Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House Austin Arboretum REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

This was my first stay at a Summerfield Suites, so I'm not sure if the Austin Arboretum property is typical. We were given a 2 double studio suite, which was somewhat similar to a Hyatt Place room in size, with the exception that there was a small kitchen in the area where Hyatt Place has a desk and mini-fridge/wetbar. I was impressed with how well equipped the little kitchen was. It had a 2 burner stove, dishwasher, microwave, apt-size refrigerator, sink, toaster, coffee maker, but no oven. The cabinets were fully stocked with pots and cooking utensils, dishes, glasses, and silverware. They also offer a grocery shoppping service if you need that. The living area had the L-shaped sofa like HP and a TV that swivels to view from either the sofa or the beds. The bathroom was small, but clean. I found the separate dressing area with an additional sink and full-length mirror nice. The beds were comfortable and the window shades let us sleep later than we realized.

The complimentary buffet breakfast included eggs, French toast, sausage, fresh fruit and juice, bagels, cereals and such. I liked the fact that it included hot items complimentary, but was disappointed with the presentation, using disposable plates, glasses and utensils. For the price, it provided a good value.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I just had a very similar experience at this property. It was my first at a Summerfield Suites. I was impressed with the room, particularly how well-equipped the kitchen is. I was only here for a night, but I can see how people would get a lot of value from this room on a more extended stay.

Otherwise, the room was very similar to Hyatt Place, as the OP said. If you like HPs, you should like this just fine. Same general layout with ample, well-designed space and a comfortable bed.

There was a calendar on the desk with details of the hot items that are served each weeknight (Mon-Thurs) at the cocktail hour. Though I didn't partake, the item list and variety was impressive for a free evening spread.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I concur - this is a good little hotel, clean and neat and as convenient as you are likely to get in AUS (land of roads so disjointed and poorly-thought-out that you WILL spend 25% more time traveling that you planned).
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC, SK *G, Hyatt GP Courtesy Card
Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I figured I would put down my thoughts about this property as well.

Im currently in AUS for business and staying for a couple of weeks at this SS.

the cocktail hour is so-so, somewhat OK food but it is repeated week after week. Lots of noisy people sometimes.

The hotel seems to have a deal with the army as there is usually 20-50 military men around in uniforms. Not that I complain

The rooms are OK, although the window shades does make you sleep longer than expected.

Basically a down to earth SS, nothing special about it, but they have some really friendly staff which is a big plus. Seems to be sold out a couple of times every 2 weeks, as Ive seen people be turned away / walked to the HP a few blocks away due to overbooking.

Ill probably use this property again, the value on a extended stay gets really good.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Just stayed for one night after StarMegaDo II, and thought it was far nicer than the only other SS we've stayed in (Scottsdale). Nicely equipped kitchen, comfortable room reminiscent of a HP. Friendly staff -- almost walked us, and the HP was full too, and we needed the Hyatt night for the Great 10K, so we begged her not to walk us, and she said she'd have to walk someone later but could find a room for us.

Hot breakfast was OK -- didn't partake of the evening social hour. (Arrived too late.)

GPS had a little trouble finding the exact location.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Hyatt House Austin (Arboretum) - Master Thread?

There are two hyatt properties within spitting distance from each other - a Hyatt Place (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html) and Hyatt House. I was unable to find a "master thread" for this property.

This is for:
Hyatt House Austin/Arboretum
10001 N. Capital of Texas Highway
Austin, TX 78759, US

==================

Stayed here last night on the eve of SXSW.

The people at the facility were really nice at both checkin and the morning festivities. The actual room itself is the worst hyatt room I've stayed in. Frayed curtains, broken toilet, old furnishings, popcorn ceilings, in general its pretty tired and shows its Amerisuites lineage. Its at least one or two step downs from most other hyatt houses Ive stayed at. Actually the Hyatt in College Station was better, which I thought was the prior worst Ive ever stayed at.

Checkin is pretty weird since this place is set up more like a small apartment complex. The main entrance to checkin/Building A? is a little hard to find given all the painted stuff and signs around the property saying "checkin this way." When you get to checkin, theres a nice set of stairs to climb with your luggage, as the other side of the building is where the wheelchair ramp appears to be.

When I got to my room the toilet was running and wouldn't flush. To be fair, when I called down the front desk said they would have another room ready within 15 mins for me to move into. Since I was tired and had time to spare I fiddled with the toilet and got it to start working somewhat again, but later in the evening it broke again. I mentioned it at checkout and they were going to look at it. This type of stuff has happened at PHs I have stayed at, so it kinda goes with the territory.

Room a standard cooktop, microwave, fridge, dishwasher, large closet, etc. Fridge was pretty new and the other appliances appeared to be refreshed since this place was original built. Everything else was really really "vintage." They did some work over time to brighten it up - new switch covers, some overhead lights I recognize from home depot, etc but it was really too little. It needs an overhaul.

I won't be staying here ever again. The very nice staff didn't make up for the room.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern
There are two hyatt properties within spitting distance from each other - a Hyatt Place (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html) and Hyatt House. I was unable to find a "master thread" for this property.

This is for:
Hyatt House Austin/Arboretum
10001 N. Capital of Texas Highway
Austin, TX 78759, US

==================

Stayed here last night on the eve of SXSW.

The people at the facility were really nice at both checkin and the morning festivities. The actual room itself is the worst hyatt room I've stayed in. Frayed curtains, broken toilet, old furnishings, popcorn ceilings, in general its pretty tired and shows its Amerisuites lineage. Its at least one or two step downs from most other hyatt houses Ive stayed at. Actually the Hyatt in College Station was better, which I thought was the prior worst Ive ever stayed at.

Checkin is pretty weird since this place is set up more like a small apartment complex. The main entrance to checkin/Building A? is a little hard to find given all the painted stuff and signs around the property saying "checkin this way." When you get to checkin, theres a nice set of stairs to climb with your luggage, as the other side of the building is where the wheelchair ramp appears to be.

When I got to my room the toilet was running and wouldn't flush. To be fair, when I called down the front desk said they would have another room ready within 15 mins for me to move into. Since I was tired and had time to spare I fiddled with the toilet and got it to start working somewhat again, but later in the evening it broke again. I mentioned it at checkout and they were going to look at it. This type of stuff has happened at PHs I have stayed at, so it kinda goes with the territory.

Room a standard cooktop, microwave, fridge, dishwasher, large closet, etc. Fridge was pretty new and the other appliances appeared to be refreshed since this place was original built. Everything else was really really "vintage." They did some work over time to brighten it up - new switch covers, some overhead lights I recognize from home depot, etc but it was really too little. It needs an overhaul.

I won't be staying here ever again. The very nice staff didn't make up for the room.
I have stayed here few times. (last visit couple weeks ago).
They put me in a "refurbished" room.. (I think building 2).
The room was way cleaner than what you described. I have a feeling you were placed in one of the older rooms.
My building was literally being painted as I stayed there. So you could smell the paint everywhere. The blinds and things like that were "new".
But the toilet, sink, seemed old.

Shower was a stall-like thing..no tub. (which is what I prefer).

I think this place will become better very soon. (pretty sure that will lead to higher prices)

As you noted, the people are really nice!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Just completed a 4 night stay at this property. Shared a two bedroom suite which actually was a two bedroom suite (as opposed to a one bedroom with a connecting door) in the "C" building. I recommend the C building as it has a smaller footprint and is not as busy- But it is furthest away from the main building with the front desk and breakfast room/bar if that is important to you.

Room was more than adequate for our needs (if a bit small) and everything was in good condition. This is a renovated Summerfield suites property. Our suite was on the third floor. There is an elevator. Parking was plentiful and convenient.

Location is really great IF you are not looking to do business in or stay/play in Downtown Austin. Traffic into and out of central Austin can be very bad- even on weekends. There are a lot of dining and shopping options nearby. Area is very safe and well lit with good roads.

Breakfast is good. Pretty typical for this brand. A few items were rotated during out stay. Omelette Bar is open during the week.

The staff members we interacted with were all really great and guest friendly. I was really impressed with the enthusiasm of every single staff member we encountered.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Jan 31, 2017 at 6:28 am
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Any recent stays at this HH? Wondering what's being offered especially on weekends.

David
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Any recent stays at this HH? Wondering what's being offered especially on weekends.

David
Are you talking about breakfast? Very poor offerings right now: box oatmeal, box oj, box fruit. That's it. Low mask compliance which I guess is on par for texas. The low rate is attracting some undesirable groups. I left after one night.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Are you talking about breakfast? Very poor offerings right now: box oatmeal, box oj, box fruit. That's it. Low mask compliance which I guess is on par for texas. The low rate is attracting some undesirable groups. I left after one night.
Yes regarding breakfast, since that would be a differentiator. Much appreciated for your feedback.

David
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:13 pm

This hotel is leaving Hyatt March 31,2023. A friend just got an email saying their cash booking for next weekend is going to be cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.