Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz West Hollywood - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold

The Andaz West Hollywood, as you likely know by now, is a redesign of the decades old Hyatt Regency on the same spot. If you watch the movie "Almost Famous" you can see the hotel dressed as it's original incarnation the Continental Hyatt House back in the 70s.

Structurally, the property has remained pretty much the same. The entrance, parking lot, rooms, roof deck and pool are all in the same place. The exterior is still the familliar white, with a cheesy billboard on the side of the building.

What's seriously changed is the interior. Completely redecorated and reimagined, you'll first think you accidentally walked into the Mondrian across the street. It's that kind of hip, chic, stylish lobby that many boutique hotels are sporting these days. Except this is no traditional lobby; it's called a lounge. There's no front desk, no concierge, no bell desk. You are greeted by a staff member wearing stylish street clothes. No uniforms or even name tags. It's part of the individuality of the Andaz brand. They carry a PT much like your Fed-Ex guy has with him. Your reservation is looked up, he swipes your card in the device, swipes your room key, and off you go; with help if you need it. I can't imagine checking in when it's busy, it could be chaos. Fortunately it wasn't busy when I was there. The guy who checked me in greeted me by name which was a nice touch, having spotted my luggage tag.

The room is slightly bigger than they used to be because they enclosed the old balcony. The room is large and comfortable with a king (or 2 double) bed and a 42" LCD TV. The windows don't open which still unfortunately does nothing to dampen the street noise from Sunset Boulevard. The enclosed balcony area is set up like a small living room with a chair, ottoman, loveseat and redundant 22" TV about 10 feet from the other larger TV. All the minibar stuff is free except the booze, and it was all good stuff. There is also a couple of old LP albums on the desk as decor.

The bathroom is all marble, large enough for one, had a doorless shower and beautiful Kohler fixtures. The toiletries were of a good quality and the linens were all Frette.

The hallways are still really dark, but at least they got rid of those ugly striped carpets. The only available newspaper is the LA Times. Part of their local originality.

The restaurant is the best feature. Called the RH for Riot House, the hotel's former nickname; I remember it as the Riot Hyatt. It feels larger than it is and has a great open kitchen. The wine is displayed behind glass as are all the fresh pantry items like fruits and vegetables. The food was excellent as was the service. The prices are reasonable and the selections varied. The absence of a bar was noticable, although there is a lounge area near the wine display. Clearly the hotel will earn a good portion of it's first year revenue from the RH. But they'd do better if they had a proper bar.

I've been a Hyatt Diamond Member for 9 years, and stayed at over 50 Hyatts. Hyatt's first US Andaz entry is a bold idea to reinvent an old property. They put all the money into design without having to pour much concrete. It was a mostly comfortable stay that was a bit different than the usual Hyatt experience. But they'd could have done more to eliminate the noise.

http://westhollywood.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/

There's a promotion running now:
Hyatt Gold Passport members can earn 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points and a USD$50 hotel credit for each stay booked by March 31, 2009, and completed by June 30, 2009, when requesting Offer Code ANDAZ5.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
I'm so glad they updated this hotel, last time I stayed there It felt so dirty and run down that I slept in my clothes. When I checked out the next day, I told the manager about my thoughts and he of course refunded all charges and indicated the hotel was due for a make-over. That was few years ago, of course. I might venture back now for a change from the Century
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:15 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

This is a related thread discussing the opening of this property including confusion about the number of points for an award redemption.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
What were the Diamond benefits that the OP received on this stay?

Preciously they used to upgrade their Diamond guests to the corner suites. Do they still do that?

The following email from the hotel just landed to my inbox:

Change Has Come

Following a complete rock star makeover that reflects the vibrant energy of the Sunset Strip, be one of the first to experience the newly transformed Andaz West Hollywood. As a past guest of Hyatt West Hollywood, we'd like to offer you an exclusive invitation for one free night when you stay with us for two or more nights through June 30, 2009 and book by April 30, 2009. Be sure to request offer code STYLE at time of reservation.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

I probably could have gotten the corner suite if I asked as the hotel wasn't busy. But I was more interested in the standard deluxe experience which the room was plenty big. I'm told they got rid of the fish tanks in the corner suites. They were cute, but you couldn't turn off the light.

This new promotion was probably due to my suggestion as I told them the Mondrian across the street (as well as most of the Morgans Hotels) were offering buy one night get one night free.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: Various
As an FYI, Free Night Award stays for this hotel are in category 5 = 18k per night. GP Category 5 Hotels

Looking forward to more reviews for this location.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Echelon, did you receive a Diamond amenity? (The Andaz in London does not offer them.) Was breakfast included in your rate? If not, were you comped breakfast as a Diamond?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just stayed there 3 nights
Nice property indeed, but many problems at check-in, check-out, and with room....
At check-in they could not retrieve my two consecutive reservations
At check-out the rate was wrong
Had to change room during my stay since the A/C in my forst room did not work properly. In the second one (next door) the water pressure was weak

As a Diamond I got an upgrade to a City view room on the 12th floor
No amenity but free continental b'fast which is a rather generous 36$ credit toward any item on the menu, and that covers a full American b'fast.

On the plus side, very friendly staff, though many inexperienced at the front desk, but familiar faces in the restaurant, for those who used to go when it was the Hyatt
Much better rooms of course
A gorgeous pool area on the rooftop

All in all a good experience, I'll be back
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

There was not a diamond amenity, but since all the minibar stuff is free except the booze, I could see how it could be considered redundant. I got the 1K bonus points though. Continental breakfast is free for diamonds in the absence of a RC.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Just stayed at the Andaz with an FFN, valet is a bit steep at $28, but overall I definitely like what they've done with the place!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Valet at most properties is close to $40,some going to $50 after tax
$28 seems very fair to me.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:46 am

Diamond Amenity

I did receive a bag of gourmet figs and a note from the manager on my stay a few weeks ago. I'm assuming that this was the diamond amenity.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I wasn't to happy with my stay for all the fanfare of the much awaited Andaz
As other posters mentioned here and elsewhere there is still much street noise from Sunset Blvd especially in the suites
If there was one thing I would have expected these folks to get right after a massive multi million dollar makeover it would have been the soundproofing.
All the nice balconies have been removed. Another genious enhancement apparently.
Probably safer from a liability standpoint with many of the party animal late night types they attract

The prices are very high even with their promotion.
This is a hotel that will have to compete with every other in the LA area and soon to include the new W Hollywood which will probably get things off to a better start.
Hyatt hired a second rate designer to make this place over and they certainly did a superior job to what was once there.
But IMO it is certainly no World Class makeover especially for 40 million dollars.More investment was put into the public areas

That said I see short cuts all over the place. For 80 bucks less a night I will run not walk to the former Park Hyatt now an InterContinental and a host of other hotels hip and trendy or not and be very satisfied for my personal tastes.
It is interesting to note there was what looked like to be complimentary water in my room however they charged me for it after check out .And the refrigerator in my room was leaking water

I called the hotel the hotel after check out and got a voicemail
Apparently accounting couldn't be bothered or was to busy to return my call.
I wish them well its certainly nicer then it once was..... and I would never say to anyone don’t go
At 300 dollars a night and up,high GP redemption point rates and increased parking rates I would say it may well be a recipe for financial disaster Unless they know something we don’t and the hotel has something else going for it that I am missing with only a one night experience.

The economy thrown in to that equation I would say it will take much more then clever marketing and a fresher makeover to make this place fly.
It will take an iron clad value proposition with exceptional memorable service
And that is something Hyatt let go of to some degree four years ago with massive cost cutting across the whole spectrum. And that’s a whole other thread
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 19, 2009 at 12:16 pm
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:11 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Currently staying here as I write this and have to say that I like it ^. It seems very young and hip without the "sass" of W Hotels (and the rooms take a completely different approach than the W's).

Ambassador met me outside as I pulled up and guided me into the lobby where she asked that I take a seat and offered a complimentary glass of wine (no limit on the number of glasses). As previously noted, there is no traditional front desk, and your ambassador does everything from checking you in to showing you to your room. Very friendly service and feels very personalized. This hotel utilizes RFID technology so there is no traditional keycard (it's still a card, just a touch card).

As a Diamond, upgraded to a corner room on the 9th floor (larger rooms) with a nice view of the Sunset Strip and Downtown LA. Also given free breakfast (not sure if that is a typical Diamond perk or not). Similar to a previous poster, there was a bag of dehydrated fruit on the coffee table separate from the minibar offerings so I'm assuming that is the Diamond amenity.

Room is very minimalist but nice. Carpet seems a bit worn already, but I think that may just be from the color of it (a greyish color). There are complaints of the small bathrooms but I find it to be completely acceptable for one person.

As mentioned, the street noise from Sunset Blvd is a good bit intrusive, which seems a bit odd since the glass paneling is NEW to the hotel.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:40 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Also given free breakfast (not sure if that is a typical Diamond perk or not).
Yes, breakfast is a Diamond perk since this property doesn't have a Club lounge. Hyatt's T&Cs call for either a Club lounge with breakfast offering or "continental" breakfast in the restaurant for Diamonds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.