Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt house (Summerfield) Fort Lauderdale Airport-South REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Didn't see a thread on this property so here it goes....

Diamond GP member here.

The property opened March 10, 2010, and I stayed the evening of March 16. The hotel is across the street from a Hyatt Place (which opened a few months earlier) and must share the same staff. I didn't book on hyatt.com because I wanted to see the place before I booked it. When I walked in, it looked okay so I booked right at the desk. I asked for the AAA rate and the two associates didn't know how to book that rate. They had to call over to the Hyatt Place for a supervisor to teach them how to book it. Unfortunately, the supervisor left and the agent still took almost a half hour to figure out how to check me in. I finally said I was going to leave if he didn't have me checked in within two more minutes. It was borderline ridiculous. He finally got me a key but I had to handle the GP business (i.e., give my number, etc.) the next morning. It was pretty painful.

The room was nice, the bed was comfortable. The wifi was fast and there were plenty of electrical outlets. The bathroom was nice. The water pressure wasn't overwhelming but the shower head was nice. Overall, pretty nice room. I am not sure if there should have been a small bottle of water in the room...but there wasn't.

Breakfast in the morning was fair. The coffee was good but the rest of the food was pretty mediocre. I had a banana and coffee.

I am pretty new to being Diamond. I was not offered a Diamond amenity (either at night or in the morning when I had to re-give my GP card) and nothing posted to my account. Wasn't sure if that was part of the Summerfield Suites program.

Overall, I would stay here for the strength of the room product. The staff was pretty clueless (though friendly). They could use a training course on hotel information systems.

Edited to add: my rate was about $110 and the HP across the street was $40 more.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
me too

Funny - I stayed there exact same night - and had much the same experience. The desk staff was young and rather clueless. The gentleman couldn't get me checked in (advance res)/run my Amex and had to have an associate do it. Took about 10 mins to get checked in.

Nice hotel though - I like SFS's and this brand new, build from the ground up, had pretty modern room - glass enclosed shower, nice layout. Manager reception in evening was good and so was breakfast

I booked a studio and was not upgraded to 1 bedroom even though I presented Diamond card at check in. No amenity offered to em either - hope my bonus points show up. Desk staff was also somewhat clueless about all area restaurants - asked where Fridays was and they said "don't know of one around", though it was in the plaza across the street next to other restaurants they suggested!

That staff needs serious training. Guess that comes with a new hotel.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mdaecher
glass enclosed shower, nice layout. Manager reception in evening was good and so was breakfast

I booked a studio and was not upgraded to 1 bedroom even though I presented Diamond card at check in. No amenity offered to em either - hope my bonus points show up. Desk staff was also somewhat clueless about all area restaurants - asked where Fridays was and they said "don't know of one around", though it was in the plaza across the street next to other restaurants they suggested!

That staff needs serious training. Guess that comes with a new hotel.
LOL. We had identical experiences.

I liked the room layout and glass enclosed shower. I just missed the reception...not sure if it was because it took 30 minutes to check me in. I thought the bfast food was pretty mediocre.

I had to write to GP to have the amenity posted. It did not happen automatically. I also was not upgraded even though the front desk staff admitted that they were empty. (I asked why the Hyatt Place across the street was $40 more and they said that they were empty and HP was full.)

I also asked for thoughts on neighborhood restaurants and staff couldn't be more clueless. Well, they were clueless about everything, to be honest. Maybe it was the water.

But, issues aside, I would stay again due to the quality of the room/product.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
I'd stay again too - I'm sure )hope) they'll get the staff up to speed
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:18 pm

Any recent stays?

Need to stay before and after a cruise, anyone stayed at this location or HP across the road? Any experience with SPG or Hilton by the airport? Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 4MM, Hyatt CC, Marriott PP/LT Plat, AA ExPlat, Amex Centurion
Stayed there one night earlier this month. We stayed in a 2-BR trio that was very acceptable. Spacious room. Good breakfast. We would definitely stay again.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:43 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Over one year since anyone reviewed?

any recent experiences?
Better or worse than Hyatt Place across the street?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:46 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by adgtravel
Need to stay before and after a cruise, anyone stayed at this location or HP across the road? Any experience with SPG or Hilton by the airport? Thanks
Late but not forgotten
Hilton full service Good for airport location and much cheaper than Hyatt Place with MVP rates
Sheraton better public areas and computers aging hotel that's adequate
Club lounge meh quality. Great upgrades for SPG plats two bi level suites
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I stayed here recently. Checkin and checkout were quick. Booked a King one bdrm suite for 8K points which was a decent deal. Room was OK with full size fridge and microwave and a separate bedroom. Managers reception (5:30pm-7:00pm) had pasta with tomato or white sauce along with salad, veggies and dip and cookies, ... Also fountain soda and beer (Bud light and Michelob Amberbock) along with white and red wine by Franzia - pretty basic but this was all included at no charge. The second day, they had spinach and artichoke dip with pretzel bread and salad/veggies

Breakfast had scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, ...

I have also seen the rooms at the Hyatt Place across the street - pretty typical Hyatt Place.

I would pick the Hyatt House over the Hyatt Place since it has a separate bedroom and the manager's reception.

The only complaint that I have is that the water is yellow at both hotels but this seems to be common in the area
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I stayed there a while back and was UG to a two bedroom. I prefer this hotel over the HP, But the HP is usually cheaper...
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:27 am

Just completed a one night stay (17MAR14) Use cash and points at a rate of $55 and 4000 pts. Rates were about $160 for the night I needed. Was able to get a two bedroom suite upgrade after asking if any suites were available. Got offered an upgraded room cause of my Diamond status, but asked nicely if the suites were available and got the two bedroom!
The two bedroom suite is great and big.(You can see pictures on there website. Being a Hyatt House, you pretty much know what to expect from the property. Not really much around the property but if you don't mind a 10-20 minute walk, there are fast food places and a Kmart across the street.
We had to take a $20 cab ride into the airport the next morning as the free shuttle didn't begin service until 5am (We had a 6am departure)
Overall very good stay for want we needed.
Note that I've seen this property go for about $90 a night, thus I use cash and points to save some money..
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
How does this hotel compare to the new Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port? I'll be spending a couple of weeks in the area and looking for something comfortable with decent internet as I'll be working from my room in the evenings. I usually stay at full service Marriott, Starwood or Hyatt properties. Because of my length of stay and the cost I'm thinking either the Hyatt House or Residence Inn might be my best choice. I've never stayed at a Hyatt House but I'm' assuming it's similar to the Residence Inn. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Uh Clem
How does this hotel compare to the new Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port? I'll be spending a couple of weeks in the area and looking for something comfortable with decent internet as I'll be working from my room in the evenings. I usually stay at full service Marriott, Starwood or Hyatt properties. Because of my length of stay and the cost I'm thinking either the Hyatt House or Residence Inn might be my best choice. I've never stayed at a Hyatt House but I'm' assuming it's similar to the Residence Inn. Any suggestions?
Ive stayed at HHs but not this one(I did stay across the road at the HP the other week. You probably want to make sure you get the 1 bedroom at a min, some places dont even have the studio.

That said I think the big difference is the RIs earns just 5 pts per $1 1/2 the reg earnings with MR.While HH earns the same amount as if you were at a reg Hyatt. True a Plat with MR a 50% bonus, while with HGP a Diamond earns 30% bonus. Over all the pts you earn with Hyatt are worth more and kicks back more then the pts youd earn with MR @ the RI.

Dont know if its important the HP had a small pool no hot tub dont know what the HH offers nor the RI.I unfortunately didnt check thinking in FL it would have a tub boy was I disappointed. Wanted to ask if the HH had one but it was boiling every night so I wouldnt have used it. Its very quite in the HH/HP area its down a dead end street with an HGI as the 1st property and a SHS by MR on the main drag. Even w/o the hot tub Id return to the HP or HH depending which is cheaper, this time the HP was cheaper by a few bucks. Its very convenient to get in and out as its off the 95 @ Sterling Rd and 1/2 block East on the North side
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Is this thread in reference to Hyatt House Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? If so, WiFi is limited to 2mbps.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by seawolf
Is this thread in reference to Hyatt House Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? If so, WiFi is limited to 2mbps.
Yes and sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.