Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Base Points Calculation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:29 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by paul577
It appears that one common problem ( ...common to the extent that it has happened to me 3 times in the past month) is with pre-paid stays. Base points posted for those 1 night stays were something like 400 points, ie about $40 . The hotels had not looked at and posted points for the pre-payment but only incidentals. It took 2 calls to the so-called GP helpline in Australia ( in reality it's the reservations number) before the problem was rectified
GP base points are 5 points / $. So 400 points would indicate eligible charges of $80.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Being Shorted Points

Looking over my past 3 stays, I find that I am being shorted points. Not a lot of points (between 50 and 200 base points each stay). But if this is happening to others who stay maybe 100 nights a near, it could amount to a lot.

Example: Rate was $98.10 (exc taxes) but I got only 440 base points. Should have been 490

Rate was $448 (exc taxes) but I got only 2090 base points. Should have been 2240.

Third stay rate was $214.20 (ex taxes) but I got only 1030 points. Should have been 1071 points.

Of course, the Diamond bonuses were short points as well as they are calculated off the base points.

Called Gold Passport and they wanted me to make copies of the folios and fax them. I don't understand why they can't view them online like I can; they said they can't access my account (????). I'm more interested in them fixing the glitch.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It happens to many... Check out this recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ulation-2.html
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:48 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Looking over my past 3 stays, I find that I am being shorted points. Not a lot of points (between 50 and 200 base points each stay). But if this is happening to others who stay maybe 100 nights a near, it could amount to a lot.

Example: Rate was $98.10 (exc taxes) but I got only 440 base points. Should have been 490

Rate was $448 (exc taxes) but I got only 2090 base points. Should have been 2240.

Third stay rate was $214.20 (ex taxes) but I got only 1030 points. Should have been 1071 points.

Of course, the Diamond bonuses were short points as well as they are calculated off the base points.

Called Gold Passport and they wanted me to make copies of the folios and fax them. I don't understand why they can't view them online like I can; they said they can't access my account (????). I'm more interested in them fixing the glitch.
Please PM your reservation details to us. We're happy to assist.

Nick B.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
I tend to wait until I have 3 or 4 stays that need to be corrected.

It usually takes 3 or 4 stays to reach that number.

I had 70+ stays this year and less than 10 posted with no errors.

That being said, it is usually corrected quickly, unlike chasing SPG Platinum Amenities which almost never post and can take months to chase down.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Please PM your reservation details to us. We're happy to assist.

Nick B.
Nick (and other GP Concierges), the point we are trying to make here is that this should be fixed at the system level - it shouldn't require us to fax folios, make multiple phone calls, spend countless hours on the phone, etc. just to get what we are entitled to.

I understand that certain charges are ineligible for points but we as customers have no way of telling what is and what is not eligible. To make things even more complicated even those charges that should earn us points usually don't post correctly. My understanding is that each hotel enters points into the system and has complete control over what is eligible and what is not. What I don't know is whether hotels have to "pay" for the points they post in the system and if that is the case maybe they are deliberately shorting customers for points. There should be a better QC process integral to the system and ideally points should be posting automatically based on the eligible charges without the need for someone at the hotel to manually manipulate the system.

I typically don't bother with few dozens of points missing from my base points count for a particular stay but right now my last stay has posted more than 300 points short and I am having a hard time getting this corrected. To echo the post above, why should we have to fax in our folios when they can be seen in the system by GP representatives (as deduced from the fact that the copies are available on the web site)?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: United Premier Exec, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
This happened to me over several stays at the Andaz Wall Street awhile back...I actually didn't notice until I called GP about some other points issue (I literally call once a month about points issues, the system is horrible and maybe one in 5 stays is ever right for me), and I noticed the points looked very low for a few stays. The agent looked into it and was able to correct it without me doing anything, but I was a little annoyed they seemed to be aware of the hotel's problem and never fixed it on the customer accounts.

Seems to be par for the course with GP though, the system is full of mistakes, but the agents over the phone are usually incredibly helpful and nice about fixing it....just have to be vigilant in checking your account.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:30 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It happens to many... Check out this recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ulation-2.html
Thanks - I merged the threads!!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:49 pm

As GoldPassportConcierge requested, I PM'd the details of my missing points. Here's the prompt response I got from Brock. It's still unbelievable to me that all of us can view our folios online, but GP can't.

Thank you for PMing us about your stays not posting correctly. I want to apologize in advance for the issues you have been having. I completely understand the frustration of having to track each stay in order to make sure the points post correctly. We are working to solve these issues so that our members have a smooth and reliable process.

If a stay posted from the hotel and it is incorrect in terms of points, or the stay hasn't posted automatically we have a system in which we have to access to post or correct the stays. If this system doesn't reflect the correct eligible amount in which you think you should be credited then we need our members to fax or email a copy of their folio because we can only post what is reflected in this system.

Gold Passport members are the only ones who have access to their folios. The "view folio" option is only accessible to the member online when you sign into your account. For that reason we do not have access to your folios because only you can view them online through the Gold Passport site. This is why we have to have our guests either email or fax in a copy of their folio.

Again, I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause. We are definitely working on resolving any posting issues for our members stays. If you have any further question feel free to PM us anytime.

Have a great evening,

Brock S.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
As GoldPassportConcierge requested, I PM'd the details of my missing points. Here's the prompt response I got from Brock. It's still unbelievable to me that all of us can view our folios online, but GP can't.
Well, it's not like I could access my folios online... all the recent stays I just tried give me

Your Folio is not currently available.

Please try again later.For more information please call+1 671 647 1234.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Well, it's not like I could access my folios online... all the recent stays I just tried give me

Your Folio is not currently available.

Please try again later.For more information please call+1 671 647 1234.
I really wish they would get some consistency there. Especially for business travel/expense reporting. I love that feature, but with some properties it never seems to work.

-David
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:51 am

About a month later and the problem still exists. Again, they aren't large amounts (60 points this last stay) but this all mounts up over time. Had to fax the folio to GP Customer Service.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I found this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...lculation.html

But I didn't want to revive a thread that has been dead for over a year. It looks like this is still happening.

My 4 night stay just posted and I can not figure out how they calculated the base points. I've tried every combo of room rate, tax, no tax, food, only room service, etc, that I can think of and it doesn't add up right. If I take the room rate plus all food (which is what I think it should be), I come up with 2860 base point. What actually posted was 2685. That's almost a 200 point difference. If I eliminate all food and just take the room rate I come up with 2420.

So has this not been fixed yet?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Anybody else still seeing this?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:04 pm

Yes, I'm seeing this too - and I had not realized I needed to be so vigilant in doublechecking base points, so thanks for reviving the thread.

Looked at just my most recent stays and *the last 5 were off* - to the tune of:

original base 869 now corrected by GP to 896
538 -> 626
508 -> 645
766 -> 806

And the real kicker:
839 -> 1195

Total base points shorted: 648 (equivalent to a one-night stay). This of course does not include the Diamond bonus points added on top.

As usual, the GP customer service rep was very nice, very apologetic, and very willing to fix the errors.

However, from my side, it's very disconcerting to see this. None of the past 10 or so records show an error in my favor; half looked accurate, and the other half all had errors to Hyatt's benefit. Definitely will be tracking this more closely in the future. Between this and all the other snafus and glitche, I now know not to trust Hyatt's systems for anything. As expressed earlier in this thread, why is it the customer's responsibility to babysit the system and do all this constant follow-up, particularly when these apparently are *known issues* to the company? If this is human error, train your people appropriately. If it's a computer problem, fix it.

Increasingly frustrated with Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.