Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at this place over the labor day weekend. Breakfast was not good -- I went out to eat elsewhere after the 1st morning. I was pretty disappointed in this hotel overall. The rooms looked like they got an uncoordinated high school student to put Ikea furniture together. "Free" mini bar was basically empty. No welcome amenity. The whole hotel felt like they were trying to save a dollar wherever they could. Elevators were out of order the whole time... you had to call down to the front desk to get them to send an elevator up. I left a bad review and will not be back.

A poster upthread said that this used to be the best breakfast of any US Hyatt.. If so, wow, how the mighty have fallen. Now it's not even worth eating for free (IMO of course)
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:05 am

I would confirm. The breakfast used to be outstanding when that property just opened.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I used to stay here often and, yes, breakfast was great. My last stay was about 2 years ago and the breakfast reviews had changed to negative, but I thought it couldn't be that bad. It was, and I was not treated well as a diamond either. I have not been back since.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I stayed at this place over the labor day weekend. Breakfast was not good -- I went out to eat elsewhere after the 1st morning. I was pretty disappointed in this hotel overall. The rooms looked like they got an uncoordinated high school student to put Ikea furniture together. "Free" mini bar was basically empty. No welcome amenity. The whole hotel felt like they were trying to save a dollar wherever they could. Elevators were out of order the whole time... you had to call down to the front desk to get them to send an elevator up. I left a bad review and will not be back.

A poster upthread said that this used to be the best breakfast of any US Hyatt.. If so, wow, how the mighty have fallen. Now it's not even worth eating for free (IMO of course)
How cheap can they get with taking elevators offline and summoning them on request? Both here and 5th Avenue had amazing breakfasts in their heydays. Local NY state produce and creative, delicious dishes. Both are just shells of what they used to be.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aventine
Both here and 5th Avenue had amazing breakfasts in their heydays. Local NY state produce and creative, delicious dishes. Both are just shells of what they used to be.
Yep. Andaz WS never recovered after Hurricane Sandy. Which is somewhat odd, considering the explosive growth in this part of town in recent years.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How cheap can they get with taking elevators offline and summoning them on request?
I think they were just out of order (rather, the call buttons did not work -- the elevators themselves worked fine) but given the "feel" of the hotel it wouldn't surprise me if they were just skimping on maintenance and putting it off as long as possible. Also the maintenance people seemed totally baffled by the problem... declaring it fixed, only to have it stop working an hour later.

I still need to find a "go-to" Hyatt in NY. I wasn't particularly impressed with the Grand Hyatt in Grand Central station either (although, I did like it more than the Andaz Wall St). I ended up eating breakfast elsewhere as well since the lounge food was so bad. Probably I just need to look to more expensive properties... $250-$300 / night in manhattan is not going to get you the same quality as it gets you elsewhere. Maybe I should just be buying points and using them for the Park Hyatt... I don't know. Too bad the point purchase limit is so low

Last edited by VegasGambler; Dec 9, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think they were just out of order (rather, the call buttons did not work -- the elevators themselves worked fine) but given the "feel" of the hotel it wouldn't surprise me if they were just skimping on maintenance and putting it off as long as possible. Also the maintenance people seemed totally baffled by the problem... declaring it fixed, only to have it stop working an hour later.

I still need to find a "go-to" Hyatt in NY. I wasn't particularly impressed with the Grand Hyatt in Grand Central station either (although, I did like more the Andaz Wall St). I ended up eating breakfast elsewhere as well since the lounge food was so bad. Probably I just need to look to more expensive properties... $250-$300 / night in manhattan is not going to get you the same quality as it gets you elsewhere. Maybe I should just be buying points and using them for the Park Hyatt... I don't know. Too bad the point purchase limit is so low
You should try 5th Avenue, perhaps?

I'd never pay a cash rate for PH but it can be a decent redemption for points.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:44 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I'd be surprised if the hotel is a Hyatt in 5 years
They haven't maintained the property as they should
they have gotten tighter on upgrades,the room service menu is dreadful and whats left of the in fridge amenities dwindling to next to nothing
The fitness center and the previously elegant restaurant both closed now a Dina Rat diner or something like that and the fitness center a meeting room
with a downgraded gym and lesser equipment
Loved the hotel for sometime but as others have said they have been on a downward spiral since hurricane Sandy
Met some great team members over the years
They also have a huge problem with heating and air conditioning I have roasted in the hotel seating in my sleep or been frozen like a Popsicle
Having said all that I would consider going back in the right circumstances
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I left my review upthread from my stay last summer and I agreed the breakfast was Hyatt Place quality. And, the gym is sorry indeed, and the minibar isn't much.

I was rather happy with the stay altogether still. I thought the room was comfortable and liked the bathtub (I was upgraded to a 'deluxe' room) even if some of the hardware was showing signs of age. I was happy to see the guy come by in the evening to ask if there was anything we wanted refreshed in the minibar and he was very accommodating, (didn't mind giving me extra of whatever I wanted). And, the property seems to have cash rates that aren't all that bad, it's not like they are typically pricing this place at luxury hotel levels. Not sure how Andaz 5th (with its recent complaints) is worth about double the price.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Just checked in for a short stay, and it's my first time back in several years. Things are not off to the best start, but I need to be nearby, so the location can't be beat. Unfortunately downtown rates are pretty high this week, and the price was about the same as the Andaz 5th Ave. Still wondering if the longish subway ride would have been worth it.

At check-in, the FD agent mentioned a wonderful upgrade, but then I ended up in the exact Andaz Suite that I paid for. Is it that hard to see what a guest initially booked? I guess so, because I feel like every hotel chain does this when booking a suite.

I still love the bathrooms here, but as others have mentioned the furniture is showing some age. I'm not sure how a lampshade can possibly get so stained, and another lamp in the room has no bulb. The bedding is still quite comfortable though. I can't imagine this place gets my business after the two Thompson properties are fully integrated, but it's nice to have a semi-decent option in the area for the time being.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; UA 1K, 1MM; Hyatt Globalist
Gild Hall-a Wall Street alternative

I'm staying at Gild Hall this weekend, a Thompson Hotel that is now available through Hyatt. It's a 3-5 minute walk from the Andaz Wall Street. Very nice property with a nice Italian restaurant/bar and they recognized my Globalist status in all the right ways-breakfast, waived destination fee, late checkout, better room than I reserved, (although not a true upgrade), all proactively granted without request. Staff has been friendly and accommodating. Rooms are smallish but comfortable.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jim31328
I'm staying at Gild Hall this weekend, a Thompson Hotel that is now available through Hyatt. It's a 3-5 minute walk from the Andaz Wall Street. Very nice property with a nice Italian restaurant/bar and they recognized my Globalist status in all the right ways-breakfast, waived destination fee, late checkout, better room than I reserved, (although not a true upgrade), all proactively granted without request. Staff has been friendly and accommodating. Rooms are smallish but comfortable.
Probably deserves its own thread.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Totally OT, but I think Axe had a key scene in front of this hotel on Billions last week free advertising!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Stayed here a couple weeks ago for the first time in a long time because of the rate/location and I was pleasantly surprised. My room was fine, no complaints at all, and the bathroom was great. Breakfast was actually good (unlike my last stay) - ordered from menu + buffet so I had an omelet and fruit. And the happy hour wine was great while in my room working the first evening. No issues with elevators (as mentioned on these threads).
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably deserves its own thread.
I don't know; I think that the fact that a good number of posts in this thread are discussing alternative places to stay in the area tells you a lot of what you need to know about this hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.