Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by gunksny
a) LIRR to Penn Station (34st/7ave) NYC - $10.25 peak / $7.50 off peak ($16/$14 if you buy onboard the train). Nicer, larger trains than the subway. Total cost to Penn Station : $15.25 peak/$12.50 off peak. Travel time to Penn Station :~ 35 minutes
Lower LIRR fare available on Weekend:

Pay $4.25 for travel within New York City on Saturdays/Sundays. Valid on day of purchase only; cannot be combined with other tickets. Ticket is sold at Ticket Windows or Ticket Machines located in Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens.

Also note that the Ticket vending machines to buy Metro Cards at the AirTrain station can get swamped. So much so that there are "entrepreneurs" there selling metro cards with a "convenience fee" to avoid the lines.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:21 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Just to let you know, the transit explanations in this thread are extremely helpful. Thanks to all who posted.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Just to let you know, the transit explanations in this thread are extremely helpful. Thanks to all who posted.
Let's not forget about those that want to fly into Newark (EWR). Take the Skytrain to the Newark Airport train station. Then take the train to NY Penn Station. Then a short walk to the subway station at 34th St and take the #2 Subway to Wall Street. Total cost around $16.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Let's not forget about those that want to fly into Newark (EWR). Take the Skytrain to the Newark Airport train station. Then take the train to NY Penn Station. Then a short walk to the subway station at 34th St and take the #2 Subway to Wall Street. Total cost around $16.
vs. Uber for $45. No thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
vs. Uber for $45. No thanks.
Well, the OP seemed to be looking for the cheapest options, but it does make sense to weigh all transit cost deltas vs. tolerances for associated levels of pain and suffering - obviously, this analysis will vary for different people.

I've updated my original post (#824) with yellow cab/UBER estimates. Here are estimates from the 3 major airports in the area to the ANDAZ Wall St:

JFK ->anywhere in Manhattan

http://uberestimate.com/fare/9vaexkiw/

EWR -> Andaz Wall St

http://uberestimate.com/fare/lixx/

LGA -> Andaz Wall St

http://uberestimate.com/fare/b203/

Last edited by gunksny; Jun 18, 2017 at 8:09 am
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well, the OP seemed to be looking for the cheapest options, but it does make sense to weigh all transit cost deltas vs. tolerances for associated levels of pain and suffering - obviously, this analysis will vary for different people.
Yes that's absolutely a fair comment.

I would just caution those who have never experienced a Penn Station transfer against making one just to save a few bucks. Especially with luggage. Not to mention NJT's unreliability . . . it can easily take an hour from EWR to Penn Station.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:41 am

Yes that's absolutely a fair comment.

I would just caution those who have never experienced a Penn Station transfer against making one just to save a few bucks. Especially with luggage. Not to mention NJT's unreliability . . . it can easily take an hour from EWR to Penn Station.
Totally agree - the cheaper options often sound fine and painless in theory, but in practice can quickly turn hellacious. The "schlepping/transferring/dealing" is precisely why I usually choose the bus if I'm not in a car - might be different if I were a student however.

Last edited by gunksny; Jun 18, 2017 at 9:50 am
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Yes- this property feels (and honestly looks) like a shell of itself (for context, I started staying a month into opening and it was the clear #1 Hyatt option in NYC...I would argue that it was a top option regardless of hotel loyalty.)

Check-in used to be proactive (similar to how Andaz London continues to be) and very friendly. Last time, not so much. I would write it off to a single average incident but it has overall felt worse and worse for the past few years.

Room is starting to show signs of age. Still a great bed but the furnishings have seen better days (e.g. paneling over fridge door has come detached, drawers are scratched up, hangers are cheap/thin vs. suit hangers that used to be stocked)

The complimentary snacks are sad. I recall having a few quality options to nosh on; now? a small chocolate bar and a Kashi granola bar. Sure it's better than a regular Hilton or Sheraton but Andaz positions (and prices) it self well above that.

Service: I know it's been a while but it's still a huge downgrade that room service was removed from the diamond (or -ugh- globalist) benefit. Service at Wall & Water was above average; many menu items were unavailable but I had the omelette and it was satisfactory. Did find it odd that there was a 17% service charge for sitting/dining at the bar. Not a huge deal but briefly caught my attention.

In summary- I love Andaz properties and go out of my way to stay at them whenever possible. Andaz WS was the first one I stayed at and did set the bar for me for quite a while (London is still a great property but also showing signs of wear/tear/age) but it's gone down quite a bit and I no longer see it as a top option in NYC. I hope it can reclaim some of it's early glory and go back to setting the bar.

Originally Posted by footastic
Wow. Shocking how far downhill this place has gone.

Requested High Room - on a good suite rate. Arrive room is trashed on 7th floor. Smells like weed and has hair and dirt in the tub area(like someone washed a dog and left). Literal writing on the wall in a few Rooms? Tub won't drain sink won't drain. Engineer is creepy and eyeing my girlfriend The nice light control doesn't work right cause standard switches exsist for a few random lights meaning all off involves running around the room.

Called down for breakfast hours 6-11 great! get down at 1030 no sorry just told to leave. No coffee pots in room. Room service won't bring coffee too room. Lobby coffee is out. KILL ME I need coffee.

Try to early check out and bite the bullet and move to 5th. Basically was told even on a refundable rate they have a 2 night early departure fee.

No diamond acknlowdgement or amenity offer.

Oh yeah and the glasses in the room have wierd brown flecks all over them. Gross!

Sucks
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by mohan12
Service at Wall & Water was above average; many menu items were unavailable but I had the omelette and it was satisfactory. Did find it odd that there was a 17% service charge for sitting/dining at the bar. Not a huge deal but briefly caught my attention.
Confused by this comment. Surely you are not referring to a recent stay, as Wall & Water has been closed for at least two years. Breakfast is now a buffet at Dina Rata.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Yes you are correct - it was Dina Rata. It was not a buffet though; I was provided an a-la-carte menu (albeit with a number of items unavailable)

I was using pics I took to refresh my memory (stay was in late May; I try to avoid posting reviews right away to be as fair as possible)

Pic in elevator - notice restaurant name: http://i.imgur.com/DfToisu.jpg

Sad snacks: http://i.imgur.com/K8NcG9q.jpg

Confused by this comment. Surely you are not referring to a recent stay, as Wall & Water has been closed for at least two years. Breakfast is now a buffet at Dina Rata.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:05 am

Anyone with recent experiences at this property? Also - do any of the rooms have pullout couches (appears not)?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:31 am

Anyone with recent experiences at this property? Also - do any of the rooms have pullout couches (appears not)?
No recent update here. Been avoiding this property. To answer your other question, there isn't any pullout couches. I haven't stayed at their top suites, so not sure regarding those.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

No, even top suites won't have pullout. You'll need a rollaway.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:25 am

I've updated my original post (#824) with yellow cab/UBER estimates. Here are estimates from the 3 major airports in the area to the ANDAZ Wall St:

JFK ->anywhere in Manhattan

http://uberestimate.com/fare/9vaexkiw/

EWR -> Andaz Wall St

http://uberestimate.com/fare/lixx/

LGA -> Andaz Wall St

http://uberestimate.com/fare/b203/
Unless this has been mentioned previously, anyone evaluating the EWR to Andaz Wall Street fare(s) should remember that the passenger is also responsible for the $15.00 eastbound cash toll for the Holland Tunnel. The EZ Pass rate is $13.50 or so.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:32 pm

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in early August. We had booked an Andaz suite, and were upgraded to a larger corner suite on the 20th floor prior to arrival. I learned from a rooms supervisor that neither would have a pull out sofa, and he arranged for a good sized rollaway to be in the bed room prior to arrival.

We did experience a few miscues with the FD staff on our first night, but everything was promptly reserved to our satisfaction.

The rooms were showing some some sign of wear, i.e. the veneer on the closet doors was showing signs of peeling and some of the furnishings had seen better days, however none of this detracted from our guest experience,

There was a wide variety of soft drinks and bottled water in the refrigerator, along with a wide variety of snacks on the counter; both were replenished throughout our stay.

The Globalist breakfast in Dina Rata was the full buffet, which had a wide variety of hot and cold items that were well prepared and presented. Service at breakfast was very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.