Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Deerfield (Illinois - N Chicago) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Deerfield (Illinois - N Chicago) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 13, 16, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Regency status seems to be defined by Hyatt largely in terms of conference facilities, not quality or the existence of a lounge.
Old Sep 30, 16, 4:02 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond Hyatt Globalist AA Platinum
Stayed there last week and am heading back for this weekend. Definitely not my favorite hotel, that is for sure. Check in was kind of a joke with no mention of status until I asked for points over amenity. Keys were not working, so had to be walked to my room. Room was nice with the suite setup and the breakfast certs are fantastic since they work at Starbucks as well.

Lobby is well appointed, but the staff just seems to not care at all. I will add, if you are coming from the highway, the U-Turn you have to make to get into hotel drives me mad...haha
Old Sep 30, 16, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Dia, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
I will add, if you are coming from the highway, the U-Turn you have to make to get into hotel drives me mad...haha
If you don't like the U-turn on Lake Cook coming from 294, just take a left onto Wilmot Rd, then the first left is the complex / parking lot for the Hyatt Deerfield.
Old Sep 6, 17, 7:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I want to like this hotel

Hyatt Regency Deerfield

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Hyatt Regency Deerfield

1750 Lake Cook Rd Deerfield, IL US 60015

I want to like this hotel (3 Photos)

Hyatt Regency Deerfield

I want to like this hotel more because it is so darn convenient to my client so I can't totally bash it. The rooms are all spacious studio suites which make them bigger than the average hotel room, There is a sleeping area and sitting area that is separated by a big book case. The TV swivels so you can watch it from the living area or the sleeping area. The hotel has a good restaurant and it is reasonably priced for hotels. They have a fake Starbucks in the lobby, though the people who man it are super sweet. The front desk is inconsistent with their service. You have to remind them of your Globalist benefits. If you are a Globalist be prepared to stop by the front desk to get your free upgraded internet adjusted off the bill at the end of your stay. Especially annoying since it negates being able to use self checkout. In my two months staying here I have had to stop by every time to get it adjusted off. Globalist also receive free breakfast certs which are frequently not given without prompting. They allow you to have 
a. the buffet in the restaurant 
b. a breakfast entree in the restaurant with a drink 
c. an item from SBUX and a drink
They will frequently give you 2 free drink coupons, but that too is inconsistently given 

My biggest complaint is that on two occasions I pulled back the comforter and it honestly looked like someone had slept in the bed. On a separate occasion, I checked in late and got in the bed and in the middle of the night, I realized I was touching bare mattress. They don't use fitted sheets so a flat is tucked in and used as the bottom sheet. Basically the bed was short sheeted. Rather than take the 20 seconds to put the sheet on correctly they left a gap at the top near the headboard and so as soon as you got in bare mattress was exposed. The sides of the sheets, which should have been top/bottom were stuffed with sheet. I was disgusted and had to get up in the middle of the night and completely remake a king size bed. 
Overall I suggest you check everything before accepting it. I have had problems with broken remotes, non functioning hair dryers, dirty sheets, short sheeted beds, keys that don't work. Also check your bill at check out meticulously as errors are abundant.

Great if you are visting one of the local companies in the area.

Dining

The hotel has a good restaurant and it is reasonably priced for hotels. They have a fake Starbucks in the lobby, though the people who man it are super sweet.Globalist receive free breakfast certs which are frequently not given without prompting. They allow you to have 
a. the buffet in the restaurant

b. a breakfast entree in the restaurant with a drink 
c. an item from SBUX and a drink
They will frequently give you 2 free drink coupons, but that too is inconsistently given. 

The breakfast is good and quick

Service

The hotel is pretty slow and mediocre at answering requests. Even though there are multiple buttons on the phone for housekeeping, room service, front desk, etc they all go to the same place. It is just easier to dial 0 and ask for the place you want.

Room

The rooms are all spacious studio suites which make them bigger than the average hotel room, There is a sleeping area and sitting area that is separated by a big book case. The TV swivels so you can watch it from the living area or the sleeping area. 

1_IMG_1716.JPG

My favorite part is the charging dock by the bed that includes 3 plugs and 2 USB ports.

IMG_1715.JPG

My biggest complaint is that on two occasions I pulled back the comforter and it honestly looked like someone had slept in the bed. On a separate occasion, I checked in late and got in the bed and in the middle of the night, I realized I was touching bare mattress. They don't use fitted sheets so a flat is tucked in and used as the bottom sheet. Basically, the bed was short sheeted. Rather than take the 20 seconds to put the sheet on correctly they left a gap at the top near the headboard and so as soon as you got in bare mattress was exposed. The sides of the sheets, which should have been top/bottom were stuffed with excess sheet. I was disgusted and had to get up in the middle of the night and completely remake a king size bed. 

IMG_1714.JPG
Overall I suggest you check everything before accepting it. I have had problems with broken remotes, non-functioning hair dryers, dirty sheets, short sheeted beds, keys that don't work. Also check your bill at check out meticulously as errors are abundant.

Check In

The staff do not seem versed on benefits of status, so be prepared to nudge them and ask for your basic benefits. 

Overall

Just okay. They need better training.

I want to like this hotel

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Deerfield?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 6, 17, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Thank you prncess674 for the review and photos. Disappointing that this hotel continues to languish in mediocrity.
Old Sep 6, 17, 8:22 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Plat (LT Silver); Hyatt Globalist; Avis Pres Club
this property does make me nostalgic, started my Hyatt journey here and made Diamond. Was really close to my client. I'd stay at the Renaissance (skokie blvd?) sometimes
Old Mar 14, 18, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
$68 this weekend. Worthy of a mattress run. We may spend the night and have breakfast. We'll see if there are any updates to the royal review from Houston.
Old Apr 20, 18, 10:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Just wrapped up a 2 night stay for work. My experience mirrors recent reviews. Generally a disappointing stay, no upgrade for Globalist, dark rooms, confused / poor staff interactions. Meh all around.
Old Apr 22, 18, 9:50 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Hyatt Globalist
I've been staying here for about a year now (fly in sunday, fly out thursday) and I must say that I really like the hotel. Service from the front desk to the bar has always been excellent (and I see it a lot). Many of the bartenders have been there 20+ years and really make you feel at home. My only complaint about the place is that their heating/cooling system is building wide so the thermostat in your room is meaningless despite what they say. It was 74degree in my room last month before they turned the AC back on.

overall though the property is nicely kept up, if a bit aged. I would agree with those who have said that they don't always acknowledge globalists but you just have to ask for what you want.
Old Nov 7, 18, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Something?,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Quick update for anyone following along at home:
I'm with @sdadept: I feel like they try hard to recognize globalist status.
- They always give me drink coupons for the bar (1/person/day. Even for kids, which they love the ginger beer or mocktails).
- It's a little annoying that you use coupons for breakfast, BUT I've never been charged for an extra even if I didn't have enough coupons.
- Breakfast is decent. They're even willing to make Starbucks beverages to go with breakfast (and included in your "free" Globalist breakfast).
- I also concur that they have a lot of the same breakfast and bar staff. I've been there ~5 times in the last year, and some of the staff remembers me from the visits.
- They also generally put me in one of the larger rooms (ALL of the rooms are larger than average, and they very little inventory of actual "suites").
- The hotel has definitely been showing its age. During a prior stay I literally tripped on the carpet in the hallway a few times because it was bunching up.
- Also, if you're ever there for longer stays, you can get points/movies/credits for declining housekeeping. Which is certainly a nice little bonus.

But, the BIG news - they have a renovation of the 6th floor starting this week! The designs look really nice,and it looks like they're going to have a number of larger suites, as well as 2br and 3br.
One half (south) should be done in ~February, then they'll start on the second half finishing ~May. So hopefully by this summer they should have a good selection of suites available for upgrades.
sdadept likes this.