Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Do you guys get charged for bottled water even if you don't touch it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold

Once again I'm being charged for bottled water when I never even touched the thing! What's the deal? Is this becoming a consistent problem for you guys, too? I think my girlfriend picked it up to read the price tag on it--did that send off some kind of alarm? Is it because I moved the glass that sits next to the bottle?

I just sent an email off to Hyatt to helpfully get the charges reversed, but $9 for water is actually expensive (if it was $1-3 I'd ignore it). Is it easy to get it reversed ?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:56 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

No not routinely. But like in minibars, the charges can pop up after you check out, I've been able to get it adjusted without difficulty.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
happens rarely, but any time its ever hit a bill a quick email to hyatt reverses it.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern
happens rarely, but any time its ever hit a bill a quick email to hyatt reverses it.
Do you usually email the specific property, or customer service for this?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by doss1
Once again I'm being charged for bottled water when I never even touched the thing! What's the deal? Is this becoming a consistent problem for you guys, too? I think my girlfriend picked it up to read the price tag on it--did that send off some kind of alarm? Is it because I moved the glass that sits next to the bottle?

I just sent an email off to Hyatt to helpfully get the charges reversed, but $9 for water is actually expensive (if it was $1-3 I'd ignore it). Is it easy to get it reversed ?
I know in Vegas, it's all pressure or weight sensor-ed at the mini bars. If you pick it up, it auto detects it and gets billed to your room, even if you put it back down afterwards, still billed. Maybe you're getting charged with a similar system?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Do you usually email the specific property, or customer service for this?
I usually just mail the property with the details about my stay... Ive also mailed the GP help desk. I find cranking out a quick couple line email is much easier than calling on the phone to talk to the right person.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Some of the minibar fridges have a sensor, and if an item is removed for more than a few seconds, it bills you. I recall the first one I ever ran into at an IC in Atlanta. We moved some items to put stuff in the fridge, only to be hit with a $100 bill upon checkout. It was cleared up quickly, but made me much more cautious moving things around.

I always try to check bill before I leave. Last year at a Hyatt, I found a strange charge on my bill. Turns out it was for a can of cashews from the minibar. My toddler had been holding it, and had put it on the top of the minibar instead of where it was originally. Easily fixed, but if I hadn't checked the bill out, they'd have just ended up with two cans of cashews in the room.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't waste time on fixing small stuff.

1. Send a webform complaint noting the "overcharge". Make it simple, e.f., "Hyatt XXX on Folio YYY charged me $Z for water which I did not consumer...."

2. Wait a week. If you see a credit, it's done.

3. If you don't see a credit, do an online chargeback for the amount in question.

Don't waste your time on phone calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.