Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
eply
I’ve cut my business with Hyatt over half from my past 100 nights a year
as a result of declining breakfast benefits and devaluations of points especially at aspirational properties
I’m more than ever changing course focusing on value & cost becoming a fully free spirit
and equal opportunity program user more than ever before
For many years I felt Hyatt was one stop shopping and felt they comprehensively took care
of me at each and every stay

Still like Hyatt however monetizing the elite breakfast benefit we all earned is plain and simply deeply disappointing and a poor showing on their part
Those days seem further and further away in the past now.
My problem in South Korea is certain Hyatts making buffet breakfasts so bad that I don't want to eat there. I guess it's pick your poison with a $33 upchargeable limit here or a 45,000 won ($36 USD) buffet that's no good.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Those days seem further and further away in the past now.
My problem in South Korea is certain Hyatts making buffet breakfasts so bad that I don't want to eat there. I guess it's pick your poison with a $33 upchargeable limit here or a 45,000 won ($36 USD) buffet that's no good.
Just to be clear it’s not a $33 limit. It’s really a $19 limit because if you order anything than the two eggs entree for $19 it’s upcharge even if you don’t hit the $33 total. That’s my real problem with this. It’s taking the Hyatt terms and making it into literally you have a single entree choice. Pretty soon we will see that become the $15 then $10 then $5 item.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:27 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by olouie
Just to be clear it’s not a $33 limit. It’s really a $19 limit because if you order anything than the two eggs entree for $19 it’s upcharge even if you don’t hit the $33 total. That’s my real problem with this. It’s taking the Hyatt terms and making it into literally you have a single entree choice. Pretty soon we will see that become the $15 then $10 then $5 item.
Appreciate the heads up I will put this on the must avoid list if accurate
This is purely shocking and needs to be documented with "Hyatt Consumer Affairs" to see if its even allowable.
This is all new news to me and shocking never heard of this.Something like this if it catches on could easily further cut my business with Hyatt
to less than 20 or 30 nights a year.I earned my lifetime status not to have it sliced to toast and coffee.
Hope this is yet just another greedy hotel ownership trying to game the system like some select others that attempt to micro manage elite benefits
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Appreciate the heads up I will put this on the must avoid list if accurate
This is purely shocking and needs to be documented with "Hyatt Consumer Affairs" to see if its even allowable.
This is all new news to me and shocking never heard of this.Something like this if it catches on could easily further cut my business with Hyatt
to less than 20 or 30 nights a year.I earned my lifetime status not to have it sliced to toast and coffee.
Hope this is yet just another greedy hotel ownership trying to game the system like some select others that attempt to micro manage elite benefits
Putting it on a "must avoid" list without taking other factors into account seems a bit extreme.

The breakfast situation, as described by olouie, is pretty bad. But this property is priced lower than most comparable Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG and other/independent brands in the area.

Do I think the breakfast situation is a positive? No.

Does it mean I'm going to completely remove this property from consideration when looking at lower Manhattan hotels purely because of a (relative to some other Hyatts) poor breakfast policy? Of course not.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:00 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Putting it on a "must avoid" list without taking other factors into account seems a bit extreme.

The breakfast situation, as described by olouie, is pretty bad. But this property is priced lower than most comparable Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG and other/independent brands in the area.

Do I think the breakfast situation is a positive? No.

Does it mean I'm going to completely remove this property from consideration when looking at lower Manhattan hotels purely because of a (relative to some other Hyatts) poor breakfast policy? Of course not.
Excellent Fully respected
That's an individual choice.None the less
Its the sole reason as one example I do not return to the Grand Hyatt NYC presently poor breakfast/bad benefit to boot with closed restaurants and lounge
and grab and go as the dining option.Unlike others I actually love my accommodations/upgrades there
I do happily pay up charges when the food quality is stellar and the elite earned in house benefit is still reasonable

Breakfast is important to some and not others just like quiet rooms vs noisy ones subjective.I started staying with Hyatt for value many years ago
In those days breakfast was an event in many of the hotels and especially their premium club lounges.More and more I
see a commoditized product and could be any brand as benefits partially erode

I see myself as a free agent where a given property makes me the happiest and with that said with gratitude reaching most of the lifetime elite tiers
allows me the greater flexibility to achieve outstanding experiences and value.For the first time in many years I am doing better
in some of the other programs and have a greater
flexibility than what Hyatt has to offer more frequently than I ever would have imagined .That simply wasn't the case pre pandemic
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:24 pm

Surprised no one complained in this suite before but one of the big windows was missing it’s seals so lots of cold air was rushing in. Maintenance was nice but said they only had some masking tape to try and block it off. Better but not great as NYC is in a cold snap this weekend.

At least we were able to get a space heater.

Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don’t mind the $33 limit but to have it super limited to a single entree choice with up-charge even if under $33 is really really bad.
"Single entree choice" meaning there's only one item on the menu you're allowed to have, or that you can't choose two entrees?

Noting that the Globalist benefit is defined to include an entree, juice, coffee. There's no entitlement to two entrees.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
"Single entree choice" meaning there's only one item on the menu you're allowed to have, or that you can't choose two entrees?

Noting that the Globalist benefit is defined to include an entree, juice, coffee. There's no entitlement to two entrees.
There is a single item that you can select without upcharge. If you order anything but that one it costs extra.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is a single item that you can select without upcharge. If you order anything but that one it costs extra.
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, that sucks.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
Did this hotel leave the Prive program? Doesn't appear to be bookable anymore.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, that sucks.
There was a different person working breakfast today and instead of the globalist breakfast item she entered each item into the system and said the front desk would have to handle it. So I went over and waited until someone showed up. Front desk attendant didn't know what the hotel actually does for the globalist benefit, but could see that my first breakfast was entered as lunch for over $100 and second breakfast was only entered as $20 (was around $76 on the receipt). He said I should check back when I checkout to see what actually happens. Not looking forward to that as it seems like most likely there will be a lot of wrong charges and escalations.

Things are a bit wonky at this hotel. The front desk is often left unstaffed and in room phones dont work (just ringtone but preset buttons do nothing bc programming is prob left over from Andaz). Its too bad that this hotel has so much potential but just drops the ball.

Last edited by olouie; Mar 14, 2022 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I reached out to them based on the thread and my plan to stay there for Easter:

Our Globalists can choose a full breakfast (entrée & beverage & coffee/tea) from our a la cart restaurant breakfast menu. It is complimentary for up to 2 adults and 2 children per room. We recently opened so I believe perhaps some of the complaints were due to our system not billing the complimentary breakfasts accordingly. We have since rectified this issue and breakfast for our globalists should run smoothly!
Robert likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Markie
I reached out to them based on the thread and my plan to stay there for Easter:
Glad to hear it!

We have a stay there this weekend so will report back
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Surprised no one complained in this suite before but one of the big windows was missing it’s seals so lots of cold air was rushing in. Maintenance was nice but said they only had some masking tape to try and block it off. Better but not great as NYC is in a cold snap this weekend.

At least we were able to get a space heater.

Sounds like a rush job to reopen as a Centric.
olouie likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What if a Glob doesn't eat eggs? Would the person just get $9 for beverages at breakfast?

In the past, some Hyatts where one orders from the menu have allowed me to substitute breakfast potatoes or hash browns for the eggs in a bacon and eggs plate or allowed me to select two or three side dishes (such as potatoes (or an English muffin), bacon, and fresh fruit) in place of a main course for breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.