Wiki Posts
Search

HONG KONG: Which Hyatt?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
HONG KONG: Which Hyatt?

I am doing research for friends who have earned 4 free nights with Hyatt CC.
They will in HK for 3 day for the first time in October.
Which HK Hyatt (GH or TST) would you recommend and why?
Keeping in mind that they are tourists in HK for first time, only Gold so upgrades are not likely.
TIA
Old Feb 12, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Hyatt TST is new and very convenient. K11, one of the new shopping malls is just downstairs and easy to get connected to 2 different MTR lines within 5 mins walk in the underground. Also there are many eateries and shopping outlets in TST.
Grand Hyatt Wanchai is a bit old but still under good condition. However, it's about 10 mins walk to the nearest MTR exit and there is no nearby shopping malls nearby.
Without upgrade possibility, there is no chance to see the harbour views in the standard rooms of both hotels.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Grand Hyatt (Category 6) is generally ranked higher than Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui (Category 4) and thus GH would be better value for your friends' free nights. However, HR has a better location.

Try using the 'Search' function for threads asking the same question.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Welcome to FT, taiwanren. And thanks for your reply, it's quit helpful in planning an upcoming trip to HKG.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
Grand Hyatt (Category 6) is generally ranked higher than Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui (Category 4) and thus GH would be better value for your friends' free nights. However, HR has a better location.

Try using the 'Search' function for threads asking the same question.
Thank you. I did try the search and did not find a thread on Grand Hyatt Hong Kong at all (much less on direct comparisson of the two). I did find one about HR TST.
Can you please point me to the thread(s) you are referring to?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Thank you. I did try the search and did not find a thread on Grand Hyatt Hong Kong at all (much less on direct comparisson of the two). I did find one about HR TST.
Can you please point me to the thread(s) you are referring to?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Stayed in both hotels with points several times. The rooms at the GH are bigger compared to the HR TST. As you mentioned it will be your friends firdt time in HKG, in this case they won't spend (i assume) so much time in the room/ hotel. Go for the TST for the location! Stayed there last two times I was in HKG in January and even got an upgrade to a suite (without Diamond status - lost it).

From the airport take the Airport Express to Kowloon station and either take the free hotel shuttles or a taxi. if you do take a taxi tell your friends to mention K11 shopping mall, as still many cabbies don't know the entrance to the hotel or even where it is.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Neither.

In HKG, I would have a lot of better hotel choices.

But if I had to choose, I would pick the GH. I don't like TST area, or Kowloon in general. The island of HKG is much nicer. Just my personal preference. I won't take the subway anyways, I would just use taxis.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:33 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Neither.

But if I had to choose, I would pick the GH. I don't like TST area, or Kowloon in general. The island of HKG is much nicer. Just my personal preference. I won't take the subway anyways, I would just use taxis.
Me either, only I won't even take taxis, I just hire a personal helicopter.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Neither.

Which of those will accept the free nights the OP's friends received via the Hyatt Chase Visa card?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I would pick GH over the other one. I only stayed at the GH but I was generally pleased with it, though rooms are on the small side to what I'm used too (but still larger than the HR). Also, the location is in a more peaceful area with VERY nice views of the harbour + the grand club is the best Hyatt club I've been to, if you have access to it.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Me either, only I won't even take taxis, I just hire a personal helicopter.
Which means you're limited to choosing the Peninsula if you want the luxury of a helipad connected to the hotel :P.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Which of those will accept the free nights the OP's friends received via the Hyatt Chase Visa card?
At this point both are available, AFAIK.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulchili
At this point both are available, AFAIK.
You misunderstood - jarusoba seemed to suggest not staying at either Hyatt property since there are better hotels in town. That may be, but I don't think there are any among them that would accept your friend's award nights.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You misunderstood - jarusoba seemed to suggest not staying at either Hyatt property since there are better hotels in town. That may be, but I don't think there are any among them that would accept your friend's award nights.
Now I see what you meant - my bad
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by taiwanren
Hyatt TST is new and very convenient. K11, one of the new shopping malls is just downstairs and easy to get connected to 2 different MTR lines within 5 mins walk in the underground. Also there are many eateries and shopping outlets in TST.
Grand Hyatt Wanchai is a bit old but still under good condition. However, it's about 10 mins walk to the nearest MTR exit and there is no nearby shopping malls nearby.
Without upgrade possibility, there is no chance to see the harbour views in the standard rooms of both hotels.
It's been a coupl eof years since I stayed at the GH but, IIRC, they have a free car service (london cab) that will drop you anywhere reasonably close, which would definitely include the local MTR. You'd probably be able to get a lift to most places in Admiralty, Wan Chai or Central.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.