Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Mesa (Phoenix), Arizona REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond

I've had 3 recent stays at the HP in Mesa, AZ

A block south of The 202 just east of the 101 interchange.
Take either the Alma School Rd exit (then left at the 1st light) or Dobson (right at the 1st light).

It's just to the east (and within walking distance) of a major shopping district. I've always been a late arrival followed by an early flight the next morning, so have never checked out the local shopping/dining.

Easy access to PHX Skyharbor Airport. Back onto The 202 westbound direct to the airport in 10 minutes.
Technically, the HP Tempe is the closest to the airport (5 minutes, a shuttle and usually Park-n-Fly rates. HP Mesa has neither) but the rates at Mesa are typically better than Tempe.

Property
This is a "new style" HP. Actually, the only one I've visited that wasn't the AmeriSuites design.
The lobby will look very familiar, tho the layout is different and each area is larger than AmeriSuites.
The "business center" computers are adjacent to the gallery, on the way back to the elevators. Nice to not feel like you're in a closet, but not good if you don't want folks glancing over at your screen.
Pool and the surrounding area is very nice. Looks as if they really wanted to provide a pool versus putting in anything to comply with franchise agreements. Decent sized, ample seating including a small covered area.

Room
It's HP, what more can I say ?
Seeing that the lobby was slightly different from all the other HPs I've been at, I guess I was expecting a slightly modified room layout.

Same ole same ole.
Same cramped bathroom. And same nice dressing area.
Same "ooops, we forgot to design in a closet, ummm... put it over there in that nook behind the TV".

The AC/Heat unit was even the window mount version. I was really expecting central air with the "new design" HP.
The so called "kitchenette" had a min-fridge only. No mini sink. No microwave.

Very clean, as was the rest of the property.

People
Just great.
At check-in, I usually seem to arrive at the same time as 2-3 other parties. Yet service has always been quick with an apology for the small wait. I've never considered the kiosk.
At check-out, the FD (/Phone Operator/Gallery Clerk/everything gal) has always been busy. But again gets to me quickly with smile and apology. It's amazing what simple, sincere "I'm sorry" can do

Gold Passport / Diamond
Ok, confession time. Why would anyone take the time to start a new review thread for an HP ??
I don't even take the time trying to get my points correct while I'm at an HP. To me, an HP stay = an e-mail to GP CS. Period.

HP Mesa has gotten it 100% right on all 3 stays. Yes, I said HP, not HR.
And all 3 stays were as a Diamond and ...get this... all 3 involved Gx Bonuses.

And I've never had to ask about Diamond Amenity. FD has always asked me without prompting.
On stay #2, when I verbally selected the 500 points, "Jim" said "good choice, cuz I'll spot ya a water or some fruit anyhow".

I didn't mention the Gx when checking in for stays 1 & 2. It showed up automatically on stay #1.
For stay #2, I had forgotten to check for/include a Gx when I made my on-line reservation. As Jim added in the 1W, I heard him say (kinda to himself) "and the G1 also".
Stay #3, the FD didn't say anything after adding in the 1W, so I did break my personal HP policy and mention the G1. She gave me a strange look, went to her computer and within 20 seconds said "oh...ok, there's a G1 one my list of promos, you've got it now".

I've always assumed that HP software just didn't allow FD too many choices to add promos.
HP Mesa has proven me wrong. It can be done !!

Steve
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Arrow Local Interest - Gelato

A note from a local - this HP is within walking distance of the best Gelato on earth, bar none.

Angel Sweet Gelato
937 North Dobson Road
Mesa, Arizona 85201
(480) 969-5227

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...h&z=12&iwloc=A

Angel Sweet's gelato is the richest, the smoothiest, the creamiest, the absolute best gelato in the world. This includes every gelato spot I have ever been to in Italy, the east coast, etc. We drive twenty minutes down the 101 to Mesa for the sole purpose of buying a small cup of their gelato, eating it, and turning around and going home.

They also have their original store down in Chandler.

Tips:

1. If you are buying for yourself, get a Small or Kids size, as the gelato is so rich that more than that can be overkill.
2. They will put up to three flavors into a Small dish. So you might combine (Superdark Chocolate, Pistachio, and Creamy Cream), or perhaps (Mango, Fruit of the Forest, and Lemon), in a single dish.

Directions:

Exit out the front of the HP.
Walk to the RIGHT along Bass Pro Drive (Curves to the South and then West).
Walk to the West past the Cinemark to your right.
Walk to the West past numerous restaurants [Arby's, El Pollo Loco, Chili's, Logan's].
Angel Sweet is in a strip store to the South of Bass Pro, but with the entrances facing South, away from Bass Pro.
Angel Sweet's current neighbors are Subway and Wingstop, but these change all the time.

http://www.angelsweetgelato.com/

Disclosure: I have no financial interest in Angel Sweet. I just really like their gelato.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
Stayed here for the first time this week and it was a good experience. I agree with nearly all of the comments from the OP regarding the layout of this HP. Only a couple of things I would add to or modify. The bathroom is larger than the last HP I stayed at (Louisville East). The floor space not taken up by the tub/shower is wider than the toilet width, so that's a bonus IMO. Also, this HP has a putting green out next to the pool area. It's a synthetic turf with half a dozen or so holes.

Regarding the local area, there are several restaurants, a movie theater and other shops all within walking distance. Though when the thermometer says 100+F you might want to drive.

One note particular to my stay ... there was a large youth group staying at the hotel while I was here. That made the breakfast line just too long to wait in. The staff passed out a letter to the guests offering complimentary in-room breakfast service with continental items and beverages. You just had to call the Gallery Host to place an order. I thought it was a very reasonable solution to an unatnticipated problem.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Planning to stay next month. Wondering if it has been updated since 2011.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
well i stayed and will not be back. Bed was too soft and old. Noisy backyard music blasting past 10pm. Can't believe rates were over $200+ a night.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
A quick Jan 2023 data point: I found this to be an above average HP. Service was friendly and covered all of the required bases, the room was very clean and the HVAC blower wasn't too loud, and the breakfast spread was perfectly adequate. You can walk to a couple of restaurants and drive 5+ minutes to a bunch more. The airport is an easy < 15 minute drive away. I would stay here again before an early morning flight.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:56 am

Stayed at this Hyatt last week to watch some spring training games. The hotel is about 1.5 miles from Sloan Park and as others have mentioned near a lot of restaurants and shopping (McDonalds, Chick Fil A, Cracker Barrel, Raisin' Cane) The hotel rooms seemed a bit dated, but nothing terrible. Breakfast was what you'd expect from a Hyatt Place.

If you have an ample amount of Marriott points and are there for Cubs games, I'd recommend staying at the Courtyard or Sheraton which is within walking distance, but we will be staying here next year.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:59 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
well i stayed and will not be back. Bed was too soft and old. Noisy backyard music blasting past 10pm. Can't believe rates were over $200+ a night.
Love a soft bed I'm in Not sure what the old part of the equation is unless it smelled or was falling apart?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.