Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Houston/Galleria REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:36 pm
skj
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

This is a brand new Hyatt Place, right around the corner from the also relatively new Hyatt Regency Houston Galleria. The Hyatt Place opened in late January and has some common management and facilities, such as the parking garage, with the Regency.

This is new construction, and the layout is a bit unusual. The ground floor has a valet stand and a couple of elevators. The lobby is on the 3rd floor, with all the usual HP features - check in desks, bar, breakfast room, dining area, seating area, a couple of computers. It's very recognizable, but different than the typical former Amerisuites HP. I had a king room and it too looked familiar, but a bit different. The room felt smaller, probably because it didn't have the alcove with the desk on one side and sink and mini-fridge on the other. It did have the familiar corner sofa, with the desk on the other side of the room.

The staff were very engaging and offered the Diamond amenity points without prompting (although the stay hasn't posted to my account yet, so we'll see). The morning breakfast was the standard HP offering.

The parking is valet only and costs $32, the same as the Hyatt Regency. There are shops and restaurants right across the street, with a good size parking lot, but I have no idea about overnight parking in the area.

Right now, typical pricing appears to be slightly ($10-$20/night) less than the Hyatt Regency, although I found one night where the HP was more expensive. Regardless, it's nice having another Hyatt in the area, and if all I'm looking for is a bed, this is a good choice.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
For some reason, most nights that I've priced out recently cost more than the Hyatt Regency. In regard to parking, the last time I stayed at the Regency I parked in the Galleria garage which was about a 2-3 minute walk. There is a hotel attached to that part of the Galleria and the parking remained open throughout the night.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
This is a pretty "typical" Hyatt Place, just shiny and new and in a mid-rise building.

Check-in staff are all super engaged and friendly, but they can get slow with several people checking in at the same time. I stayed frequently in June, and there seemed to be new people training pretty often.

Rooms are the normal layout you would expect, and everything works as advertised.

Breakfast is typical Hyatt Place. It will fill you up, but nothing to brag about.

The hotel pool is inside/outside, in that it is covered but the walls are open. I do not believe it is heated, so the one time the kids and I got in, it was pretty cold despite 90-degree weather outside. There is no direct sunlight to warm the water.

The only official parking is valet. There is a parking lot across the street, but there are signs indicating it is for those businesses only and that towing will occur. I've parked there during the day for a few hours with no problems.

There is parking a block away at the Galleria Mall. I've parked there for 12 hours during the day, but I've never tried overnight parking (the above poster says it is possible).

The rates I have seen run $20 to $50 lower than the new Hyatt Regency next door. As Diamond, the $20 would probably be worth the difference to stay at the HR, but that is for each of us to determine on our own (I think parking is slightly higher at the HR even though it probably uses the same parking garage).

Very solid hotel in a great location for the Galleria area. A good complement to the HR for a slightly cheaper stay.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:53 pm
skj
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
The only official parking is valet. There is a parking lot across the street, but there are signs indicating it is for those businesses only and that towing will occur. I've parked there during the day for a few hours with no problems.

There is parking a block away at the Galleria Mall. I've parked there for 12 hours during the day, but I've never tried overnight parking (the above poster says it is possible).

The rates I have seen run $20 to $50 lower than the new Hyatt Regency next door. As Diamond, the $20 would probably be worth the difference to stay at the HR, but that is for each of us to determine on our own (I think parking is slightly higher at the HR even though it probably uses the same parking garage).
The HP and the HR share the parking garage. The HP is now $25 while I think the HR remains at $32.

Interestingly, the last few dates I checked, the HR was less expensive than the HP and both were quite a bit cheaper than the old Hyatt House a few blocks away.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by skj
The HP and the HR share the parking garage. The HP is now $25 while I think the HR remains at $32.

Interestingly, the last few dates I checked, the HR was less expensive than the HP and both were quite a bit cheaper than the old Hyatt House a few blocks away.
The Hyatt House is very consistently higher than the HP and pretty often equal or more than the HR. Thy HH has started charging $10 or $16 for parking, so there is very little incentive to stay at the HH unless you really need a suite.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:28 pm

I split two weeks between the HR Downtown, the HR Galleria and this HP. I liked the HP best. Cost was a consideration, but only minor. I really liked the HP fitness center, the service, my end-of-hall room, the business center with functioning computers (3). Breakfast was standard HP, but was well-monitored and only crowded at the last minute. Valet-only parking at $29/night. The place was clean and everything worked.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I split two weeks between the HR Downtown, the HR Galleria and this HP. I liked the HP best. Cost was a consideration, but only minor. I really liked the HP fitness center, the service, my end-of-hall room, the business center with functioning computers (3). Breakfast was standard HP, but was well-monitored and only crowded at the last minute. Valet-only parking at $29/night. The place was clean and everything worked.
Wow - valet only at an HP.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.