Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai- Park Hyatt v Andaz

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines

Hi everyone, i will be in shanghai in a couple of days. I currently have a reservation at the PH Shanghai. However, I recently received an email stating that the pool will be closed during my stay. It is one of the many incredible features about this property, and I was disappointed to learn of its closure. I currently have a diamond suite upgrade attached to the reservation. I am considering switching my reservation to the Andaz. I know that it is closer to the tourist areas, and I will be in town for only about 2.5 days. I have read through both master lists with respect to both properties, but just wanted to pick the brain of those that have stayed at both properties. Which would you lean towards and why? Although the Hyatt on the Bund is a great property, I have already stayed there several times and want to try something new. Any input is appreciated. For reference, the room rate difference between the PH and Andaz is minimal (only about $25/night more for PH), so it is not factoring into my basis. Thank you very much.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:52 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
I have not stayed in andaz, but I doubt will beat the PH. even with no pool.
PH is an amazing property probably one of the best PH in the world I've stayed. IMHO.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:03 pm

PH definitely wins hands down, with or without pool. I would say that PH is an upscale, classy property. The Andaz is trendy, but nothing more. Don't get me wrong, I like the Andaz too, but with such a small rate difference as you are saying between the two hotels, I wouldn't even think twice about maintaining the reservation at the PH.

It is definitely worthwhile to use the Diamond Suite Upgrade at PH, but I would not waste one at the Andaz. In my opinion, the suite at the Andaz is just strange, and not very "useable" (a lot of wasted space) nor relaxing at all. Besides, at the Andaz, if the XL rooms are available, Diamonds get upgrade into them anyway, and I actually prefer the XL rooms over their suites.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Typically I found a large difference in rate between the two, but if you can get a good deal on the Park, do it. A great property with superb service.

The Andaz is hipper, younger and has larger rooms if you get an XL there.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
No question. Book the Park and use points for a suite upgrade. Hands down my best experience in PVG ever.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
many thanks to all... looks like it's unanimous.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond,UA 1k,SPG Platinum,AA Platinum
If you stayed in Andaz before, you will know Andaz's style. PH Shanghai has really great view or the best view currently in Shanghai and I strongly recommend you to stay in it even without the stunning view pool.

Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
Hi everyone, i will be in shanghai in a couple of days. I currently have a reservation at the PH Shanghai. However, I recently received an email stating that the pool will be closed during my stay. It is one of the many incredible features about this property, and I was disappointed to learn of its closure. I currently have a diamond suite upgrade attached to the reservation. I am considering switching my reservation to the Andaz. I know that it is closer to the tourist areas, and I will be in town for only about 2.5 days. I have read through both master lists with respect to both properties, but just wanted to pick the brain of those that have stayed at both properties. Which would you lean towards and why? Although the Hyatt on the Bund is a great property, I have already stayed there several times and want to try something new. Any input is appreciated. For reference, the room rate difference between the PH and Andaz is minimal (only about $25/night more for PH), so it is not factoring into my basis. Thank you very much.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

What dates will the pool be closed? Ill be there on may 8 and haven't heard anything.
FDW.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
What dates will the pool be closed? Ill be there on may 8 and haven't heard anything.
FDW.
It will be closed until May 28.
Old May 1, 2013, 3:16 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by taipeiflyer

It will be closed until May 28.
That's unfortunate. I've been holding a reservation for a while, and one thing I've been looking forward to is the swimming pool. I would probably switch too but I've also got a confirmed suite upgrade too.

FDW
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Scandic 2nd Floor, FoundersCard
I am going to be in Shanghai for a show at the Shanghai New International Expo Centre (in Pudong near Century Park) in late March/early April.

Am I crazy to want to stay at either the Hyatt on the Bund or the Andaz? Trying to stay with Hyatt properties but not the cost of the Park Hyatt. (The "official" hotel we have been recommended is the Radisson Blu but it just seems boring.)

Would it be a nightmare getting to the show during the week (Tue - Fri) by taxi and/or transit?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

What about the Grand Hyatt? It's closer to the exhibition center.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Exec Platinum
I just got back and have stayed at all 4 numerous times. If you need to be in Pudong the PH is fantastic. I prefer this over the grand. As diamond you will more than likely get upgraded to a corner room. The club at the grand it very nice but there are food options in the financial center as well.

Now, if you do not have to be in Pudong, stay at the Andaz. Xintiandi is my favorite area in Shanghai. There is tons to do within walking distance and cabs are readily available. Also, the subway is 2 min away. The happy hour at the andaz has changed for the better of late. It is beer and wine with some apps in the lounge rather than self serve at the front. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Scandic 2nd Floor, FoundersCard
Thanks... I am not Diamond yet... just started with Hyatt fairly recently. I am Platinum (mainly from stays at the lovely Park Hyatt in Tokyo ).

I was trying to keep the budget down... the Andaz I have at 1270RMB/night -- the GH and PH are at least 600RMB more/night. Trying to be somewhat frugal (and responsible ).

I have heard that Xintiandi is a nice area... but the view and bar from the Hyatt on the Bund is what is making me look at it. Does the Andaz have an atual bar/lounge where lots of people go? Maybe a stilly question.

Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Sitting in a Andaz Suite right now typing away. Really like the location. The gym and pool are small and leaves a lot to be desired though. I no longer have Diamond so the breakfast here cost me around $43 USD. Lots to eat around at xintiandi and a few bars nearby. Was bored so I walked over to M2, the club, across the street Friday night. Not as packed because of Chinese New Year.

Also, Uber just started in Shanghai, so instead of dirty taxis you can get nice black cars (e.g. Audi A6, MB S class) for only a bit more than cabs. You can even get 100 RMB in referral credit. (Don't want to tout my own referral link unless someone wants it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.