Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place, Washington, D.C. - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

Needed a Thursday night stay in the D.C. area and with a $95 AAA rate this property met the criteria. My usual locations priced significantly higher than that.

Took Red Line Metro to the NoMa-Gallaudet station and the hotel is two long blocks up from there. You'll easily see it from the train station platform. The large building on the right is ATF.

Hotel did honor my profile for "high floor, away from elevator". I was at the end of the 12th floor.

The area appears in the midst of redevelopment with some demolition across the street from my room, but newer buildings in the area, including a Hilton Garden Inn and a Courtyard by Marriott. Food options appeared pretty limited from a look at Google maps at 9pm: McDonalds, Wendys, or Five Guys. I saw a Pot Belly deli but it closes at 7pm weeknights and even earlier on weekends. I ended up at the Wendys which has a security guard on duty inside the entry door.

View from my room:

You do get used to sirens in this area (reminded me a lot of my stay at Hyatt Magnificent Mile). Was only awakened once during the night, though, so maybe they quiet things down after midnight.

This is the second Hyatt Place I've been to this month with the new sofas-- much nicer than what they had before.

Went down for breakfast at 8:30a.m. (they stop serving at 9 weekdays) and it was crowded. I ended up at the bar with people seated on both side of me. They did have waffles as well as two kinds of breakfast sandwiches (I selected the biscuit with a fried egg and sausage). By 8:45 a lot of people had moved on and it made it easier to move around.

Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Stayed there 2 weeks ago. Super friendly and enthusiastic staff, which is rare in the tourist/convention-saturated DC Metro hotel market. A much better experience than staying at some of the worn out old hotels downtown. And the rate was excellent.

The neighborhood is still under development but close enough to everything that it's easy to grab an uberx within minutes, metro and bikeshare also close.

This will now be my go-to on frequent trips back to DC.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Hyatt Place DC/Capitol

Anyone stay here yet? T/A reviews are positive but some say that area can be sketchy as it is in transition.

I looked at Google Street maps and it did not look that bad to me. However, am wondering if I should risk parking my old car on the street as it is a convertible.

Comments appreciated.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I posted a review and some photos here:
http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...review.105852/

It was pretty cold when I was there so not a lot of people on the street to really get a sense for how safe a parked vehicle would be.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Anyone stay here yet? T/A reviews are positive but some say that area can be sketchy as it is in transition.

I looked at Google Street maps and it did not look that bad to me. However, am wondering if I should risk parking my old car on the street as it is a convertible.

Comments appreciated.
Known at least two cars broken in around there -- during the fall a couple of years ago -- where the jackets inside were stolen. Windows broken. But don't leave a jacket visible and an older car will probably be fine.

The area is still sort of sketchy, and at night it tends to be more sketchy than in the day. Nothing like ten or twenty years ago, but still not a place to walk blocks and blocks at night when dressed as if coming from a nice night out partying.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Many thanks for the informative post, GU!

Thanks a lot for the review Tom!

Merry Christmas to both of you!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
I used to live only 3 blocks west of the property back in 2012-3.

Every time I go back to the NoMa area I'm astounded how much it is changing. It doesn't have as much foot traffic as other parts of the city like Chinatown or DuPont, but in my opinion it's probably just as safe to park. Obviously use common sense in the area as you would anywhere else in the city.

I've parked my BMW on the street near the corner of M st NW and New York Ave when I lived there and never had any issues. If in doubt about parking I would say you're better off parking as close to the NoMa station as you can- more foot traffic and people walking around.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Thanks very much PNQ -- very much appreciated and sound advice!

Nice to see a neighborhood rejuvenated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.