has that been possible with other credit cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.