Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Deerfield (Illinois - N Chicago) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:42 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST

I can't find a thread on this hotel and the sticky says "No Specific Review" so I thought I'd start one.

I've been staying here weekly for the past few weeks and thought I'd share my input.

The hotel is decent. Nicely appointed standard Hyatt lobby. Easy check in with kiosks, web check in, and a station to print boarding passes. The staff at check in is VERY friendly and competent. The restaurant food is pretty good for a suburban hotel restaurant, and I was pleasantly surprised last night by the quality of the seared tuna sandwich. Room service also delivers very quickly. The equipment in the workout room seems to all be functional (which is rare for many hotels!) and there is an indoor lap pool and hot tub.

The rooms are nice and pretty well kept up. The way they are configured they tend to have the "illusion" of being a suite which is cool. There aren't that many channels on TV. Also, the walls are very thin in this hotel, and the hotel rooms doors tend to slam ... so every time a door opens and closes in your hallway you tend to here it. Also the mattresses aren't quite fantastic.

The hotel is RIGHT on I-94 but I've never had a problem with traffic noise. It also has a free shuttle to a local Metra stop. There isn't much walkable in the area around the hotel (a drug store and an Embassy Suites) however there are a few decent restaurants within a very short drive.

Overall this is a well run decent suburban hotel. It's not "weekend getaway" material, but if you've got work to do in the N. Chicago suburbs, then this is a good bet.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:47 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
The hotel design is the same as the Hyatt Lisle -- all "mini-suites".
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:48 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Thank you for your review
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA CK/EXP/1MM, UA Conscientious Objector, Hyatt CC, SPG Plat, HH Diamond VIP
Interestingly, this layout is identical to a number of HRs -- including the HR at IAD.

As for the property itself, I strongly recommend against the "pure" rooms -- they are hypo-allergenic, etc. but the filtration system they have is both noisy and pumps a strangely perfumed odor into the room. I think it is meant to be a form of aromatherapy -- but IMHO it is the equivalent of sleeping in one of those overpowering mall shops that sells bath supplies and candles.

As for the surrounding area, directly east of the hotel (by about 10 minutes) is one of the area's more well-regarded malls, Northbrook Court. This mall offers a multi-screen mega cinema, with countless upscale shops (including Nieman Marcus, Macy's, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Brooks Bros., Apple Store, etc.) and some decent restaurants, including Claim Company (Americana), di Pescara (Italian & Seafood), P.F. Changs (Chinese -- Try the Mongolian Beef), and a bunch more. The link to the mall is:

http://www.northbrookcourt.com/directory

There is decent F&B at the hotel, but if you do eat away from the hotel, there is a mini refrigerator in the room.

Hope this is helpful.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First
I've been staying at this property for the past few weeks. I agree with the OP and the post above that the lobby is pretty good, F&B is decent and the bartender runs a tight ship.

I also agree that the mattresses are below average and the noise from doors slamming is a common occurrence. In fact, if you’re a light sleeper, there other noises that would wake you up, such as the mini fridge or the sound of rain hitting the “extra wide” window frames on the 2nd floor.

This is an older property that they tried to modernize with minimal effort. The rooms are spacious but the furniture is below average and so is the bathroom. TV sets are old, although I was told that they’re getting flat panels at the end of April. I was also surprised by the “shabby” look of the hallways and elevators. Carpets in the hallways need replacement as well as room doors. Almost every room door is chipped or badly scratched from the outside, wallpaper is old, and there are little lights above each room door – probably used to be a “do not disturb” light that no longer works.

The gym is relatively well equipped with 3 treadmills and 3 ellipticals, free weights and 5 weight machines and there’s an indoor lap pool.

“Almost” all of the front desk attendants were qualified. One particular person is definitely incompetent and I’m not sure how he landed the job.

I love the Hyatt chain and Gold Passport, otherwise I would definitely be staying at the Westin few miles down the road.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Stayed here last Sunday for one night. I was upgraded to a larger suite like settings room with seperate seating area and a desk with a touch screen lcd computer. The bed was comfortable though the furniture is a little old. We had a glitch with the door lock that was out of battery; so we could not lock the door at all. We reported to the front desk, but the guy did not care to check on it and I did not have them fixed it until we returned at night.

They have a nice indoor pool, hot tub and a good fitness room. The gift shop is a joke. Restaurant offers full breakfast. I was told by the front desk that our room rate includes breakfasts and they would take care of the charge. However, I still saw a $65 charge on the e-folio the next day on my GP acct. I called the accounting manager and told him I was not only booking a room rate with free breakfasts, I was also a Diamond, so that there was no way they should charge me for breakfasts. He agreed and promised that he would issue a refund to my credit card. I am still waiting for the credit to be posted on my CC.

While I should get internet for free, I was never able to connect on wifi when I was in the room. I asked the FD for an ethernet cable; but was told they do not offer wired connection any more. They did not attempt to fix the wifi at all.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:54 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally posted by Converse34 in another thread:

Hyatt Deerfield
Stay - 1 night
Property Rating in the Chicago Suburbs - #5
Would not stay again

This property is located just off of I-294. We arrived late around 11.30 and were quickly checked in. We had a somewhat upgraded room that was located inter connecting with the presidential suite. The room itself was just very tired. The furniture was big and bulky, the TV was at least 15 years old and although it was "great" that you could swivel it from the living room to the bedroom, two were really required. There was nothing impressive with this room and it certainly wasn't worth the leisure rate of $150 that was paid. I would expect this at a super 8, not at a Hyatt.

Breakfast was included for Diamonds and this was probably the only thing that was average about the hotel. There was a business center but they wanted to charge $5.95 for 15 mins on the internet. Outrageous, they really need to get with the times.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:05 am

Does anyone know how much a taxi between ORD and the Hyatt Deerfield will cost? I looked up public transit directions but later in the evening the Metra doesn't run that frequently from Montrose/Mayfair.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GM/Hyatt Diamond/SPG Gold/HI Plat/HHonor Gold/Delta GM
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Does anyone know how much a taxi between ORD and the Hyatt Deerfield will cost? I looked up public transit directions but later in the evening the Metra doesn't run that frequently from Montrose/Mayfair.
You can call 303 Taxi to pick you up. Their rate on internet is $33 from ORD to Deerfield. It is more expensive if you just hire a cab from the airport.

http://www.303taxi.com/rates.aspx
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ORDLEO
You can call 303 Taxi to pick you up. Their rate on internet is $33 from ORD to Deerfield. It is more expensive if you just hire a cab from the airport.

http://www.303taxi.com/rates.aspx
Excellent, thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold, Avis First
This is my third stay here at Hyatt Deerfield. Each stay has been for a week. So here are some quick updates on current state of this hotel
- Roads in the parking lot always seem to have pool of water. It does not matter if it rained or not. You need to tread carefully.
- No flat panel TVs yet
- In one of the stays, all the 3 elevators broke down for significant amount of time. Had to take service elevators to reach to my floor
- In my recent stay, the room service food served a nice combination of salad and a dead 'insect'.

I agree with other posts about all the other less-impressive things they shared about this hotel.

Staff generally is pretty good.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
I recently stayed at this hotel and concur with some of the earlier posts. Not bad, but certainly not great. The old-school TV really bugs me. Every HP in the country has a huge LCD, yet a HR doesn't? Makes no sense.

When I was checking in I went to the Diamond line and the rep completely ignored me and checked in the next person in line. What is the purpose of having the glass sign if they're not going to use it? I was too tired to care when she finally got around to me, so I didn't say anything.

Other than the TV the room was OK. A bit dated, but not too bad. The shower had a nice new showerhead which I liked.

I did not checkout the pool facility, but there is one here.

Breakfast was a very nice buffet and we really enjoyed it.

Overall I was unimpressed with it, but would stay again just b/c it's the only Hyatt in the area. It wasn't "bad", just not as nice as many other Hyatts I've stayed at.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
No Comment!

Recently in the news: http://thesmokinggun.com/documents/r...-cross-dresser

[Edit: Also discussed http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...deerfield.html - please keep the discussion on this subject over there since it is a subject that is likely to get a lot of responses and while the event itself is appropriately part of the REVIEW THREAD - all the associated discussion with cause this thread to balloon out of control and likely to require deletion to clean up the review thread later on. Thank you!!! peteropny - comoderator - Hyatt]

Last edited by peteropny; Oct 8, 2010 at 9:26 am Reason: Refer to another thread
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:01 pm

This hotel treats diamonds horribly, no room upgrades, my bonus points didn't even post.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:16 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by watchmyfly
This hotel treats diamonds horribly, no room upgrades, my bonus points didn't even post.
Would you please PM me your account number and the dates you stayed with us? I will be happy to make sure everything has posted to your account from this stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.