Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Diamond Suite Upgrade Inventory <> Hotel Available Inventory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Suite Upgrade Inventory <> Hotel Available Inventory

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:06 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
PHS does not participate

I spoke to the property directly last week. They do not participate in the suite upgrade program.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:45 pm

Interesting thread. Now this question comes to my mind for Hyatt Regency properties: some have Deluxe King, Executive King/Twin etc. In the room description none of those though is mentioned to be a suite.

The first and only room where the word 'suite' is actually mentioned in the room usually turns out to be the 'Regency Suite'.

So, could this then be seen as an entry level suite? As most still have 'real' suites above that, i.e. Regency Executive, Ambassador, President Suite etc.

What's the take on this?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by mmhk
Interesting thread. Now this question comes to my mind for Hyatt Regency properties: some have Deluxe King, Executive King/Twin etc. In the room description none of those though is mentioned to be a suite.

The first and only room where the word 'suite' is actually mentioned in the room usually turns out to be the 'Regency Suite'.

So, could this then be seen as an entry level suite? As most still have 'real' suites above that, i.e. Regency Executive, Ambassador, President Suite etc.

What's the take on this?
I would interpret the "entry suite" to be the "Regency Suite" in this case - might help if you named the property so we can see what the room categories being presented are.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
I would interpret the "entry suite" to be the "Regency Suite" in this case - might help if you named the property so we can see what the room categories being presented are.
Was just meant to be more general. But two, which come up in my mind, would be the 'non participating' Hyatt Regency Kyoto (if you don't consider the other rooms being mentioned as a 'suite' or 'speciality suite' and also the Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Tsim Sha Tsui/Shatin. Those spring up my mind first. There are others though which I don't remember at the moment.

Overall, I have to admit that I find this opting out by some properties a bit sketchy. Seems they do as they like. Unless there may be an official list provided by Hyatt GP/Hyatt, we may run into difficulties with some properties if we decide to use the cert as we can't really prove our point/stance.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by mmhk

Overall, I have to admit that I find this opting out by some properties a bit sketchy. Seems they do as they like. Unless there may be an official list provided by Hyatt GP/Hyatt, we may run into difficulties with some properties if we decide to use the cert as we can't really prove our point/stance.
I agree. Confirmed upgrades are the greatest feature of Hyatt's program (in my opinion). Since there are fewer Hyatt hotels, it is more difficult to be reach Diamond (for those that travel to areas not covered by Hyatt). Suite upgrades are very important to keeping the loyalty of those customers that could defect to a different brand.

And beyond that, I would bet it is an important benefit to nearly all diamonds.

Overall I love Hyatt, in large part because of the people and the confirmed upgrades. But diluting the confirmed upgrade program (by some hotels opting out), should not be permitted.

However this ability of hotels to opt out would be in direct contradiction with what Karen said on this forum, and with what GP consistently tells me on the phone. So clarification is needed here.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Hyatt has made the best out of the difficult circumstances for the industry this year and they have taken GP to a new level for Diamond members. I was a big supporter of Hyatt (I am based in Asia and stay mostly at their terrific properties in Asia-Pacific and Europe). It is crucial for the success of these new changes that there is consistency among all Hyatt properties. This should be enforced with no exception.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:53 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
So shouldn't we all be emailing Hyatt and communicating our displeasure in order to affect some change to stop more properties opting out of the suite upgrade program?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by m0hamed
So shouldn't we all be emailing Hyatt and communicating our displeasure in order to affect some change to stop more properties opting out of the suite upgrade program?
Once again, loyalty programs are designed to offer surplus capacity to loyal customers...so availability is the key word. Hyatt is one strange hybrid owning, leasing, franchising hotels ranging from a Hyatt Place that goes for $ 60 a night to properties that sell suites as residencies for a couple of months or years in the multi-million range...

Forcing the issue will not help under any circumstance, simply because each hotel individually knows best what can be done and what should be done to increase customer loyalty / customer life time value. The vast vast majority signed up to the idea that a loyalty program is beneficial for a good chunk of their customers and the current amenities puts GPP in a position that is superior to most of the competition. Remember, you can use a FFN everywhere and anytime, not limited to categories and weekends or numbers of free nights that can earned ( SPG and PC...)

Of course, when you implement new rules, every hotel has to have a right to opt out partially or completely and so far Hyatt has done a good job keeping every hotel on the same page ( except Madeleine and GH Manchester ), which is not the case at Hilton ( Monterey, CA or Seattle come to mind ) or Starwood ( Dubai, anyone.. ) where several properties opted out of the loyalty program...

I recommend to take a more subtle road, let us collect data to have an informed overview of suites at all properties, what was available and might be available. Do not force the issue, because this enhancement would be ROI/ROMI negative, if it would be forced with the consequence that it is gone soon...( take the airlines as the prime example...)

Loss of potential revenue for a suite is simply too high and some hotels have only a few suites or very special ( expensive ) ones that are sold frequently

I have spoken to some Hyatt managers responsible for the implementation in the last months and all of them certainly confirmed what is written above, they make one available when they do not expect it to be sold anyway ( and always keep one or two in case somebody really needs it on a short notice )

It is always better to contact the hotel individually and see what can be done. Expecting a hotel to honor a ( forced ) upgrade when they can sell all of their inventory is unrealistic.

To give you one example, take the Hyatt Regency Mainz. They only have two different suites, the Regency Suite ( 90 sqm ) and the Presidential Suite ( 150 sqm ) They could opt out of the program, because they do not have entry level suites, but they don't do it and actually made and make this suite available for upgrades ( using the old way and new digital certs. )

Forcing them to honor suite upgrades would not help anyone, because they would simply opt out, simply because they sell the suites very frequently...

Last edited by FD1971; Dec 10, 2009 at 3:32 am
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:25 am

I disagree. It's a program benefit, not certain property benefit.

I would feel the same if Park Hyatt Sydney said "We don't offer free internet" or "we don't offer free breakfast."

One chooses a loyalty program for many reasons, but to me the suite upgrades certificates that were guaranteed were the reason I switched to GP. At SPG when a hotel tells a platinum that there are no suites available, the Platinum Liaison if called by the guest will enforce the upgrade, overriding the property.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by m0hamed

At SPG when a hotel tells a platinum that there are no suites available, the Platinum Liaison if called by the guest will enforce the upgrade, overriding the property.
Not correct, as SPG Platinum members are only entitled to Standard Suites upgrades.

Small difference in wording, huge difference in reality
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:35 am

I meant that when you check into say the W Times Square, and they say "sorry there are no suites" but we have a corner room, and you check on spg.com and discover there are in fact some suites available, the Platinum Liaison will override the property decision. This is a commonplace under SPG.

As a former plat I have also been given specialty suites, including the Ambassador, Royal or Presidential suites at some properties.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
Of course, when you implement new rules, every hotel has to have a right to opt out partially or completely and so far Hyatt has done a good job keeping every hotel on the same page ( except Madeleine and GH Manchester ), which is not the case at Hilton ( Monterey, CA or Seattle come to mind ) or Starwood ( Dubai, anyone.. ) where several properties opted out of the loyalty program...

I recommend to take a more subtle road, let us collect data to have an informed overview of suites at all properties, what was available and might be available. Do not force the issue, because this enhancement would be ROI/ROMI negative, if it would be forced with the consequence that it is gone soon...( take the airlines as the prime example...)

Loss of potential revenue for a suite is simply too high and some hotels have only a few suites or very special ( expensive ) ones that are sold frequently

I have spoken to some Hyatt managers responsible for the implementation in the last months and all of them certainly confirmed what is written above, they make one available when they do not expect it to be sold anyway ( and always keep one or two in case somebody really needs it on a short notice )

It is always better to contact the hotel individually and see what can be done. Expecting a hotel to honor a ( forced ) upgrade when they can sell all of their inventory is unrealistic.

To give you one example, take the Hyatt Regency Mainz. They only have two different suites, the Regency Suite ( 90 sqm ) and the Presidential Suite ( 150 sqm ) They could opt out of the program, because they do not have entry level suites, but they don't do it and actually made and make this suite available for upgrades ( using the old way and new digital certs. )

Forcing them to honor suite upgrades would not help anyone, because they would simply opt out, simply because they sell the suites very frequently...
Madeleine & GH SAN (much as I dislike that place) are fully compliant now (since last year when they are no longer exempt from FFN redemption which was the only part of the GP program that they weren't in compliance with).

Hyatt GP does need to clarify this Suite Upgrade benefit - which property has opted out of the program and that there are capacity controls in place. For example, the Park Hyatt Chicago has never allowed suite upgrades to be used since they have few suites but actually more than the HR Mainz (which actually has 3 - 2 of the Regency Suites & the Presidential). Usage of the suite upgrade here is great since the paid rate on a regular room is fairly low and the suites are very nice (we used one in August).
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:22 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Dear FlyerTalk Members:

Thank you for your patience while we researched the hotels that are mentioned in this thread regarding the Diamond Suite Upgrade. The following properties do not participate in the Diamond Suite Upgrade due to only having speciality suites:

1) Hyatt Regency Kyoto
2) Hyatt Regency Paris-Madeleine
3) Park Hyatt Sydney
4) Park Hyatt Beaver Creek

In regards to the questions about entry level suites on a paid rate, as long as the entry level suite is available for a paid rate it will be available for the Diamond Suite Upgrade. A Junior Suite is included in the entry level and is seen as a 1 bedroom suite. All Diamond Suite Upgrades are subject to availability at time of booking. Thank you again for all of the feedback. I hope this helps clarify some of the confusion regarding the upgrade certificates.

Sincerely,

Karen Smith
Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:59 pm

Thank you Karen!! Please let us know if the list of non-participating properties change in the future.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
entry level suites on a paid rate, as long as the entry level suite is available for a paid rate it will be available for the Diamond Suite Upgrade. A Junior Suite is included in the entry level and is seen as a 1 bedroom suite.
Karen, Can you look at this again?

1 bedroom accommodations should have a door to a bedroom that closes. In all the junior suites I've been in, all it is a larger room, perhaps "L" shaped. I don't consider that a suite, but instead a large room.

Had I used my hard earned points for an award for a suite and been given a Junior suite, you can bet I would be more than a little upset.

While this new benefit is great, I think this provision is a bit problematic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.