Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place - Pittsburgh Airport - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:00 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood

One of the best places I have stayed at. LOVE this hotel! The Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Airport has just lost at least 15 stays because this place is sooo much nicer, more accommodating, and better in so many ways. Free parking, free breakfast (continental), rooms have very large flat screen TVs, refridgerators, nice storage space. The staff is INCREDIBLY nice (the manager even offered to meet me at the REI when I called all stressed out last night and couldn't find the hotel!).
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by ldsant
One of the best places I have stayed at. LOVE this hotel! The Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Airport has just lost at least 15 stays because this place is sooo much nicer, more accommodating, and better in so many ways. Free parking, free breakfast (continental), rooms have very large flat screen TVs, refridgerators, nice storage space. The staff is INCREDIBLY nice (the manager even offered to meet me at the REI when I called all stressed out last night and couldn't find the hotel!).
Good to see that you had a great experience. I've stayed in both places (the HR PIT just last weekend) ... the staff are nice at both. The HR is a nicer property. I didn't get charged for parking in the small 20 car lot at the HR, though don't know how common that practice is, over the phone I was told it'd be $26 to park there, and on the web they just say valet available. I assume they mostly handle it first come first serve.

The HP is a bit closer to town. The HP breakfast is terrible, truly terrible. Unfortunately, the HR breakfast I wasn't satisfied with, being the lowest quality I've had at any full-service Hyatt, but it was acceptable.

The mini-fridge in HP can be nice to have, but also often so loud I've unplugged them

The web-listed prices have been high at HP this fall.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I've stayed at both these properties and would never say that the HP is better than HR at the Airport. However I do agree that the HP is nice but a full service hotel is definitely a different animal than a budget chain.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Regardless of service and amenities, the point of staying at an airport hotel is usually to be near the airport. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the Regency is actually attached to the airport. For me, a 5 minute enclosed walk from the HR beats waiting for a shuttle ride to/from the HP, particularly with a late-night arrival and/or early-morning departure. For that reason alone, I'd stay at the Regency and pay a premium for it, the amount of the premium depending on how much I value my sleep that night. (My opinion may be colored by my use of these properties last year for a combination mileage run and FFN mattress run, arriving at about 11pm and departing on a 6am flight )

If time isn't an issue, then yes, it's a standard Hyatt Place (i.e. very nice) and can be worth it if you want to save some money.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:26 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I agree re: it's nice to walk from the hotel to the airport; but i'm more about service. After my last 4 stays at the HR Pittsburgh Airport being so awful and the GM doing NOTHING (not even having the courtesy to return a message until I contacted Consumer Affairs) to address any of my concerns I have moved my business to the HP. Didn't have breakfast this AM but not sure how the HR was terrible as one posted above since it's order off the menu breakfast.

HP has many items right across the street where there isn't anything at the HR airport as far as eating/getting something to drink (except for the HR restaurant). Not sure how a poster was able to get free parking - in 12 stays that was never offered and when asked was told "oh - it's run by the airport; we have no control. . ."

Anyway, like I said - for me it's about service and being polite and accommodating. HR is DEFINITELY NOT that these days.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by ldsant
I agree re: it's nice to walk from the hotel to the airport; but i'm more about service. After my last 4 stays at the HR Pittsburgh Airport being so awful and the GM doing NOTHING (not even having the courtesy to return a message until I contacted Consumer Affairs) to address any of my concerns I have moved my business to the HP. Didn't have breakfast this AM but not sure how the HR was terrible as one posted above since it's order off the menu breakfast.

HP has many items right across the street where there isn't anything at the HR airport as far as eating/getting something to drink (except for the HR restaurant). Not sure how a poster was able to get free parking - in 12 stays that was never offered and when asked was told "oh - it's run by the airport; we have no control. . ."

Anyway, like I said - for me it's about service and being polite and accommodating. HR is DEFINITELY NOT that these days.
I expected the HR PIT to have a club, and when was told no club at this property, I asked about breakfast, and was directed to the buffet. The buffet wasn't so good, but acceptable.

They seem to direct everyone to the airport parking lot, there is a $8 one (and a more expensive one?) that surround the hotel, with exception of the small lot on the rear of the hotel property that has enough spaces for about 20 cars.

The room was nice, though they seemed to run out of renovation funding, as much of the furniture was new, but mixed in were several very worn older items.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Checked in last night and have never stayed at a HP before. I was status matched to Diamond so I am not familiar with all the benefits.

The room was large and appears to be a standard configuration for this hotel brand.

Pros:
  • Huge TV with HD
  • cordless phone
  • large comfy couch with ottoman
  • Fridge
  • cheap good food from the pantry/bakery (cheaper than typical room service)
  • free fast internet
Cons:
  • no complimentary bottled water
  • tub/toilet area was tiny
  • no hand lotion as an amenity
  • no place other than the living room to set up luggage stand
  • no microwave
  • fresh continental breakfast and option to use real plates and cups (Hampton Inn uses all paper)
  • There were bright spot lights on the side of the building and there was literally a glow all around the window where the light seeped thru. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I had overslept.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by prncess674
Checked in last night and have never stayed at a HP before. I was status matched to Diamond so I am not familiar with all the benefits.

The room was large and appears to be a standard configuration for this hotel brand.

Pros:
  • Huge TV with HD
  • cordless phone
  • large comfy couch with ottoman
  • Fridge
  • cheap good food from the pantry/bakery (cheaper than typical room service)
  • free fast internet
Cons:
  • no complimentary bottled water
  • tub/toilet area was tiny
  • no hand lotion as an amenity
  • no place other than the living room to set up luggage stand
  • no microwave
  • fresh continental breakfast and option to use real plates and cups (Hampton Inn uses all paper)
  • There were bright spot lights on the side of the building and there was literally a glow all around the window where the light seeped thru. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I had overslept.
One note they aren't real plates - its the same plastic/composite material that the other properties use.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Pittsburg Airport Hyatt Place

Standard former Amerisuites HP with redone bathroom (now shower only, but of course structurally too small to turn around in with the door open). Very clean, good bedding. Louder than normal AC but I suppose that all depends on your room. Good hosts. Good house computer and wireless connection. You could do worse.

(Please merge if I missed an existing thread).

Last edited by jayer; Sep 12, 2013 at 6:00 pm
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
I used to go out of my way to stay at this hotel because of great customer service, but I won't be staying here again. All my future visits will be at the airport Hyatt (which is usually only $10-25 more a night anyway).

This hotel recently outsourced its airport shuttle service...and it's TERRIBLE. This Hyatt Place is already among the furthest 'airport' hotels, since the drive takes about 15 minutes as-is. But instead of taking 15 minutes to get passengers (when the hotel ran the shuttle) they now use a service called Airport Hotel Express, which goes seemingly everywhere--but the Hyatt is apparently always the last stop (and probably first pick-up, going to the airport). After my flight into Pittsburgh, I waited 15 minutes for a shuttle (which, to me, is acceptable) but I was picked up with a couple who got dropped off--first--to an apartment complex (not even a hotel!) in Moon, PA. That location was 20 minutes in the wrong direction of the hotel. It ended up taking me almost an hour to reach the Hyatt Place. My wife's flight arrived a few hours before me and her shuttle also dropped-off at a motel in Moon, PA first.

Bottom line: Unless you enjoy a scenic 1-hour trip to your hotel from the airport, avoid this place like the plague! I can't even imagine how awful & stressful it would be staying here and traveling to the airport, since making the Hyatt the first pickup location (again, being the furthest away) would be. Honestly, I didn't even think Hyatt allowed its hotels to outsource shuttles like this. Hyatt shouldn't allow this hotel to call itself an airport hotel anymore.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
FWIW, shuttle is still part of some general service. But (earlier this week) it did come almost immediately and went straight to HP, so worked fine in this instance. Don't know if they have made it more "Hyatt HP friendly" or whether this was just a positive YMMV thing.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:20 pm

Due to the location of PIT being in the middle of Moon, almost all PIT airport hotels are very far away, with the exception of the on site HR at the airport.
Most PIT airport hotels are in the Robinson Town area as the HP, so the shuttle ride will be loooooong. The Marriott is 1.5 mile closer to the airport.
A couple hotels including the Sheraton are on the cargo side of the airport, that shuttle ride will circle around the airport. Not a short ride either.
The never ending Pittsburgh construction seasons on the high way does not help to shorten the ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.