Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would this be a phantom stay ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Hyatt Phantom stays 2018, to achieve status

I use to book phantom stays with SPG, near the end of the year, when I needed a few more nights. Never a problem. I googled Hyatt phantom stays, and was surprised Hyatt had a specific policy against it.
This thread is pretty old, any current experience?
i know it’s wrong, but my question is does Hyatt currently still monitor it.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:22 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachmiles
I use to book phantom stays with SPG, near the end of the year, when I needed a few more nights. Never a problem. I googled Hyatt phantom stays, and was surprised Hyatt had a specific policy against it.
How exactly did you manage to get phantom stays through SPG to credit without a physical check in?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Do you mean a stay where you don't check in? Also known as a no-show?

It's not inherently "wrong," but you won't get stay credit if you do not physically check-in. AFAIK, that's how all the major programs work.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
So, I guess this was a bad idea.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by tsg20
A slight variant on these questions - is it OK to physically check in for a multi-day stay, but then leave and check out by phone at the end of the stay? This is clearly OK for one night stays, but I'm wondering if it's also OK for longer visits.
Of course. I forget the poster who said this, but "nobody checks out anymore"
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, so, what exactly do I need to do to get a stay to count? I'm looking at burning a free cat 1-4 cert to get to 20 nights for the current promo (the 20th night is worth 10k pts). I'd like to do it at a hyatt place or hyatt house to get the AA miles too, but those are kind of inconvenient for me to get to...
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:27 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Ok, so, what exactly do I need to do to get a stay to count? I'm looking at burning a free cat 1-4 cert to get to 20 nights for the current promo (the 20th night is worth 10k pts). I'd like to do it at a hyatt place or hyatt house to get the AA miles too, but those are kind of inconvenient for me to get to...
you need to physically check-in.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Agreed with 59Impala. Even if you do online checkin, you're almost certainly going to need someone to physically checkin. If you're friends with someone in the area of a HH/HP, you could make the reservation, add their name and have them check in.

But you're going to need someone to physically be present to get the key from the front desk.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:46 am

Yeah you definitely need to check in. I almost never check out in person, usually by app or just calling the hotel after I leave. I just do not usually have time or want to waste time physically going by the desk. If there are any issues with the bill, I remedy them over the phone.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is checking in physically, and picking up a key, sufficient? Do you have to go into the room and "mess it up" a bit? Or can I just go into the lobby, check in & get keys, walk out, and check out using the app the next day?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:57 pm

Is checking in physically, and picking up a key, sufficient? Do you have to go into the room and "mess it up" a bit? Or can I just go into the lobby, check in & get keys, walk out, and check out using the app the next day?
Are there any Hyatt Places/Houses so bad you do not want to actually go in the room?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Are there any Hyatt Places/Houses so bad you do not want to actually go in the room?
I'm willing to, but it's a waste of time if I don't have to. If the train schedule is tight it might cost me an hour or something. I just want to know my options.

1k AA miles aren't worth that much; it might be easier for me to just do it at the centric in the city. Even paying for the subway ride makes it borderline...
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I'm willing to, but it's a waste of time if I don't have to. If the train schedule is tight it might cost me an hour or something. I just want to know my options.

1k AA miles aren't worth that much; it might be easier for me to just do it at the centric in the city. Even paying for the subway ride makes it borderline...
In my experience you do not have to go to the room at all and I rarely do. Physically checking in is all it takes.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Some areas of the country have lots of cat 1s. Like Chicagoland for example. If you have a friend nearby, reserve and add that person to the reservation and he/she can check in for you. Some such folks with families might even actually stay/have free breakfast/let kids use pool, etc.

You get the stay credits/points/promo/etc. and someone else gets some value.

Or maybe someone has an actual need for a stay and would trade you something in return.

beachmiles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.