Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Do you honestly think that a Diamond on an award stay, who may never have paid full price for a room at the hotel, should be given priority for room allocation over someone paying rack rate?
Yes. That's the whole point of a loyalty program.

Given the rates and demand for hotels in New York, yes I do think that one should feel "lucky" to have an award room at this hotel. When you consider what awful room an award booking might get you at GH NY or Andaz, ANY room at the PH is significantly nicer.
What's with the hostility? I hope you're not in the hotel management business.

Want to guarantee a nicer room? Pay for an upgrade.
Yes I generally pay up for a premium room when I'm on a paid stay. Although I've found that's not necessary as a Hyatt Diamond, since most properties do honor the published benefit. In this particular case, I had already upgraded this reservation with a DSU, and there was no option offered for any sort of a paid upgrade.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. That's the whole point of a loyalty program.
Hyatt is in the money business, not the loyalty business.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Do you honestly think that a Diamond on an award stay, who may never have paid full price for a room at the hotel, should be given priority for room allocation over someone paying rack rate?

Given the rates and demand for hotels in New York, yes I do think that one should feel "lucky" to have an award room at this hotel. When you consider what awful room an award booking might get you at GH NY or Andaz, ANY room at the PH is significantly nicer.

Want to guarantee a nicer room? Pay for an upgrade.
People on award stays have down something that benefits Hyatt, directly or indirectly, to earn that award (paid stays at Hyatts or credit card benefits) so an award stay is hardly a freeby and should be treated exactly the same as as revenue stay. In addition, the hotel receives compensation from HGP. "Lucky" to have an award room at this hotel? Only because management plays games and holds back award rooms.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Junior Suites All Located Floor 10 or Below

I have now been informed by the property that there are no Junior Suites above the 10th floor. In other words, if you book with a DSU, absent an upgrade, you will be on floor 8, 9, or 10.

Originally Posted by pricesquire
It's a fallacy to suggest the two are unrelated. The point of the loyalty program is to drive revenue by incenting program members to book with Hyatt whenever possible. Which it absolutely does. By offering 'best in class' loyalty benefits, Hyatt can compete more effectively with the larger chains despite a much smaller footprint.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Most hotel chains are but Hyatt is just very good at justifying the money/ price (in most cases).
Loyalty breeds trust and satisfaction.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Most hotel chains are but Hyatt is just very good at justifying the money/ price (in most cases).
Loyalty breeds trust and satisfaction.
Totally agree. But it is individual hotels, such as the PHNY and the Andaz Maui, that are eroding that trust.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAway
Totally agree. But it is individual hotels, such as the PHNY and the Andaz Maui, that are eroding that trust.
This probably needs its own thread by itself! I can think of a few international Hyatts that have eroded my trust but PH NY seems to want the Academy Award. No one property is perfect but I think Hyatt can make this one right .

Last edited by Aventine; Apr 26, 2015 at 12:12 pm Reason: added some more.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:23 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by JetAway
I think we have to look at this from two sides one is in house recognition
A diamond suite upgrade at Andaz Maui still took me to a further upgrade to a premium view suite
I'd say the Park Hyatt New York still is poor at upgrades period
While the hotel is attractive it's far from a 5 star hotel business culture
To some degree the hard product lacks as well compared to other international Park and Grand Hyatts

From the value erosion side of the equation Diamond up charges @ breakfast and room category switching
I do see your point with A Maui
But the other thing for the price point Andaz Maui while somewhat expensive they mostly wowed my guests and I
In the end my stay was mostly exceptional and I am more willing to pay a premium when the hotel is exceeding my every expection
Where as the Park Hyatt New York was underwhelming in most regards
They have done nothing to really raise the bar of the most anticipated luxury property of the century and worse Diamond treatment is sad laughable
When I think about the former Park Hyatt San legacy and their brilliant customer service and elite recognition excellence the Park Hyatt New York is incredibly dissapointing
Even non elites could celebrate at PH SF in a luxury culture

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 27, 2015 at 12:00 am
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:41 pm

Does Hyatt have an ownership position at the PHNY or simply a management contract? If the former there is no excuse for the loyalty program misses; if the latter, the owners may be interjecting themselves into this issue.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Fully owned, which makes it worse....
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
While the hotel is attractive it's far from a 5 star hotel business culture
Yes, and as I reflect back, I think this property will have a hard time competing with the true NYC 5* properties based on the physical plant alone. They're squeezed into the lower (and much less desirable) 24 floors of a building that fronts directly onto the noise and congestion of 57th Street. Most rooms have no views except of taller buildings. There's no carriage space in front of the entrance. There's no real lobby, and no grand public spaces. The service is generally very good, but easily matched by literally dozens of other 4 and 5 star Manhattan properties.

Their biggest selling point IMO is the Hyatt brand (and accompanying HGP benefits), but their policies on upgrades, breakfast, etc. are going to antagonize what ought to be their core constituency.

When I think about the former Park Hyatt San legacy and their brilliant customer service and elite recognition excellence the Park Hyatt New York is incredibly dissapointing
Even non elites could celebrate at PH SF in a luxury culture
I loved Park Hyatt SF and stayed there many times as a non-elite. What SPG has done to that property is an absolute travesty.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:46 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Yes, and as I reflect back, I think this property will have a hard time competing with the true NYC 5* properties based on the physical plant alone. They're squeezed into the lower (and much less desirable) 24 floors of a building that fronts directly onto the noise and congestion of 57th Street. Most rooms have no views except of taller buildings. There's no carriage space in front of the entrance. There's no real lobby, and no grand public spaces. The service is generally very good, but easily matched by literally dozens of other 4 and 5 star Manhattan properties.

Their biggest selling point IMO is the Hyatt brand (and accompanying HGP benefits), but their policies on upgrades, breakfast, etc. are going to antagonize what ought to be their core constituency.

I loved Park Hyatt SF and stayed there many times as a non-elite. What SPG has done to that property is an absolute travesty.
Couldn't agree more with your thoughts and assessments^
I avoid Starwood somewhat once my favorite hotel company in the world
It is on a race to the bottom. They went from brilliant to cheap frugal and trendy

Most of our Hyatt community is smart educated well traveled and isn't typically fooled by fake nice greetings and fooled by the fact the hotel is new
Park Hyatt SF had complimentary generous high floor upgrades and walk out balconies
Free laundry pressings (up to 2)
Sparkling and still water delivered in glass bottles twice daily
And two high end house cars to use by appt
Complimentary shoe shine and a culture of supreme sincere hospitality from the heart
The GMs back in the day would be all over it if a guest wasn't having a perfect stay!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 27, 2015 at 12:01 am
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Couldn't agree more with your thoughts and assessments^
I avoid Starwood somewhat once my favorite hotel company in the world
It is on a race to the bottom. They went from brilliant to cheap frugal and trendy

Most of our Hyatt community is smart educated well traveled and isn't typically fooled by fake nice greetings and fooled by the fact the hotel is new
Park Hyatt SF had complimentary generous high floor upgrades and walk out balconies
Free laundry pressings (up to 2)
Sparkling and still water delivered in glass bottles twice daily
And two high end house cars to use by appt
Complimentary shoe shine and a culture of supreme sincere hospitality from the heart
The GMs back in the day would be all over it if a guest wasn't having a perfect stay!
OT but PH SF sounded magical. Like the Happiest Place on Earth (Sorry Disney).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
That is a question I have been pondering. What percentage of GP customers that is used to paying $250 a night and was maybe willing to splurge a little bit at the Andaz 5th is going to pay rates approaching $1,000 for a base room? I don't know the answer, but I suspect it is a small subset. Similar to PH Vendome and PH Sydney.

When we checked out, there were two parties checking in and Virtuoso benefits were explained for both. I wouldn't be surprised if travel agents aren't considered an important sales channel, possibly more important than GP itself.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by sensei
That is a question I have been pondering. What percentage of GP customers that is used to paying $250 a night and was maybe willing to splurge a little bit at the Andaz 5th is going to pay rates approaching $1,000 for a base room? I don't know the answer, but I suspect it is a small subset. Similar to PH Vendome and PH Sydney.

When we checked out, there were two parties checking in and Virtuoso benefits were explained for both. I wouldn't be surprised if travel agents aren't considered an important sales channel, possibly more important than GP itself.
I suspect that Diamond treatment is better on paid stays.

Amex FHR and Virtuoso reservations are very important to these hotels, and these guests are also given upgrades per the FHR/Virtuoso contracts. The hotel probably prioritizes upgrades according to rate paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.