Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Lightbulb Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION!

Isn't that what they always say? When I heard that Hyatt was opening a new property in the French Quarter, I felt as though I had found my new home away from home! See, although I live in Chicago, I try to visit NOLA once a month or every few months (in the summer), and although I know a person or two, I do not always want to be in the way, and well, lets face it, you do not always want your friends to see you slashed.

After opening May 15, I decided to book a room and see what this place holds. For those of you who know the area, this property used to be a Wyndham. As a frequent guest of Hyatt's Gold Passport, I am glad for the change.

First - Its Location: Yes, it is in the French Quarter. This means you can easily (as if it isn't easy enough) get to all the bars, pubs, and food you want as you can walk anywhere. The property entrance is actually on the corner of Iberville and Dauphine, just a block from Bourbon St and a block from Canal.

Second - Its Location: The French Quarter was not created equal and there better and worse parts. At this end of Bourbon Street you will find the strip bars, gentleman's clubs, and the like. It tends to be a bit seedier and dirtier. If you are traveling with young ones, be warned - plenty of skin. If you are here for a bachelor or bachelorette party, then you are really close. Otherwise, you will probably want to walk a few blocks to the more tame and traditional parts of Bourbon St.

Third - Its Location: The property does have a number of rooms with balconies over looking Bourbon Street (with great views of the 24 hr Krystal). You maybe tempted to grab one of these rooms (as I did) thinking you will see some crazy party goers, etc, but since it is the lower end of bourbon, expect to see/hear drunk people all day / night long. It was surprisingly quiet late at night, but then again, there were no major festivals / parades when I was there.

The property, furnishings, and rooms are all new. Comfortable, cozy, and clean for sure. I uploaded some pics of the room and the property. Our King room did not have a desk or table, which made using the laptop a little more difficult. There was a small table on our balcony (that came with a sign sternly warning us that the limit was 26 people!!) The bathroom was spacious with plenty of toiletries.

When I tried to find out if they had a pool, I looked over the room for that little book of hotel services. No such luck. I asked the front desk and I was informed that they do have a pool. It is on the 2ND floor courtyard and was fairly quiet, considering what was going on a block away. I was told that they are going green by not printing that book of hotel services, but rather keep everything on the hotel TV.

(Side note: How much energy is used to print 1 hotel book versus each and every time someone has to turn on a TV and navigate a bunch of options?? But I digress).

So, if you want Room Service, check messages, find out the pool hours, or anything else really, you must use the TV and use a clumsy remote to figure it all out. Of course, if you do not turn on the TV you will not know this (unless you read my review or asked the front desk). Its a little annoying but not a deal breaker.

The staff were amazingly friendly, professional and sincerely smiled and went out of their way to help guests. There is an on site counter style eatery, with options through out the day at reasonable prices. There is a CVS and Walgrees across Canal where you can get a lot of items you may need as well. There is a gym, business center, and all the cool things you would expect from a Hyatt. WiFi was free, you just needed to login each day.

It was a little pricey at nearly $250/night (for the Balcony King) but it was also opening week and I am sure demand was high! I recent check shows prices under $200/night. I would certainly stay here again, although I am sure to be happy with a regular room, saving the balcony for special events.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:03 am

Thanks for the writeup, I have a stay booked in October, looking forward to it!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:25 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thumbs up A French Quarter Hyatt Visit at long last !!!!

I too echo much of what JAFU007 shared above from the warm smiles and the hospitable team outside and inside the new Hyatt French Quarter hotel.
This is a historic makeover of a classic New Orleans French Quarter Hotel across from the Ritz Carlton.

Upon Arrival
When my driver pulled up to the entrance of the hotel I was impressed with the beautiful landscaping and flowers out front.
I enjoyed my short brief stay and have already booked other upcoming reservations for later this year.

It will be my property of choice
when in New Orleans. How wonderful that this unique property is now a part of the Gold Passport Program^
Most of the team here on board aren’t new comers they are highly seasoned long time industry folks that know their city, their customers and their property.
There wasn’t anything I asked for that they weren't can do ! Really nice folks that seem happy to welcome their guests

Many folks here were with the former Wyndham and seem inspired and proud with all the improvements under the new Hyatt Flag.
I was expecting a quick walk through of the property from the bellman or the wonderful front office manager there however
I was surprised when the GM took his valuable time to meet me after breakfast to give me the grand tour which was very nice of him.
He hails from the Hyatt Brunswick, New Jersey property that some of you may be familiar with on the East Coast.
This is not your cookie cutter Hyatt. It is a unique sometimes quirky renovated hotel that is boutique like where few rooms other than furniture are really alike.
Each has its own unique character, charm with those old world high ceilings. You really don’t know you are in a Hyatt which is part of the fun.
However you will know once you earn your points and stay credit

Rooms and suites may over look a courtyard, a pool or the French Quarter
Rooms facing the courtyard if I remember have balconies. Refrigerators and wifi are available in every room
The fitness center was basic not special or upscale but ok for those seeking the typical cardio Bikes and treadmills.
They did not make the fitness center a priority.And from my conversation there is a plan in the works to add more cardio equipment.
Though I like the renovation and the hotel for my purposes it is not a high end renovation of elegance but a good enough one none the less.
I had hoped some of the public areas would be more special but the public areas seem more expected or typical.
I liked the bar area just off the lobby floor “The Batch Lounge”very much that really stood out with some cool factor.
It would have been nice to see a restaurant with that much class in house.

The only thing I would really have to say is a let down is the food/dining options in house.
There is a Brennan restaurant just around the corner of the lobby called the "Red Fish Grill".
They do a very respectable burger at lunch and some of the salads are actually pretty good but they aren’t consistent.
At dinner some of my guests wanted a burger and they refused to make it so I took my party elsewhere in the Quarter.
Though I could live without burgers on the menu it’s what my guests wanted and if it matters to my guests it matters to me that they be happy.
And the restaurant refused which is of course within their right to do so but lost all the rest of our revenue on a slow night.

There isn't much lunch or dinner I like on the menu (dinner a tad better) for my taste and the dishes are busy.
Some of the folks that work there are really wonderful but I have not and will never be a Brennan dining fan
having dealt with the Baco when it was inside off the lobby of the W French Quarter before going out of business. The food was average for top shelf prices.
However because the Red Fish Grill is in partnership with the hotel and Hyatt I will support it to the best of my ability as a highly satisfied guest of the hotel.
Will also give dinner a chance none the less on my return visit without my burger insisting guests in tow
The décor of the Red Fish Grill IMHO is tacky and not that comfortable with wood booths and no padding on seating.
They went for causal they achieved it! It’s my guess many of Hyatt’s customers will go elsewhere.

Diamond breakfast is taken in the lobby at grab and go counter called “Powdered Sugar Market”
The coupons are very limited in value and in my opinion don't adequately cover a legitimate breakfast experience one would expect at a full service Hyatt.
Especially without a Regency Club in house
This is where the hotel needs the most improvement and find/come up other solutions.
Be very interested to hear from our other Diamond GP guests their thoughts as well.
I did get to meet one of the passionate chefs a great guy who wants to make it a stand out he will face challenges because of the set up at present.
The menu options at present are very limited and food just fair
The breakfast set up just seems plain wrong for a full Hyatt breakfast standard.
Diamond or paid for or as part of a breakfast inclusive rate. It doesn’t even work for a good high quality continental breakfast IMHO.
Though its certainly better than a Hyatt Place standard.

Ok so let me be clear for breakfast one orders while standing on a line at the register and gets their beverages and food Starbucks style
Sometimes they will drop it off at the table if you like.When the line gets long this where it really gets concerning
This would be my only main criticism of the hotel.
Consider it the only serious mistake/oversight in the hotel planning that degrades the rest of the otherwise excellent experience.
I will probably walk across to the Ritz Carlton and see how the breakfast is there.
I am hoping they will do something like 48 Lexington in NYC where coupons are issued for 25 dollars per guest and can be used for breakfast lunch or dinner.
This would go a long way to solving the basic problems at present.
And would be an acceptable solution for those that may find the set up disappointing as I did.
I'd even like to see the voucher also be useable for lunch in the Redfish Grill where one can receive full table service.I don't want to order cafeteria style on a line in a 4 star hotel

On a brighter note
Thanks to a slower period I was able to upgrade to a suite as a courtesy.As we know its not a benefit unless using our confirmables.
It was comfortable and spacious with new adequate furnishings.I noted in my accomodations as well as all guest rooms outstanding strips for recharging in great locations.I'm glad designers are paying more attention to functionality

The hotel is at the tip of Bourbon
on the corner of Canal and is a straight walk down to all things one can love or hate about the French Quarter. I overlooked Canal Street and was still able to sleep though it wouldn't probably be my first choice
The A/C was easy enough to adjust and was adequate
I have waited for a long time to have a Hyatt in the FQ.Who new one day we would be so lucky?
Thanks to the good folks at the Hyatt French Quarter for a wonderful stay hope to see you soon!
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jul 10, 2012 at 11:00 am
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Currently staying at the Hyatt FQ and it is not the best Hyatt experience I've had. They make you wear wrist bands all the time and charge you $35 if you loose them. This is not what I expect from a Hyatt. The Hyatt Regency next to the Superdome is a much better property with better staff. Avoid the Hyatt FQ if you can.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tomcat007
Currently staying at the Hyatt FQ and it is not the best Hyatt experience I've had. They make you wear wrist bands all the time and charge you $35 if you loose them. This is not what I expect from a Hyatt. The Hyatt Regency next to the Superdome is a much better property with better staff. Avoid the Hyatt FQ if you can.
What are the wristbands for?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
wristbands = mardis gras

Many hotels in the quarter do this to keep people out. I think they only do it this time of year. I think if they tried to charge you, then you could certainly talk your way out of it since its an unusual request of a guest.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:14 am

It is rare that a hotel requests this except at high profile events
Perhaps Superbowl,Mardi Gras or New Years
Its done for both the security of the guest and the hotel
Years ago after some serious problems hotels started to implement the system
Back in 1988 was when I remember first starting to see it.
The Marriott Marquis in Atlanta had over one million dollars in damage from outside party crashing on New Years Eve 1987.
It made front page of the Atlanta newspapers January 1 1987
The riot police were called in to get the hotel back under control
Back when I was also a lot younger (sigh)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: SWA CP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Amb.
Finishing up a 3 night stay here. Was not surprised by the wristband situation, as I have stayed multiple times in FQ hotels, and all have the same policy.

I do think, however, while the hotel does a good job of making guests aware of street closures on the front page of their website, they should also mention these additional policies that are put in place for hotel guests.

Diamond breakfast was acceptable, a choice of breakfast buffet or one entree and a drink. Documentation handed at check in stated that diamond breakfast does not include gratuity.

Didn't use any other amenities of the hotel - although the pool area did look nice. Booked this hotel for location, and it exceeds expectations in that regards.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by amgt123

I do think, however, while the hotel does a good job of making guests aware of street closures on the front page of their website, they should also mention these additional policies that are put in place for hotel guests.
I agree, they should put this on their website, then you can decide for yourself if you wish to stay there. They should not spring it up as a surprise.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I agree, they should put this on their website, then you can decide for yourself if you wish to stay there. They should not spring it up as a surprise.
A more elegant solution would be a tightly controlled set of doors, with smartcard room keys that need to be swiped per person. The guests that do not have a key on them immediately go to the front desk to receive another one. If a guest wants to bring in a second for a short time, they can get another keycard
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by 4aks
A more elegant solution would be a tightly controlled set of doors, with smartcard room keys that need to be swiped per person. The guests that do not have a key on them immediately go to the front desk to receive another one. If a guest wants to bring in a second for a short time, they can get another keycard
This is what I would have assumed they should have done in the first place. The wristband is very inelegant.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
If you prefer to walk the extra 20-25 minutes, that suggestion makes sense.

Why?

Originally Posted by 4aks
that's absolutely ....ing stupid. Can you imagine the issue you'd have with guests whose keys demagnetize, keys are lost etc.. You've never been to Mardi Gras, have you?

This is what I would have assumed they should have done in the first place. The wristband is very inelegant.
Every hotel in NOLA that's near the parade route OR the FQ does this. The Sheraton did it this weekend, friends at the Doubletree, Ritz & Crowne Plaza had them as well.

Honestly, ridiculous gripe.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
2 questions...

1) I have seen two breakfast reports... Is the DIA benefit a full buffet or take out at the Starbucks type place?

2) Booked a points stay during SD over Labor Day. I presume this is a good location? Room reccomendations?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
2 questions...

1) I have seen two breakfast reports... Is the DIA benefit a full buffet or take out at the Starbucks type place?

2) Booked a points stay during SD over Labor Day. I presume this is a good location? Room recommendations?
Its a very nice hotel with one of the most disappointing breakfasts ever experienced at a full service Hyatt. Its a grab and go. No menu and no buffet with extremely limited options
I was there around the grand opening. Not only was "Powdered Sugar" under staffed but options for my tastes and quality were poor/average.

The less desirable Hyatt Regency New Orleans put out an excellent breakfast with even worse non existent service.
I miss the Westin Canal Place where the breakfast was excellent as was the heartfelt caring service
Would look forward to waking up at the Westin with steak and eggs and incredible fruit selection.
Oh well at least we have a Hyatt in the FQ!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Finishing up a 3 night stay here. Was not surprised by the wristband situation, as I have stayed multiple times in FQ hotels, and all have the same policy.

Diamond breakfast was acceptable, a choice of breakfast buffet or one entree and a drink. Documentation handed at check in stated that diamond breakfast does not include gratuity.

Didn't use any other amenities of the hotel - although the pool area did look nice. Booked this hotel for location, and it exceeds expectations in that regards.
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Its a very nice hotel with one of the most disappointing breakfasts ever experienced at a full service Hyatt. Its a grab and go. No menu and no buffet with extremely limited options
I was there around the grand opening. Not only was "Powdered Sugar" under staffed but options for my tastes and quality were poor/average.

The less desirable Hyatt Regency New Orleans put out an excellent breakfast with even worse non existent service.
I miss the Westin Canal Place where the breakfast was excellent as was the heartfelt caring service
Would look forward to waking up at the Westin with steak and eggs and incredible fruit selection.
Oh well at least we have a Hyatt in the FQ!
Thanks for the info... I wonder where the OP got the info of the choice of buffet or entree........

Lack of a real breakfast may be a deal breaker for me in spending. Points for a Cat 5 property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.