FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Where did the Park Hyatt Philadelphia go? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1038148-where-did-park-hyatt-philadelphia-go.html)

WeedOCSD Jan 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Where did the Park Hyatt Philadelphia go?

I just noticed the Park Hyatt Philadelphia is now the Hyatt at the Bellevue. Is this in lieu of a remodel?

NJUPINTHEAIR Jan 11, 2010 4:02 am

Originally Posted by WeedOCSD (Post 13155972)
I just noticed the Park Hyatt Philadelphia is now the Hyatt at the Bellevue. Is this in lieu of a remodel?

Appears to be a downgrade.

thc Jan 11, 2010 6:31 am

Yeah it says on the hotel homepage:

"Discover true grandeur, unrivaled style and service at our iconic downtown Philadelphia hotel. Situated on the famous Avenue of the Arts, Hyatt at The Bellevue (formerly Park Hyatt Philadelphia at the Bellevue)"

I wonder how the hotel management feels about this. I always found the staff at this hotel to be a little full of themselves and think that the hotel was nicer than it really was. I hated staying there when I had to be in Center City for work, and I stopped and stayed at Penn's Landing instead and would just cab it to Center City.

And this also now leaves just 4 PH properties in the US.

rfrost Jan 11, 2010 7:48 am

I wonder if this means no more glasses of champers at checkin? I thought it was a nice touch.

paytonc Jan 11, 2010 11:31 am

Originally Posted by thc (Post 13157214)
And this also now leaves just 4 PH properties in the US.

Four? Chicago, DC, and Beaver Creek are the only ones that come to mind.

thezipper Jan 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Yup... with LA gone, and now Philly... only Toronto, and those quoted is left in NA

Originally Posted by paytonc (Post 13158937)

thc Jan 11, 2010 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by paytonc (Post 13158937)

sorry. i mean 3

Shangri-La Feb 5, 2010 9:55 am

What's going with the Park Hyatt in the U.S.?

JFKSFOLAX_friend Feb 5, 2010 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Shangri-La (Post 13331652)
What's going with the Park Hyatt in the U.S.?

They are disappearing quicker than they are being replaced.

Is this surprising given the current state of the economy and credit markets?

bsdstone Feb 5, 2010 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend (Post 13332614)
They are disappearing quicker than they are being replaced.

Is this surprising given the current state of the economy and credit markets?

Not surprising, but certainly disappointing!:(

etsmyers Feb 5, 2010 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone (Post 13332645)
Not surprising, but certainly disappointing!:(

esp since there are still W's being opened. I know they appeal to different groups, but both are still high $ properties.

JFKSFOLAX_friend Feb 5, 2010 2:57 pm

I think the Chambers Hotel in Minneapolis could have been a nice PH...but, Le Meridien scooped it up. It was branded LeM on Feb. 1, 2010. (How many new Starwood properties does Minneapolis need? Ivy, W, aloft, Westin, LeM....and that's only Minneapolis proper. I am not even counting the new Westin in Edina and whatever has been built in St. Paul.)

azepine00 Feb 5, 2010 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers (Post 13333531)
esp since there are still W's being opened. I know they appeal to different groups, but both are still high $ properties.

W is currently the worst performer for SPG (26% drop in REVPAR)
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Hyatt seems to focus more on growing Andaz brand rather than PH.

jim87 Feb 6, 2010 9:16 am

Limitations

Originally Posted by WeedOCSD (Post 13155972)

I spoke with the asst. GM during a mid January stay. He indicated that although they will be refurbishing this well worn property, the space limitations of the old building style make it impractical to upgrade the bathrooms to PH standards.

Orange44 Feb 6, 2010 9:41 am

Just stayed there last week. No champagne at check in. First room they put me in smelled like burnt rubber. Next room was nicer, but well worn. Evening biscuits & lemonade to the room was a nice touch. Tired hotel. Doesn;t deserve to be a Park Hyatt property so the downgrade is sensible.