Wiki Posts
Search

WASHINGTON DC: Hyatt Choices?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:13 am
Original Poster

WASHINGTON DC: Hyatt Choices?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you could offer some input on a decision I'm making for an upcoming trip. I am going to be spending between 5 and 7 days with my girlfriend in DC in late August.

The first two nights, Wednesday and Thursday, I am currently booked at the Hotel Palomar (a Kimpton boutique). Over the weekend I'm at the Park Hyatt through Fine Hotels and Resorts. Finally, if I choose to stay longer, I need another hotel for Monday and Tuesday, as the Park Hyatt jumps out of my price range.

The Palomar is $220 per night and the Park Hyatt $280 with a third night free.

Assuming I earn Hyatt points through my stay at the PH, I'd still like to further earn points from this vacation. However, I'm finding fairly negative reviews of the two other major Hyatt properties in DC--the Grand and the Regency Capitol Hill. The additional properties outside the immediate metropolitan area seem far too business-like for a couples' vacation, and also seem a bit run down. Anyone have any suggestions on a property or arrangement that will let me earn some more Hyatt points for this trip? I'm at a loss as the Grand and Regency have weekday rates in the high $200s, if not more, and I simply can't justify that when other 4-star DC hotels are $100 cheaper.

Bethesda, Arlington, any ideas? I greatly appreciate the insight of all you Hyatt veterans on this forum!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You will certainly experience a drop in standards when leaving the PH, but if you are sight-seeing this should not matter all that much. None of the Hyatt's are dumps. If price is a real factor, then consider moving to the Hyatt Arlington which tends to be the least expensive on weekdays, or even Crystal City. Arlington is across the street from the Metro, so you can get to various parts of the city quickly and relatively cheaply and do your touristing through the day, hop the Metro back after dinner. Even Crystal City has a few little restaurants located up the street and offers a shuttle to/from the Metro. Of the in-city Hyatts, Capitol Hill is well located for walking to the various art galleries of the Smithsonian, plus the Capitol and Supreme Court buildings, and other sights in the east end zone of the Mall. And there are lots of places to eat within walking distance.

I decided to do a Mattress Run in two weeks (despite the heat), and the weekend rates at the Grand, Capitol and Arlington are all under $100 a night and each set me up for a convenient walk to the venues I plan to see in the city. Each is just an easy Metro ride from one another. I will thus ensure Diamond for another year even if we don't have another promo like last year's 4th Quarter one. (Rest of my Hyatts are outside NAmerica, so mostly expensive Grands and Parks, as are most of my other stays this year.)
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Entry level on most others
We stayed at the Grand over Memorial day weekend and found it quite nice. It was much improved over when I had stayed there a few years back. It is also very conveniently located right on top of Metro Center and a short walk from Chinatown, etc. My other favorite property in the area is the Arlington/Rosslyn Hyatt (NOT Crystal City). The Rosslyn property is sort of boutique-y and very friendly. It's a smaller hotel and is right around the corner from the Rosslyn Metro and close to things to do in North Arlington like the Courthouse and Clarendon neighborhoods.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Oops, I didn't realize the difference between the Crystal City and the Arlington/Rosslyn Regency. Unfortunately, I can't find any weekday rates under $250 at the Arlington. There must be something in town for the dates I'm searching (8/18-8/20 and 8/23-8/25). If nothing else opens up, I may just bite the bullet and spend the $300 per night for the PH.

Oh well. Thanks for the tips!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by nba1017
If nothing else opens up, I may just bite the bullet and spend the $300 per night for the PH.

Oh well. Thanks for the tips!
I think it would be very good idea to stay at the PH the whole time to make the trip more relaxing. The PH is still a very good value at $300, especially considering the fact that you will receive the FHR benefits which are essentially the same as one would get as a Diamond member on a direct booking.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:22 am

are you a AAA member 'cause I notice rates are reasonable for members at most Hyatt DC locations.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
are you a AAA member 'cause I notice rates are reasonable for members at most Hyatt DC locations.

I am an AAA member, yet I'm not finding anything particularly competitive at any location besides the PH.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Must be an end of summer convention, though rates do tend to double from the weekend to the weekdays.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Palomar

Hey everyone,

The first two nights, Wednesday and Thursday, I am currently booked at the Hotel Palomar (a Kimpton boutique).

The Palomar is $220 per night and the Park Hyatt $280 with a third night free.
I'm at the Palomar tonight. IMHO, it is not worth $220/night. The rooms are nice, but I've been in better in DC for $220/night. This hotel is known for good service, so maybe it is commanding a premium for that. I'm only here for one night and I got it for $99/night off of Hotwire, so I can't complain.

P.S. be sure you join the Kimpton Intouch rewards program, you'll get free Wi-Fi and a $10 credit for the minibar.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by autospy
I'm at the Palomar tonight. IMHO, it is not worth $220/night. The rooms are nice, but I've been in better in DC for $220/night. This hotel is known for good service, so maybe it is commanding a premium for that. I'm only here for one night and I got it for $99/night off of Hotwire, so I can't complain.

P.S. be sure you join the Kimpton Intouch rewards program, you'll get free Wi-Fi and a $10 credit for the minibar.
Hey Autopsy,

I'm surprised--everything I've heard about the Palomar has been positive. May I ask what room type you're in, and, if you don't mind, what in particular you find to be less than cost-beneficial about the hotel?

And, of course, thank you for the tip!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I liked the Hyatt Regency Capital Hill the last time I stayed there. I was on business for one night, but everything was nice and it was an uneventful stay. The location is great, about 2 blocks from Union Station (Red Line Metro) and the rooms were clean. I was on the top floor in a regency room, but I can image all of the rooms are fairly nice. The club was small, but had everything I needed.

I liked it so much, I am heading back for an extended Labor Day visit using a SU. Not a bad hotel for about ~$120 a night, plus you can use the costco promo code to get a hotel credit every night of your stay. Might be helpful if you plan to eat on-site or rack up other charges.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Just an FYI - Rosslyn is dead at night. I am a local and there really isn't anything to do after the sun goes down - Rosslyn's attraction is its location: 1) one metro stop to DC; 2) 4 stops to Metro Center; 3) A cheap late night taxi ride home from DC ; and 4) walking distance to G'town. Basically, it's not DC, but as close as you can get

The Palomar seems nice but the rooms are a bit small (visited a colleague staying there a few weeks ago).

The Grand Hyatt is a decent hotel and would be nice for a few nights.

If you are looking to do non-DC related things stay at one of the Hyatts out near Dulles (probably will be more cost effective assuming you have a car???). You could visit Bull Run/Manassas battle field and the Air and Space Annex - maybe even the Ferrari dealership off of Route 28

Cheers
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Unfortunately, I can't find any weekday rates under $250 at the Arlington. There must be something in town for the dates I'm searching (8/18-8/20 and 8/23-8/25).
$ 250 for a Hyatt on a weekday in Washington is actually a very good rate, also rates drop 20-30% during the summer break.

The rates at the Grand used to be $ 89-99 on Friday and Saturday, while all other days started at $ 299, even more with a convention going on across the street...
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:21 am

Considering the fact that the PH is the nicer hotel, and the FHR rate of $300 would include an upgrade and breakfast, the rates at the other properties would have to be substantially lower than $200~$250 for it to make sense to consider moving IMHO.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Considering the fact that the PH is the nicer hotel, and the FHR rate of $300 would include an upgrade and breakfast, the rates at the other properties would have to be substantially lower than $200~$250 for it to make sense to consider moving IMHO.

My thoughts as well. $284 for a Premier Deluxe King room (likely resulting in a suite upgrade) with a free night on the weekend at the PH offsets the $380 I'd pay for the weekday rate, and it seems to be an absolutely unnecessary bit of frugality to save $80 to stay at the Grand instead. Think I'm set, thanks for the input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.