Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt house (Summerfield) San Diego/Sorrento Mesa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold

I stayed at the subject location back in June. This used to be a Woodfin, but it was all labled Summerfield Suites. The front desk personnel asked if I was familiar with Hyatt's Gold Passport program. Oddly, I filled out a paper (like the old credit card imprint papers) registration form, so I knew they weren't quite up to speed with HSS standards. My issue is that my stay never posted and when I filled out the form online asking for credit I was told there was no record of my staying there and that I should send them a copy of the hotel reciept. No problem, I can do that. I can't right now because I'm on travel again, but I'll take care of it when I get back home.

My question is, has anyone else had trouble with this hotel (since the transition to HSS) posting stays to your account? Any trouble with the other two recently acquired Woodfins? Any trouble with any other recently re-branded-to-Hyatt hotel?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond
I just had a stay there last week that also didn't post. My receipt doesn't have my GP# on it at all; I just submitted the request and haven't heard back from customer service yet. Actually, as a diamond my room was downgraded because the hotel was sold out. I had booked a one bedroom suite and they gave me a regular queen bed room at checkin. At checkout they offered me $20 off my bill. No diamond amenity or points were offered on check in. All in all, since the hotel didn't even have a sign anywhere on the building, street, or door, it didn't seem quite ready for prime time.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:26 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by RDB68
I stayed at the subject location back in June. This used to be a Woodfin, but it was all labled Summerfield Suites. The front desk personnel asked if I was familiar with Hyatt's Gold Passport program. Oddly, I filled out a paper (like the old credit card imprint papers) registration form, so I knew they weren't quite up to speed with HSS standards. My issue is that my stay never posted and when I filled out the form online asking for credit I was told there was no record of my staying there and that I should send them a copy of the hotel reciept. No problem, I can do that. I can't right now because I'm on travel again, but I'll take care of it when I get back home.

My question is, has anyone else had trouble with this hotel (since the transition to HSS) posting stays to your account? Any trouble with the other two recently acquired Woodfins? Any trouble with any other recently re-branded-to-Hyatt hotel?
Originally Posted by cliff9973
I just had a stay there last week that also didn't post. My receipt doesn't have my GP# on it at all; I just submitted the request and haven't heard back from customer service yet. Actually, as a diamond my room was downgraded because the hotel was sold out. I had booked a one bedroom suite and they gave me a regular queen bed room at checkin. At checkout they offered me $20 off my bill. No diamond amenity or points were offered on check in. All in all, since the hotel didn't even have a sign anywhere on the building, street, or door, it didn't seem quite ready for prime time.

Please PM your stay information to us, along with your Hyatt Gold Passport information. I'll be happy to post the stays for each of you!

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
Just wanted to follow up and say the issue is resolved. The Gold Passport Concierge was quick with the post. Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond
My issue was resolved too, thanks again.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Nice job Gold Passport Concierge! And that, my friends, is why I love Hyatt.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
I stayed here last weekend and had a great stay. Booked a 1 bedroom suite and that's what I received. The room was very nice and the hotel had a resort feel to it. The room was very nice for working in. The breakfast in the morning was excellent and we enjoyed eating by the nice pool area. The staff we encountered were all very friendly. We did notice the strange smell in the hallways, but it wasn't a big deal. There was no recognition of being a Diamond member and I was not offered an amenity or points. This stay has yet to post to my account as well. It seems they are still switching over to the Hyatt system, but it's a very nice place to stay.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:10 am
opq

Landed this hotel after bidding on Priceline for a place in the area. With most hotels, even though they know you booked through Priceline, they still try to accommodate you like any other guest. Except here. Here, it's clear you're a bottom-tier Priceline-r.

They placed us in one of two smallest rooms on our floor. Every other room is a suite! For a one night stay, this may be fine, but certainly not for a stay on the order of two weeks!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:48 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by opq
Landed this hotel after bidding on Priceline for a place in the area. With most hotels, even though they know you booked through Priceline, they still try to accommodate you like any other guest. Except here. Here, it's clear you're a bottom-tier Priceline-r.

They placed us in one of two smallest rooms on our floor. Every other room is a suite! For a one night stay, this may be fine, but certainly not for a stay on the order of two weeks!
Since I've never stayed at this particular property, I'll make my comments general.

The property gave you exactly what was "contracted" for with Priceline - a room with a bed. What if you got a property like a Marriott Courtyard (I believe they would be in the same rating - not sure if one exists in the market though), the room would be similar.

Yes, many (most) rooms at Summerfield are suites since their target market are extended stay customer (much like Residence Inns). However, they (speaking generally not this location in particular) rarely upgrade (especially without a request) anyone (including Hyatt Diamond members booked conventionally through Hyatt) even for 1 night stays. I've learned to book a two-bedroom suite when I stay at one with my mother in the Philadelphia area (especially since the rate is only $20 more than the "studio" room). A two week stay is a longtime and they could likely be full one night during that period.

My advice would be that you request an upsell upgrade upon check-in (or later on if you are still on the property). Perhaps they would be willing to charge you $20 a night (or whatever the difference is) to upgrade to a suite.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:06 pm
opq

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I understand the theory of Priceline, how it's to fill empty rooms and all. It's just disappointing that given only 4 floors, with 2 of these rooms on each floor, but with so many other empty regular suites, they would still place us in the smallest room possible.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Here now on a stay. Given a one bedroom king suite as a diamond. Furniture is a bit dated but clean. Was offered points or $5 credit at check-in. FD staff were very nice and helpful.

Biggest complaint is that both TV's are really old CRT's. Website states they have flat-panel HD tv's. That is a real disappointment.

There is also an "odor/smell" in the hallway of the wing I am in. Almost like B.O.- very unpleastant.

haven't tried bkst or social hour yet.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:26 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

musikdude - Thank you for finding this thread and posting your review - for some reason I missed this thread (and the property) for the Property Index (now added).
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Just finished a 2 night award stay. Was going to stay longer but they really p-ssed me off so I left. Hope this doesn't sound like a rant!

Started out alright but ended with bad taste in my mouth for Hyatt House.
Was recognized as a diamond upon check-in. Room was clean but had dated furniture. 2 tv's but both were old CRT's. The website for this property specifically states "flat screen HD tv's". They should fix that if that is not what is offered.

I had a small dog with me. No problems with that as they allow pets and the website states "$25 per night for the pet, not to exceed $200 total for your stay". Yet when I got my folio under my door it stated "$200 fee for pet".
So I went to front desk to fix this. No one on FD staff was aware of this $25/night fee so they had to go speak to "management" to verify, which they did. They said they would adjust my folio.

As a diamond, I had a 4pm checkout, yet when I returned to the property about 2:30pm, my keys would not work for the outside door or for my room. So I had to go back to my car and drive back around to reception. They burned me a new key but guess what- it didn't work either!!! Now I'm pretty mad, as there are no house phones (like a regular hotel) so I had to go back to front desk AGAIN to get a another key made. At this point I decided not to extend my stay and have gone to another nearby property.

Then finally, at 4pm checkout, I stopped by FD to pay my bill with a Hyatt Gift Card. FD staff person once again tried to charge me the $200 pet fee and
basically disagreed/scolded me that the $25/night fee was the policy and said "every hotel is different". I said to go get the M.O.D. and she went into the back and came back a few minutes later and said "you were right". The manager should have come to front desk at this point but whatever. Then when she is trying to use the giftcard to pay the $50 due, she either doesn't know how, etc. as she goes back into the office area again, this time for at least 10 minutes and finally comes back to say "we have to process it in the office, just a few more minutes".

This was my first time staying at a Hyatt House, basically because I had my dog with me. Not so sure I will stay again.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
Did a 3 night stay on points here. As others have posted this is a former Woodfin Suites so the property is different than other Summerfield Suites that are now Hyatt House properties. As a Diamond I was given a 2 room suite with seperate bedroom and living room and a full kitchen which I never used.

This hotel is in an office park and is typically frequented by business travelers - many of whom stay there every week and request the same room. As such it tends to have higher occupency and rates during the week then on weekends.

It is currently starting a renovation that should be finished in August 2012. Some Hyatt corporate staff from Chicago were at the property going over the upcoming changes while I was there. The model rooms look good and will take care of the dated tv and furniture problem. I'm pretty sure that the current beds are not Hyatt Grand Beds but they were still comfortable. I liked the expanded free breakfast and thought the happy hour ($3 beers and $4 mixed drinks with half price appetizers) was o.k.

The Good: Well lit free parking. Spacious business center, good breakfast with tables outside on the patio. I liked the floorplan of the room with a small balcony overlooking the pool in the courtyard. Lots of tv channels.

The Bad: Front desk staff still getting familiar with Hyatt, and location is a little hard to find for non locals. It's located between the 15 and 805 freeways near the 5 but was only 5 miles away from the Hyatt Regency La Jolla where I normally stay.

It's nice to have another Hyatt option in the La Jolla area. This property will almost always be at a lower rate than the Hyatt Regency La Jolla - it just comes down to what you're looking for. I like the Regency overall but was tired of paying for overpriced parking and a Regency Club that is one of the weakest in the Western U.S. The rooms are bigger here and it is a smaller and quieter property.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Diamond amenities testing in progress?

First time with Hyatt House and had a great stay over the weekend. Booked queen studio and was upgraded to 1bed room suite. We arrived hotel passed midnight and after I confirmed taking points and went to park the car, he told my family to help ourself with the snack and drink! When I got back to the lobby, kids were taking chips, instant noodle and water...... I was really confused and apparently they are doing a "test" and see how this goes. After a long flight and kids were hungry with no restaurant insight, this was really nice! I didn't want to ruin this test for future diamond stay at House properties and offered to pay some of the food, front desk told me this is not necessary! Sure feel like being in the club floor in Asia properties!

We had 2 flat screens on the 4th floor and didn't noticed any funky smell! Breakfast was excellent and staff are efficient....made me wonder if they were running out of plates.

Moved to Carlsbad Hyatt House a couple days later to be closer to Legoland. They were full so no room upgrade, 500 points or $5 food credit and I really don't know what kind of powder they used for their scramble eggs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.