Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Chicago River North REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Anyone know what category this is? I don't see it listed anywhere.

http://chicagorivernorth.place.hyatt...tel/rooms.html
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:44 am
Used to be hamajicky

I called--it's a cat 4.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:13 am
Used to be hamajicky

Can we start up a review thread for this, please? I have a stay booked here in July and would like to know more about the property in advance.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:47 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Chalky White
Can we start up a review thread for this, please? I have a stay booked here in July and would like to know more about the property in advance.
A review thread can will be created when a review s posted - if its this thread then it will be retitled and linked.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
I am staying at this property next week and intend to have at least a mini review and photos.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:11 am
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
I am staying at this property next week and intend to have at least a mini review and photos.
Thanks, look forward to it.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:48 am

I am eager to see some reviews on this property as well, always good to have more options in Chicago.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:26 am
Used to be hamajicky

The TripAdvisor reviews so far are good. But I want reviews from FTers!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Mrs. Swede and I stayed there June 27-29 ($179 AAA rate). It was very enjoyable. It still has that new hotel smell. We are also not frequent travelers, so my apologies if my review is a bit kettle-ish.

Our flight from DEN was late, and we didn't get to the hotel until after midnight. Mrs. Swede got the bags out of the rental and checked-in while I drove two blocks (more like 8 since the most direct route was blocked by police cars) to the Greenway parking garage. An employee was very helpful with Mrs. Swede and helped her with the bags to the room--and he also refused a tip.

Our initial room (standard king) was on the 2nd floor. Avoid it unless you're a deep sleeper. One issue is that the hotel is across the street from a fire station (not on the side we were sleeping on). The other is that the windows do not do much sound insulation. We could hear drunk people yelling and screaming as if they were standing next to our window until at least 4am. Other than that, the room was very nice. We really liked the sectional sofa/sleeper bed in the sitting area--if anyone knows their supplier, we'd love to buy one for our basement. The bathroom was also nice.

Friday morning's breakfast was great. I've never stayed at a Hyatt Place before, so I imagine it's pretty standard fare compared to others. Everything was brand new. The only annoyance were the black trays used to carry your dishes and utensils appear to be very difficult to clean, as the majority still showed evidence of food stuffs even after a wet towel cleaning. The eating area was spacious, and got quite full around 8:30am.

Mrs. Swede worked in the hotel room while I worked in the lobby area. No complaints, even with the noise.

I inquired at the front desk about changing rooms since it was so noisy last night. An employee (same as above, still there from his night shift) was more than happy to arrange for a new room. 30 minutes later, he met us at our room with new room keys and a luggage cart. We got moved to the 12th floor. Not only are the views great, but the noise (even though we were on the same side of the hotel) was greatly diminished.

The wi-fi on the 12th floor, however, wasn't so great. If you need to do some work your laptop, it might be best to use the ethernet. Wi-fi calling on my T-Mobile phone was very poor, so I had to switch to the cellular network. I gave up and went back to the lobby to finish up the work day (along with a $5 beer from the bar ). It was neat sitting in the lobby watching the masses of humanity decked out in Blackhawks gear walking back north from the rally in Grant Park.

I also inquired about the in-out privileges with the parking garage. The lady at the front desk took my parking ticket and told me she'd give me a card in five minutes. She also took that time to train the staff on how to create a parking garage card. (She also forgot to charge me the $45/day rate, which I didn't notice until I returned to DEN and looked at the e-mailed statement.) The card lists the time it is valid (she also noted the "noon" expiration on the day of check-out is more like 3pm).

After a night out on the town, we returned to the hotel (the same employee mentioned twice already was there and greeted us by name) and enjoyed a more peaceful sleep--interrupted once in a while by a firetruck. If there were any drunks running around, we didn't hear them.

Breakfast on Saturday morning had a different assortment (sausage and scrambled eggs instead of hot breakfast sandwiches). The eating area was pretty full by 9am, and we had to sit at the bar.

After some sightseeing, we checked-out at 2pm, walked to the parking garage, and drove our way to the northwestern suburbs for a wedding. IMHO, the Westin North Shore pales in comparison to this hotel.

The location is great, and it's across the street from three Rick Bayless restaurants. Starbucks is a block south on Clark.

I'm not much on photographing hotel rooms, airlines seats, or the like, but here are two pictures looking out of the 12th floor. (Sorry, no time to edit and stuff.)

Friday right after moving in

Saturday morning

Last edited by pseudoswede; Jul 2, 2013 at 6:20 pm Reason: Not sure if I can use employee names, so I edited.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:04 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Thanks for the review--you covered everything I'd want to know. Did you take any pics of the room interior?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
Sorry, I was going to stay at this Place and post a review, but I ended up getting a super rate (and even better ad hoc upgrade) at the Mag Mile property.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Chalky White
Did you take any pics of the room interior?
Sorry, I didn't. IIRC, the pictures of the rooms on the hotel's website mirrors exactly what we got--especially since it was so new.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:25 pm

Glad to hear the renovation was a success.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Stayed here last night using stray points. Double Queen room on 6th, facing south. The location is great, and of course everything is brand new.

Checked in during a bit of a rush, and the desk crew was a little flustered; apologizing for being open for only 3 weeks, etc.

This HP had a bit smaller sofa and "living space" than my previous experience with HP in suburban locales.

Anyway, I realize it's apples/oranges but I'd strongly recommend this property as an alternative to the Hyatt Regency on Wacker if you're visiting the area.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:05 am
Used to be hamajicky

i'm staying there this weekend on points. i didn't like dropping 15k point on a hyatt place, but i guess it's a good value since the rooms were costing $200/night otherwise.

i'll put up a review when i get back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.