Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric (Escala Lodge) Park City UT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club

Spoke with Steven at the front desk - He's from the HR Irvine, on loan for a month to help with the opening/training.

1. No in-hotel restaurant, no room service, but plenty in walking distance.

2. Diamonds get a daily voucher for the Grab & Go (cafe) which sounded like Hyatt Place offerings.

3. No wired internet, but wireless is solid from all buildings and free to all guests.

4. A few rooms are 300 sq. ft. available for 15,000 pts./night; most are 1 BR suites with separate sitting room/full kitchen - use diamond suite upgrades or 21,000 pts/night, 3 night min. for those. Looking at the photos/floorplans at www.escalalodges.com will give you an idea.

5. there is a shuttle service from the airport for $37 each way pp.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I don't know if I would say there is "plenty" of dining within walking distance. There are less than 10 places to eat in the village at The Canyons. There are a few more places, but they are up on the mountain, so not really available for dinner. If you want a variety of places, not just resort fare, you'll have to drive or take the free Park City bus to either downtown Park City or out to Redstone and Newpark at Kimball Junction. Both are about 5 miles away from The Canyons (in the opposite direction).
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:09 pm
Suspended

They are adding a full service restaurant and room service by next summer 2011.

Main Street Park City is filled almost entirely with gift shops, restaurants, and bars. A short free bus ride gets you to alot of great options. Main Street Park City is amazing too, its where id want to eat on my trip anyway its not far and the bus is really easy and friendly. Try Zoom Robert Redfords restaurant, i always enjoy my meals there!

The canyons has enough but i would head to main street park city. By the way the seafood buffet at Deer Valley is truly amazing. Deer Valley dining in general is top notch and also free bus accessible, enjoy!

For any wine connoisseurs out there you have to stop by the St Regis Deer Valley 4,000-5,000 bottle wine room. The setting is picture perfect also. This hotel will make you jealous though its truly amazing. The Waldorf Astoria at the canyons short drive also has some nice restaurants with a full bar but you might need a car to get there. Its not in the village.

By the way if the cafe is much like the one at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek they will probably have some pretty good options baked goods, sandwiches, salads, soups,pizzas etc you should have good choices. It will be much better quality and not pre-made like at the Hyatt places. Its prefect for breakfast quick and gets you on the slopes fast, lunch most people eat on the mountain and most people i bet will want dinner on main street Park City so i think they can slide without one. A bar would be nice but there are really good ones again on main street or several right in the canyons village.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:55 pm
Suspended

There are actually several shuttle services to Park City to Salt Lake International and if you have multiple guests altashuttle is $100 each way for a private ride usually a large SUV, up to 4 guests a pretty good deal and leaves exactly when you want to, a good deal for 4 guests. I think you can pay more if you have additional guests.

SLC airport is a large delta hub so there are non stops to all the major cities for those of you looking for non stop flights. This is significant because it might allow you a free ski day! Delta has non stops from most major cities that land early enough to get some skiing in for free. A great start to your vacation.

If you fly in the morning you can ski for free the same day you land with an out of state ID at The Canyons! Blackout dates of Xmas season and Spring break. check for blackout DATES http://www.parkcityinfo.com/quickstart/

here are some websites for all you newbies: You will have a great trip Park City is amazing!

parkcitymountainresort.com

thecanyons.com

deervalley.com

skiutah.com
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
I'll put this out there. Over the 12/22-28 period I was looking to redeem points there. Though the hotel itself said many rooms were available, GPCS showed no award inventory only rooms $5-25 more per night than "base". Additionally, they showed no option to book "Club" rooms or "Suites" as the hotel had yet to allocate those.

I put a call into their rooms manager 2x (leaving detailed messages with the desk) yet never heard back. I was disappointed with their followup on the part of the management especially given that the property still lacks the basic amenities of a higher end property.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
I just tried to book a stay march 11-16; was told was available for pay. Good.

I asked about using GP pts... 15k/night. Good

Availability march 11 - yes, march 12 - no, march 13 - yes, march 14 and 15 - no. Very ODD!

I asked about using points for the two nights and paying for the other, whilst using DM suite upgrade cert... not possible. Was suggested to call the property and speak to in-house rez. called the front desk, super busy - so will call back... they did call back, but in-house rez was running around town as the property just took over sole management... supposedly will call back tomorrow.

Will keep posted, but at this rate, it's looking like the Caribbean this March! Not typical Hyatt service to this point.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by performancefitness
I just tried to book a stay march 11-16; was told was available for pay. Good.

I asked about using GP pts... 15k/night. Good

Availability march 11 - yes, march 12 - no, march 13 - yes, march 14 and 15 - no. Very ODD!

I asked about using points for the two nights and paying for the other, whilst using DM suite upgrade cert... not possible. Was suggested to call the property and speak to in-house rez. called the front desk, super busy - so will call back... they did call back, but in-house rez was running around town as the property just took over sole management... supposedly will call back tomorrow.

Will keep posted, but at this rate, it's looking like the Caribbean this March! Not typical Hyatt service to this point.
I'd give them a few months to get up to speed with Hyatt procedures. However, nothing prevents you from booking those 2 nights with points and reserving other 3 as paid nights. If I were you I'd book paid nights as 3 single-night reservations so that it is easy to convert them to award nights should the availability improves. You don't have to talk with the hotel at all to do this - just do it online.

Regarding your comment about the odd availability, remember that mid-March is the spring break season so it is not that hard to imagine that the award availability is slim.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:45 am

just to add my time point to this...

i booked a 1 bdrm suite on gp points..23k for 3 nights...2/4-2/7...and then booked a single guestroom on gp points...15k for 2 nights...2/4-2/6

so, its possible, but i have noticed recently that the online booking using GP has been flaky...sometimes it shows something, sometimes not.

hope it helps. looking forward to checking this place out.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by todorovic
I'd give them a few months to get up to speed with Hyatt procedures. However, nothing prevents you from booking those 2 nights with points and reserving other 3 as paid nights. If I were you I'd book paid nights as 3 single-night reservations so that it is easy to convert them to award nights should the availability improves. You don't have to talk with the hotel at all to do this - just do it online.

Regarding your comment about the odd availability, remember that mid-March is the spring break season so it is not that hard to imagine that the award availability is slim.
You are correct; I know it is spring break and I understand the availability. I was going to reserve the one nighters, but to reserve the normal room there is a deposit required and it is equal to one room night.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:53 am

Our family of 4 just stayed at the Hyatt Escala over MLK weekend so I wanted to share our experience.

The resort itself is beautiful and new feeling. As you drive in, you feel you've made the right choice.

I am Hyatt Diamond and we used points for our 2 night stay at 15000/night. We were booked into a 2 Queen standard room. I was told this was an upgraded room, I'd hate to see the non upgraded. It seemed like they were trying to pack as much as possible into a tight space and with ski gear it was very tight and we were walking over everything. If I stayed again, I'd want at least a 1 BR. Also, our room was super hot, we had to leave the patio door open all night.

The diamond breakfast consisted of a 15/person per day credit at their provisions store which had bagels, muffins, coffee, and any other groceries you can imagine, pizzas, frozen dinners, soups, cookies, candy, soda, etc. This really was a fabulous deal as we could spend it however we wanted and with 4 of us, you could really go crazy. But since our room didn't have a full kitchen we couldn't do anything more than microwave and also there was no where to sit and eat even near the store so that was interesting.

The hot tub/pool was great and big enough for all the people there that used it. Cleanliness seemed to be the biggest issue as the hot tub needed to be cleaned and the side of the tub had the same chips around it all weekend. Our room had old food in it when we got there which I find disgusting even though it was probably an oversight. Overall, I think the place is understaffed as our room didn't get cleaned until 4:30pm which is an issue since that is the same time everyone is done skiing and wants to rest/change.

They really want you to Valet park and don't really want to tell you about the self park, we called down 5 min ahead like told and it took at least 15 min to get our car. You can easily self park there and I would recommend it as it is heated under building parking and is very easy to get in/out.

Ski In/Out access was great, they need to improve the Canyons access to the Sunrise lift but that has nothing to do with the Hyatt. Also, the Ski Valet at the Hyatt was awesome as it was on the second floor and you could go directly outside from there. They also have rental available right there.

Overall, we had a good experience and would stay there again but with a bigger room with a kitchen. Food options nearby seemed like we would want a car which we had. The staff is just getting up to speed on the Hyatt procedures so I think that will be better as time goes on as well.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:42 pm

wheres the self park and how much is it? Is there any free parking nearby?

Originally Posted by dockmom4
Our family of 4 just stayed at the Hyatt Escala over MLK weekend so I wanted to share our experience.

The resort itself is beautiful and new feeling. As you drive in, you feel you've made the right choice.

I am Hyatt Diamond and we used points for our 2 night stay at 15000/night. We were booked into a 2 Queen standard room. I was told this was an upgraded room, I'd hate to see the non upgraded. It seemed like they were trying to pack as much as possible into a tight space and with ski gear it was very tight and we were walking over everything. If I stayed again, I'd want at least a 1 BR. Also, our room was super hot, we had to leave the patio door open all night.

The diamond breakfast consisted of a 15/person per day credit at their provisions store which had bagels, muffins, coffee, and any other groceries you can imagine, pizzas, frozen dinners, soups, cookies, candy, soda, etc. This really was a fabulous deal as we could spend it however we wanted and with 4 of us, you could really go crazy. But since our room didn't have a full kitchen we couldn't do anything more than microwave and also there was no where to sit and eat even near the store so that was interesting.

The hot tub/pool was great and big enough for all the people there that used it. Cleanliness seemed to be the biggest issue as the hot tub needed to be cleaned and the side of the tub had the same chips around it all weekend. Our room had old food in it when we got there which I find disgusting even though it was probably an oversight. Overall, I think the place is understaffed as our room didn't get cleaned until 4:30pm which is an issue since that is the same time everyone is done skiing and wants to rest/change.

They really want you to Valet park and don't really want to tell you about the self park, we called down 5 min ahead like told and it took at least 15 min to get our car. You can easily self park there and I would recommend it as it is heated under building parking and is very easy to get in/out.

Ski In/Out access was great, they need to improve the Canyons access to the Sunrise lift but that has nothing to do with the Hyatt. Also, the Ski Valet at the Hyatt was awesome as it was on the second floor and you could go directly outside from there. They also have rental available right there.

Overall, we had a good experience and would stay there again but with a bigger room with a kitchen. Food options nearby seemed like we would want a car which we had. The staff is just getting up to speed on the Hyatt procedures so I think that will be better as time goes on as well.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:53 am

Self park is free, so is the Valet, Self Park is located under the building just as you enter the resort. It's pretty easy to find.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dockmom4
Self park is free, so is the Valet, Self Park is located under the building just as you enter the resort. It's pretty easy to find.
I think that parking rates are the thing that really makes people upset at beaver creek and puts them in a complaining mood of the hotel since its so expensive. The only free option there does require taking the bus and getting permission so its not convenient if you need access to your car quickly or often. This is great that the hotel dosn't charge for parking and three ski areas in Park City is The Canyons is an amazing ski resort its alot bigger than Beaver Creek too! Plus you have two other ski resorts right in the same town to enjoy this is such a great addition to Hyatt. I knew they had to enter the Utah ski market they were the only major chain not have a presence it was a major gap for them

I bet the points go up at this property once the full service restaurant is in. Its a good deal with points Park City hotels can be pricey
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
Stayed 2 weekend nights(points on 1st/paying 2nd night) and was upgraded to a 1BR suite with a full kitchen/living room. Checked in early around 10am and initially told the my room wasn't ready so I've used---"I am a Diamond member, can you please help me out?" line. :-) Got an upgraded room within 10min.

We've used valet parking and worth the few $ tips. Most of the staff(bell/front desk) were under 30yo--more like college kids. Very friendly and liked the young staff's willingness to help. Ski in-out option is a bit tricky--coming back to the hotel you have to take "Doc's Run" and look for "Road D.O." trail to the right. I wouldn't suggest this route unless you are a good skier as entrance to the hotel is on a very steep hill with not much space for you to brake.

Also, hotel has a shuttle service(Escalade SUV) within Canyon/7-11 run at late night) and recommend Westgate's spa which is 5min walking distance from Hyatt.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
One thing that bodes especially well for this property is that the GM is Claudia Wattenberg, formerly on the executive team at Hyatt Maui for many years. She's outstanding - a really responsive, helpful, nice person who absolutely cares about the guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.