Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

A bulit-in function for choosing point or mileage may be useful

Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:50 am
Original Poster

I don't know how other people think of asking point or mileage at check-in, but I am very frustrated by this. Some check-in persons got me mileage when requested, but others still credited me points, even though I did exactly the same thing at check-in. Everytime I presented the physical airline status card, asked very clearly for mileages. Maybe a built-in function for choosing point or mileage in our accounts can be helpful, so that it can be all automatic.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I think it's built in to the reservation process.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Really? please advise at which step of the reservation process. Thanks

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I think it's built in to the reservation process.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:15 am

As far as I know you can't specify in your initial reservation if you want points or miles. However you can choose between the two if you do WEBIN (if the hotel even participates in that). I agree with the OP though that it would be nice to have this function so you don't have to rely on the front desk agents who get it wrong at least as often as they get it right. And it would save many phone calls to GP CSR I would think.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:23 am

As every member has to opt either to earn points or travel partner currency at check-in (for good reasons!), I don't see any need to add another function to reservations.

I don't see any advantage to add another tool that supports front desk, as everything necessary is already their. If stay credit does not work properly, a human error occured. From my experiences I learned, that not every front desk agents is knowledgeable about every aspects of GP program but hesitates to say that. If I have the impression, that an agent is unsure, I talk to her/him about the importance of this issue (save CS & me time) and with the help of another agent s/he was able to sort it out correctly (in rare cases my stays does not post I learned that the hotel put my rate in the illigible column).

If correct GP credit is the main goal of your stay, Web Check-In or using Express Check In Kiosks might help.

Please mind: Upon your arrival at the hotel, the payment card entered during the Hyatt Web Check-In process must be used at the Hyatt Express Check-In Kiosk or hotel front desk to receive your room assignment and key(s). You must visit the Hyatt Express Check-In Kiosk or the front desk on the scheduled date of arrival and physically occupy the assigned guest room. Failure to visit the Hyatt Express Check-In Kiosk or the front desk may result in your room being released as an early departure, and your payment card being charged one night's room accommodations. These stays are considered phantom stays. Phantom stays are not eligible for Hyatt Gold Passport points, credit toward tier status or participation in bonus points or other promotional offers. A phantom stay is described as a stay where a guest uses Hyatt Web Check-In or 1-800-CHECK-IN to check into a hotel but does not physically stay at the hotel.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by spacelucky
Really? please advise at which step of the reservation process. Thanks
I honestly don't remember as I don't take miles I do recall seeing an option there at one time. Perhaps it's no longer available.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
As every member has to opt either to earn points or travel partner currency at check-in (for good reasons!), I don't see any need to add another function to reservations.
Maybe a good need for this would be because MANY front desk agents have no clue how to input a FF # into their system. It would make it extremely easy if we could just input the FF # when making the reservation and then having it carryover at checkin and checkout. ^

Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
I don't see any advantage to add another tool that supports front desk, as everything necessary is already their. If stay credit does not work properly, a human error occured. From my experiences I learned, that not every front desk agents is knowledgeable about every aspects of GP program but hesitates to say that. If I have the impression, that an agent is unsure, I talk to her/him about the importance of this issue (save CS & me time) and with the help of another agent s/he was able to sort it out correctly (in rare cases my stays does not post I learned that the hotel put my rate in the illigible column).
LOL, you'd be talking them through it until you are blue in the face if you had to try to teach many HP/HSS front desk agents how to learn this. For the most part they are completely clueless about this and it would require far more of your time to train each of them than to just call into GP to convert the stay to miles later.

@:-) Or how about this: Hyatt could make miles an option when you make your reservations!!! @:-)@:-)

Oh wait, that's what the OP already suggested.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:46 am

I honestly don't remember as I don't take miles I do recall seeing an option there at one time. Perhaps it's no longer available.
I think what you are recalling is Web CheckIn. There used to be (still is possibly) an option on WEBIN where you can add your FF # and choose miles instead of points. But there's no way to do this on your initial reservation as far as I know.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:24 am

You may be correct about that... and the choice may also be available at the check in kiosk. I just haven't paid that much attention to it.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 3:56 am

You may be correct about that... and the choice may also be available at the check in kiosk. I just haven't paid that much attention to it.
Yes, it's definitely also available at the check-in kiosk as well.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Red face Its available, and then...

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Yes, it's definitely also available at the check-in kiosk as well.
+1

Just did it at a HP that had no G bonus. Went through the pain of waiting for the kiosk to accept all my selections and my airline FF number (reminded me of 2400 baud modem dial-ups). So then the extremely helpful/bored front desk person decided to checked everything and asked if I was a HGP member. Uhmmm, Diamond. Oh, excellant, for the welcome ammenity would you like {....} or the 500 HGP points? Points please. Ok, all set".

Yes, "all set", I earned all HGP points.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:21 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Of course, as DIA if you select miles, you still need to call GP CS to add the amenity points. Tried the kiosk for last nite's HP stay, as a recent stay at a SS, the desk agent confirmed she put the mileage number in, twice, once at check in and again at checkout. It posted with points. We'll see.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by traveling_again
Just did it at a HP that had no G bonus. Went through the pain of waiting for the kiosk to accept all my selections and my airline FF number (reminded me of 2400 baud modem dial-ups).

Yes, "all set", I earned all HGP points.
Originally Posted by rbAA
Tried the kiosk for last nite's HP stay, as a recent stay at a SS, the desk agent confirmed she put the mileage number in, twice, once at check in and again at checkout. It posted with points. We'll see.
Yes, of course I should have mentioned that even if you choose miles when checking in on the kiosk, GP points will post instead anyways. I thought that possibly I had just gotton unlucky the couple times I had tried it, but from other's experiences it seems like it is a widespread problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.