Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 12:21 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge
Original Poster

Hello FlyerTalkers!

Hyatt is pleased to announce the acquisition of a premier Mexico City Hotel in Polanco. The 756 room Hotel Nikko Mexico will be rebranded as the Hyatt Regency Mexico City, and is situated in the heart of the upscale Polanco district on Campos Eliseos. Hyatt Regency Mexico City will face Chapultepe Park and will be within walking distance of the city’s best museums and art galleries, theaters, dining and nightlife, high-end retail shopping areas, the Chapultepec Zoo and Aviary, and the Botanical Gardens.

Happy Travels!
Old May 3, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt DMD
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello FlyerTalkers!

Hyatt is pleased to announce the acquisition of a premier Mexico City Hotel in Polanco. The 756 room Hotel Nikko Mexico will be rebranded as the Hyatt Regency Mexico City, and is situated in the heart of the upscale Polanco district on Campos Eliseos. Hyatt Regency Mexico City will face Chapultepe Park and will be within walking distance of the city’s best museums and art galleries, theaters, dining and nightlife, high-end retail shopping areas, the Chapultepec Zoo and Aviary, and the Botanical Gardens.

Happy Travels!

Thanks for the good news! Finally an option for travel to MEX. Having stayed before at the Nikko (and the Presidente and Marriott in that neighborhood), I can attest to the convenience of the location.

When do you expect the hotel to start accepting reservations?
Old May 3, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by edrags
Thanks for the good news! Finally an option for travel to MEX. Having stayed before at the Nikko (and the Presidente and Marriott in that neighborhood), I can attest to the convenience of the location.

When do you expect the hotel to start accepting reservations?
Yeah. You have InterContinental, Nikko, and JW next to each other. Then you have the W few blocks down.

Can the concierge chime in what is going on with the Park Hyatt project in Mexico City?
Old May 6, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Yes, this is great news.

I'm also dying to know if the Park Hyatt is still going to happen.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Been waiting for the Park Hyatt Mexico City....any news?

Originally Posted by mattg
Yes, this is great news.

I'm also dying to know if the Park Hyatt is still going to happen.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Great location and good to hear. This was overdue...
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
A friend of mine who lives in mexico city told me months ago that he hadnt seen any major construction going on at the PH (this is probably back in January) in a while. Not sure what that means, and who knows if its just from when he drove by on a particular day... but still sad if true.

On the other hand, I will be booking my trip to the HR Mexico City for early 2013!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt DMD
Just finished my first stay at the new Mexico City Hyatt. I would say all in all they have done a nice job with a quick transition. I got an upgraded room in the Concierge tower. The room itself was nice with some high tech gizmos.

The one bad thing was that as a diamond member I couldn't check in at the lobby counter where there were three associates ready to take care of me. I was instead ushered to the 38th floor vip welcome lounge where a single staffer was taking care of four guests ahead of me. This was intensely irritating, and there simply wasn't an option to head back to the lobby.

Also, the concept of the concierge is cute, but these are nowhere near the level of concierge you would expect in a St Regis - then again, in fairness, the rates weren't at that level either. My Concierge failed to follow through on a couple of simple requests. I will be generous and chalk things up to transition pains.

Other than that the food and bev was fine, the rooms and bathrooms of high quality and the location unbeatable. I will return.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by edrags
Just finished my first stay at the new Mexico City Hyatt. I would say all in all they have done a nice job with a quick transition. I got an upgraded room in the Concierge tower. The room itself was nice with some high tech gizmos.
Sounds great, I'll have to pop down there for a weekend this fall.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:49 pm

Anyone with a more recent stay at the HR Mexico City? I am booked for middle of January for 3 nights, used a Diamond Suite upgrade, very interested to hear recent feedback if possible.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:31 pm

I never made it. Anxious to hear...you may need to report back in Jan =)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rajuabju
Anyone with a more recent stay at the HR Mexico City? I am booked for middle of January for 3 nights, used a Diamond Suite upgrade, very interested to hear recent feedback if possible.
I am at this property now (Jan 2-4) and am very pleased.

The rooms (and bathroom) are spacious and very nicely decorated, with a comfortable bed, great tech features for the lighting and a wall-mounted flat-screen tv. A Melitta pod coffee machine is in the room and a large bottle of sparkling and still water provided daily at no charge. Two bottles of water are also provided daily in the bathroom for brushing your teeth, etc. Service has been excellent.

My only dislikes are the chairs in the room- the desk chair is not comfortable for very long and the other seating is a chaise lounge.

I have zero status with Hyatt, so can't speak to amenities offered to Diamond or Platinum GP members. But...this property is in the Visa Signature Hotel program, if you have a Visa Signature card. I was able to book the same rate as the Hyatt Daily Rate through Visa Signature and receive the following benefits:
- upgraded room
- late checkout
- choice of free internet or valet parking
- continental breakfast daily
-a $25 food and beverage credit

Edited: I'm going to edit this review to reflect some unfavorable "last impressions."

As noted above, when the bellman showed me to my room, he pointed out the liter bottles of sparkling and still water, which he said were complimentary. When I went to check out, I had been charged for the bottles I had used (one of which was wasted in the coffee machine, which didn't work). Although I told the front desk clerk that the bellman had told me that these were complimentary, she chose to debate me, indicating that I must have confused his comment about the complimentary bottles in the bathroom. I assured her that he had stated "complimentary" when he pointed at the liter bottles, as well as saying "also complimentary" when he pointed out the bottles in the loo. She refused to credit me for the liter bottles until they were able to verify with the bellman, who was not working at the time. She asked which bellman had made those statements and when I did not know his name, flatly told me they would not be able to make this credit until I provided his name and they verified. I chose to let it go, not worth the hassle because I would have used those bottles anyway.

But the desk clerk wasn't done yet...she went through a laborious explanation of the $25 food and bev. credit from Visa Signature and took about 15 minutes to make that adjustment. I was still charged for a pastry and cappucino I had purchased at the patisserie, which should have been covered by the complimentary continental breakfast. When i questioned this, she looked up the purchase and stated that it was not covered because I had made the purchase just after 12 Noon (note - no such restrictions were communicated to me regarding the benefit at checkin.) This checkout process had already taken almost 30 minutes at this point, so I had to leave because my taxi was there. However, the tone and attitude exhibited by the front desk clerk throughout the conversation and the nickel and diming (they add 100 pesos to the charge for calling an authroized taxi, too) definitely eroded my impressions of this property.

So far it also appears that I will not be receiving Gold Passport points for my stay, even though this was not a pre-paid rate through Visa. It was booked through the Visa Signature hotels site, but the hotel was paid directly by me at checkout. Only 39 points have been posted. YMMV

Last edited by pbjag; Jan 12, 2013 at 8:21 am Reason: Editing review based on last impressions
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:27 am

So I just wrapped up a 3 night stay at the HR Mexico City, and here are my thoughts-

Location is superb. In the heart of the Polanco district, near lots of shops, restaurants, and one of the nicest parts of town. Getting to the hotel is a bit tricky. Apparently a lot of locals and taxi drivers don’t know that the Hyatt exists (formerly the Nikko). And the entrance to the hotel itself is up a smallish driveway that doesn’t have the greatest visibility. But those are just minor issues to me.

The hotel itself is great. We used a Diamond Suite Upgrade and we were given a Regency Suite on the 41st floor with amazing city/park views. Room is well laid out, spacious, clean and nice furnishings. The King bed was super comfortable (although I agree with the person above that the desk chair is not!). Contemporary styling, which I can appreciate. The bathroom was very large but a bit dated (I can do without the small tiles in the shower and 80’s gold trim faucets). But very clean and functional. WiFi worked everywhere in the room and was relatively speedy. The light control system was impressive, as there is a device next to the bed that controls all the room lights individually and is labeled so its very easy to use. I wish more rooms had something like this, instead of having to hunt around the walls for proper light switches. Overall I give the room an A-

Regency Club on the 40th floor was great. Very good selection of morning and evening items, and large enough so it was never over crowded. Morning items included a few hotel selections such as eggs and various meats. Evening items had cold cut meats, pastries, sushi. View in the RC room was the same as in our suite on the 41st, which is to say, superb. Staff in the RC was top notch, with just the right amount of attention paid to us, so that our drinks were never empty, but we also weren’t being constantly interrupted. I give the RC room an A.

My wife used the gym facilities, and she was very impressed. Large pool (she didn’t use), and a good selection of equipment in the gym, which she said was either new or very well maintained.

The lobby bar is ok. It’s a very large area but not the most impressive to me. A bit too dark and just feels like the hotel didn’t know what to do with the space so they decided to stick a bar there. The only on-site restaurant we tried was Teppian Grill, and like all Hyatt restaurants I’ve tried, was fantastic. Fresh and delicious sushi, excellent staff. I’d highly recommend. I’m sure the other options we didn’t get to are just as good.

All in all, another very pleasant and satisfying stay at a Hyatt. And I’ll definitely be back. Oh, I did ask the staff about the Park Hyatt in Mexico City that was under construction a few years ago… no one seemed to know anything about it. But this Hyatt Regency is a perfectly good presence for Mexico City.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Anyone have a stay at this place since they started renovating the lobby? I'm wondering how bad it is
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Originally Posted by troyb
Anyone have a stay at this place since they started renovating the lobby? I'm wondering how bad it is
+1 would love an update on how bad the renovation is and the status of the gym since it seems that the fitness facility, pool, and spa are closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.