Wiki Posts
Search

Portico White Ginger Products

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Question Portico White Ginger Products

OK. This is not an earth shattering question, but I must say that of all the bath products that I have ever received from a Howard Johnsons motor Inn and Motel 6 and Days Inn properties in my youth, to high end hotels today,

Portico White Ginger Products are the ABSOLUTE WORST SMELLING I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED!!!

They have a strong medicinal smell to my oflactory glands and although I take these from the hotel, I do not use them personally, rather, I give them to friends who want to save some money on shampoo, soap, lotion and condtionter.

Is this a male vs. female thing? Personal preferences?

The Blaise Mautin products at the Park Hyatts I like, but not the Portico products!

What say you?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I think I posted the same comment about two years ago after experiencing this scent for the first time, after having loved the "creamsicle" offerings (which seem not to have returned this past summer). By necessity I have come to accept the odour, and do find that it can be used as a room freshener where the odour does not come across too intense or pungent.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:10 pm

I hated it at first... but the more I'm (forced) to use it, the more I just get used to it. I've talked to a few male Hyatt employees who also agree with me. Bring back the Citrus! Or better yet... get rid of Portico! I do enjoy the Ocean Red Flower at Andaz, and I suppose the different Portico scent in 3oz bottles that is in some of the Hyatt suite rooms is also acceptable
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

I don't like the Portico products. I find them very harsh. The lavendar fragrance is as bad in its own way as the white ginger. At least I'm not tempted to bring them home, perhaps forcing me to check my bag.

And yet, Hyatt does so well with the toiletries it choses for Park Hyatts.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
I don't like the Portico products. I think they're garbage.

Halothane
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I find the White Ginger scent vile. The "old summer scent" Lavendar Citrus was much better (not wonderful but acceptable).
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Absolutely the worst hotel product, EVER!

Do I need to start a "Dear Hyatt,..." thread?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: AK, UA, Swiss,
Portico products makes my head itch and the smells are not appealing, usually too sweet smelling. I always take different chains products and use the one's I like on trips or keep for family/friends/guests at home. Most of them end up in the donated Goodwill/Hope bags for local shelters.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 2:46 pm

I like the smell of the White Ginger soap, but generally don't use it or the shampoo and conditioner, because I prefer better quality products due to my dry hair. The packaging even seems cheap, and I laughed the first time I saw the massage bar soap. I have also taken the stuff and given to a friend who makes gift bags for a woman's shelter.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 3:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrm68
I like the smell of the White Ginger soap, but generally don't use it or the shampoo and conditioner, because I prefer better quality products due to my dry hair. The packaging even seems cheap, and I laughed the first time I saw the massage bar soap. I have also taken the stuff and given to a friend who makes gift bags for a woman's shelter.
Right to both of you above, that's my other alternative if my friend does not want them, so at least they will go to a good and worthy cause!

Although this is an unscientific poll, and you are the only one so far who has voiced a positive about the smell of the product -- but not the product itself -- perhaps if this thread could gain some critical mass, it might yield some positive results down the line concerning whether Hyatt will continue to use this scent and/or product ever again.

Shareholder, sorry to have repeated a point of yours -- I did not think to do a search of this particular issue.

It just seems kind of curious to me that a company that has generally very good hotels -- regardless of tier level -- and a superior customer service ethic -- could so miscaclcualte in choosing a scent that at least so far many seem to find at a minimum noxious.

I just wonder what type of test marketing they did before they settled on this smell?

Moreover, inasmuch as Hyatt appears to be reaping the benefit of idiotic marketing moves -- such as Hilton's impending destruction of a good chunk of the value of their program -- to Hyatt's timely positive marketing moves in its own right -- Next Big Thing's free nights and double stay promotion, it might be helpful for new members to voice their feelings on this aspect of the brand -- there just might be power in numbers!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Nov 1, 2009 at 3:09 pm
Old Nov 1, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Entry level on most others
I have to admit that I really like the Potico White Ginger products. They are pretty good at waking the dead. However, the Portico eucalyptus is even better! They had that scent at the Hyatt Resort Coconut Grove (Bonita Beach, FL) recently. Maybe it's a trend? Just at resorts?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
The smell of the white ginger products makes me nauseous. I even make sure to pack a bar of my own soap when staying at a US Hyatt so that I don't have to open theirs.
I didn't stay in any Hyatts this summer (taking advantage of other chains' free night promos), so didn't realize the lavendar (formerly their summer choice) was gone. Not that I think the Portico products' quality is any good, but at least I could open the lavendar soap without getting sick to my stomach.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA MM, DL MM
Blech!

The smell of Portico White Ginger products reminds me of Raid ant killer. I don't even touch them - they are horrible! The eucalyptus and citrus are fine, but I wish that Hyatt would get rid of the white ginger.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Shareholder, sorry to have repeated a point of yours -- I did not think to do a search of this particular issue.
No problem. Not sure how you would go about searching this one out, key word: "stink"?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cwpfly
The smell of Portico White Ginger products reminds me of Raid ant killer. I don't even touch them - they are horrible! The eucalyptus and citrus are fine, but I wish that Hyatt would get rid of the white ginger.
You hit the nail on the head! It is just slightly better smelling than insecticide!!! That's the smell that I was reaching for/reacting to!!! ^

Come on people! If you don't like the smell let Hyatt know it and add to this thread!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.