Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scoring a Deal on a Late Night Arrival?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Scoring a Deal on a Late Night Arrival?

My situation pertains specifically to an HI Express but the question can apply to any hotel chain.

If you have a reservation for a hotel for a couple days but may be arriving late evening the previous night or early morning on the day of check in, has anyone had any luck calling a hotel directly and asking for a deal to check in early?

My situation is one where I may arrive around midnight or later and don't want to pay the full rate for 5-6 hours of use. At the same time, I can't really use PL or Hotwire because I'd like to avoid the hassle of transferring to a new property.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
In the past, I've had hotels cancel the first night of my reservation and just allow me to check in at 1-2am. I was charged for say 4 nights instead of 5 nights. I wouldn't count on it happening though.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
If you have elite status with that hotel chain and/or are staying multiple days with a cancelable reservation, MAYBE they would allow it. But even then, I'm talking about checking in at 6-8 AM (which I've done several times). Unlike halothane I've never had a hotel offer to give me the first night free on a late night check-in (midnight - 2 AM), and I've never had the nerve to ask for it. I don't see why they would do so if you reserved with a credit card...you've already paid. I would add that it's not really 5-6 hours if you're talking about arriving at midnight (it's more like 11 hours).

I also haven't had much luck negotiating rates directly with hotels in person (without a reservation), even late at night when they are at high risk of an empty room. I guess they figure that if you are there, they have negotiating leverage not you. And sometimes the clerk doesn't have the authority to negotiate. But I'm curious to know whether others have had any luck.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

That definately makes sense and I may just wait until 6-8 AM and try to check in then. My reservation is for 3 nights but I know I'll be arriivng around midnight and leaving for the day at around 6:00 AM so that's why I didn't want to pay full rate. We can all dream.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
That definately makes sense and I may just wait until 6-8 AM and try to check in then. My reservation is for 3 nights but I know I'll be arriivng around midnight and leaving for the day at around 6:00 AM so that's why I didn't want to pay full rate. We can all dream.
Then just hotwire the hotel, and use one of the sites that tell you which hotel it will be.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:04 pm

Before the economic down turn many of the 4-5 star international hotels that accommodated over seas travelers would let you check in any time day or night and a one night stay was any 24 hour period. One high end chain promoted this in advertisements.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 5:32 am

Interesting that this post is here. I just called the Bali Grand Hyatt to ask about a 5am checkin due to a strange flight I have and they said no problem, They noted my file and now I can check in with no fee for early..
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by someday
Interesting that this post is here. I just called the Bali Grand Hyatt to ask about a 5am checkin due to a strange flight I have and they said no problem, They noted my file and now I can check in with no fee for early..
I too, have had many business trips where I would arrive at the hotel early morning (7-10am), and I would ask them if I can check in or at least drop off my luggage. I have not been refused. However, this had been in America, and generally only in 3* hotels.

It won't hurt to call them in advance to ask (nicely!) about this.

However, I agree that you are pushing your luck if you want to arrive 12:01am the day of your reservation. (That is effectively getting 1 night free).
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:58 am

I have also done early check in (7-10AM) extensively in the US, Europe, and Asia with 3*+ hotels without fails when rooms are available as a peon with all the major hotel chains.

Midnight would be a different story.

regards,
drew
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i was in nikko ginza, at 1030-1100 on the day of checkin. guess waht? i can leave my luggage, but no room.... (not too bad, as i know the rules) but i was a bit bewildened when they didnt bring my luggage to my room my room was ready! :P
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to provide an update for those interested.

My initial plans involved taking the 4:00 PM Acela from DC to Boston, arriving at 10:42 PM. I was planning to meet friends in Boston around 7:00 AM.

I was curious to see if the hotels in Providence, RI were any cheaper than Back Bay, Boston since Providence is the stop before Boston.

I was able to Priceline the Renaissance Hotel-Providence for $67 tax included which seems like a good deal for the class of hotel. Best of all, it's within walking distance of the train station.

It's a Marriott property and seems to have received decent reviews.
I'm actually excited about spending some time in RI since I didn't really really plan on it and will have a chance to do some brief sightseeing.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:28 am

Hello

I live in PVD, have never stayed at the Renaissance, but many of my
boss clients stay at the Courtyard which is close to the Renaissance.
The price will definetely be cheaper in PVD vs BOS, everything is less
here, you will be close to the Providence Mall, at least you can shop
in the morning before you catch the MBTA to South Station(BOS).

Enjoy both city why not

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Just wanted to provide an update for those interested.

My initial plans involved taking the 4:00 PM Acela from DC to Boston, arriving at 10:42 PM. I was planning to meet friends in Boston around 7:00 AM.

I was curious to see if the hotels in Providence, RI were any cheaper than Back Bay, Boston since Providence is the stop before Boston.

I was able to Priceline the Renaissance Hotel-Providence for $67 tax included which seems like a good deal for the class of hotel. Best of all, it's within walking distance of the train station.

It's a Marriott property and seems to have received decent reviews.
I'm actually excited about spending some time in RI since I didn't really really plan on it and will have a chance to do some brief sightseeing.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, PC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I routinely check in at 8-9 AM or so in the IC hotel group (HIX, IC, etc)
Many times this has essentially given me an "extra day" on my vacations.
I have about a 90% success rate on this.
On the rare ocassion that they are completely booked, the hotels have ALWAYS offered to take my bags for me and I just go find something to do for a couple hours...

I do have 2 things going for me, 1-elite member, and 2 - paying normal rates.
I wonder if they may look at a priceline/deeply discounted rate differently.

YMMV
Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
FWIW, I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Bangor, ME, got in at ~ 2:00am, and the front desk person said, "I'll just give you the day rate". I: "?"
He said, "Everybody has them..." I was whipped, so I didn't ask who "everybody" meant, but I inferred it's a lot broader than I ever imagined. I mean, I think of day rate as a special thing around truly international airports.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
What's so "strange" about your flight?

Originally Posted by someday
(a 5am checkin) due to a strange flight I have ..

Last edited by BIMMERKID2; Oct 14, 2009 at 1:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.