Would this be a phantom stay ?

Old Nov 5, 09, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Would this be a phantom stay ?

Either : 1-check in thru Hyatt.com, but check out in person the next morning? 2--check in through Hyatt 800 number, but check out in person the next day? 3--check in personnally Hyatt Express Check-in Kiosk through the lobby computirezed stand ( if that hotel has such), but do not check out in person? 4--check in via one of the first 3 methods mentioned, arrive physically later that night to get keys, etc--but do not check out in person? 5--check in in person physically in the evening--prior to let's say 2 AM, but do not check out in person?

Last edited by best; Nov 5, 09 at 4:08 pm
Old Nov 5, 09, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The T&C say you must occupy the room. Period.

Most of us do #3, 4, 5 all the time - and that's called a mattress run.

Last edited by Mary2e; Nov 6, 09 at 7:51 am Reason: OP changed the options.
Old Nov 5, 09, 3:30 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

1 & 2 could be considered a phantom / no show. 3, 4, & 5 should work fine.
Old Nov 5, 09, 3:57 pm

I would be present at check-in and ask to e-mail me my folio.

From Hyatt Web Check-In Terms and Conditions

• [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Old Nov 5, 09, 4:08 pm
Suspended

You can check-in online via Hyatt.com but you still must either:

1). then go to the hotel front desk and hand them your credit card for them to swipe it; or

2). then go to a check-in kiosk at the hotel (assuming the hotel has one) and swipe your credit card thru it --

in order for you to complete the online check-in process.

Just checking in via Hyatt.com and also not doing one of the above will vitiate the online check-in process and it most likely will result in your making a phantom stay.
Old Nov 5, 09, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I plan on checking into the HR at Reagan airport at 5pm and only go to the room to shower, mess the bed then catch my flight back home to LHR at 7pm then call them the following day to say I've checked out. All this on a prepaid room, I think it should be considered as an eligible stay, right?
Old Nov 5, 09, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crystak View Post
I plan on checking into the HR at Reagan airport at 5pm and only go to the room to shower, mess the bed then catch my flight back home to LHR at 7pm then call them the following day to say I've checked out. All this on a prepaid room, I think it should be considered as an eligible stay, right?
Absolutely. If you do either of the above as I have directed and then check out -- even if you call the front desk by phone the next day, you should be fine -- I have.

Further, it appears that some hotels are now permitting you to check out via the web -- i have received such e-mails but have yet to do it this way -- but it may save you the expense of that overseas phone call.

The important thing is the front end check in process, I think that one could argue that the check out is perfunctory. I believe many have been checked out of the hotel even though they never completed the check out process, the hotel just deciding that the stay of x days had ended and that they had left the property without performing the ministerial function of checking themselves out.
Old Nov 5, 09, 7:12 pm

Programs: IC Plat/Amb, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by crystak View Post
As long as you checkin in person, you'll be fine. There is no need to check out. The hotel will do that for you. If your points don't post, you can always call the hotel back for a folio if you need it.
Old Nov 6, 09, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
Most of us do #2 all the time - and that's called a mattress run.
Did you mean most of us do #5 all the time? (Or in fact any of #3, 4, or 5?). Cuz I'm pretty sure you can't 1-800-CHECKIN at night, and then not show up until the next morning and expect to checkout. That would not work IMHO.

As long as you physically checkin though, there should be no problems. I too rarely checkout of hotels in the morning, instead I just grab the folio they slip under the door and take off. So I personally see no reason to waste time calling from the UK to check out the next day as you will automatically be checked out anyway.
Old Nov 6, 09, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
He must have edited the post after I responded, because there were only 2 of them at the time

I will go fix.
Old Nov 12, 09, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I did edit the OP. Thank you for noticing it.
Old Nov 12, 09, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by martyYYZ View Post
you can always call the hotel back for a folio if you need it.
Or just sign into your account and print one.
Old Dec 7, 09, 11:07 pm
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
Multiple hotels, same night?

Another phantom stay question--if I check into multiple hotels on a single night will I end up with a phantom stay? I can think of a few (quasi-legitimate) reasons one might actually spend the evening in two hotels...
Old Dec 7, 09, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
Originally Posted by DJZ View Post
Another phantom stay question--if I check into multiple hotels on a single night will I end up with a phantom stay? I can think of a few (quasi-legitimate) reasons one might actually spend the evening in two hotels...
I am afraid the Hyatt system does not allow duplicate stays on the same night. It's quite at finding this now.
Old Dec 8, 09, 4:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJZ View Post
I can think of such reasons. There are plenty, e.g.

You have your afternoon tea at the airport hotel upon arrival
You then go to city hotel A because you want to enjoy its lounge
You finally go to city hotel B because you want to sleep there

Search this Thread