Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Crowne Plaza Venice East Quarto D Altino 1€

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
it made the BBC headlines, they can't rightly refuse it now

Feels odd however, only 230 people? Was FT the only place people acted on the posting?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, has anyone here been to Treviso? Or have any other suggestions in the general area? I'm there four days and I've been to VCE before and I don't really like it, so would be keen to find out about the alternatives!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I had dinner in Treviso years ago (1980s), so only rode through there at night. I definitely plan to spend a couple days there. Maybe Padua & Verona too.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

coverage Palm BeachWPBF news tonight

Oh my godness. I am in PBI on a family emergency with my mom and just now the local news is doing a story on the 1 cent room.They said the hotel is honoring their mistake. Right from the mouth of the ABC WPBF news anchor....yeah....
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don't believe article says through the END of 2010. If it was bookable in January, then it's bookable through 2010.

I don't know any hotel that allows online booking more than 12 months in advance.
It was bookable through July 31, 2010. I know. I'm the second post in this thread and went through most every date there was from last Sunday until then before I posted the link to book it from the OP's somewhat vague description of the deal.

There will be no way of them getting out of this deal based on their actions already. Stand pat with your reservations. I did the same in 2002 with the W Hotel Times Square $25 misloaded rate and even after Starwood tried to get us to accept a higher rate, we got our $25 rooms. In my case, I had 14 rooms - for my friends and I - booked over Memorial Day weekend 2002 for 4 nights each and all were honored.

IHG isn't Marriott who would squirm out of this deal, as they did with the Residence Inn NYC $25 rate in 2006.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

I apologize for the vauge info but I was trying to post it fast since I was running out. My mom suffered a cardiac arrest and I have been busy flying out here and trying to let everyone know about this special. Again I apologize
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
OMG. No apologies necessary. I think of us as a team here... and CalItalian as the star quarterback. Invaluable.

Best health wishes to your mother, catstvl.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the wishes. We had to make the decision today to take her off life support. Never had a family emergency of this size. Please everyone make your wishes known. Mom didnt so we had to do it for her.Tomorrow we go to hospice care. On a lighter note I can not believe this made the Palm Beach local news and all the other news papers around the world.I will enjoy my stays. Time to book my flights.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:36 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by graraps
By the way, has anyone here been to Treviso? Or have any other suggestions in the general area? I'm there four days and I've been to VCE before and I don't really like it, so would be keen to find out about the alternatives!

West side of Croatia or south side of Slovenia are not far away from the hotel. In slovenia, they have nice caves and one the them is the world heritage site.

Those areas could be one of the options to travel if you have never been there.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:33 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by graraps
It's an easy drive north to the Dolomites, which are spectacularly beautiful. Also, there are wonderful Palladian mansions to the west. It's a great base for day trips by car.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 1:53 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Well, this deal seems to have come good surprisingly quickly.
An amazing amount of press !

I went ahead and booked a busiiness class award.
DL with their mid-tier madness wanted 150K,
so I went with UA at 105K.

Regarding side-trips, I would also endorse
that trip to the cave in Slovenia.
I did it out of Trieste as a day trip,
might be a bit far from our budget CP.

Thanks to OP and all other contributors. ^

Last edited by MrHalliday; Aug 16, 2009 at 1:54 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by Steph3n
it made the BBC headlines, they can't rightly refuse it now

Feels odd however, only 230 people? Was FT the only place people acted on the posting?
According to a media in Japan, they received bookings of 1,400 nights at this mistaken rate. The report also says the hotel's loss would be approximately 90,000 euros. It's amazing how a small mistake ends up with such a huge loss.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by kats
According to a media in Japan, they received bookings of 1,400 nights at this mistaken rate. The report also says the hotel's loss would be approximately 90,000 euros. It's amazing how a small mistake ends up with such a huge loss.
It won't really cost them that

(1) many of the nights won't be consumed [they ought to say they'll honor but with a $200 cancel fee if you don't cancel within the next week and then no-show]

(2) the hotel won't be sold out on most nights these rooms are consumed. which means they won't trade off with paid bookings that would have been made, no lost revenue

(3) so the only 'cost' to the hotel is incremental service, let's say it's $20 per room night actually consumed. And let's guess that fewer than half the room nights are actually consumed... (I bet it is no more than 20% tops). Ultimate true COST here will be less than $10k I bet, even if 30% of the room nights are ultimately used.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CalItalian
... even after Starwood tried to get us to accept a higher rate, we got our $25 rooms. ...
Starwood are horrible. There was recently an "error" rate for the Sheraton Grand Lagune in Phuket. I guess it was 49 $ instead of 149 $ per night. The did not honor the rate. Simply cancelled all the reservations.

ICH ^
Starwood

ICH, I will bring you some additional hotel bookings because you are going to honor the Venice rates. Starwood, no more bookings for you for the rest of the year (besides my free nights).
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:54 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by kats
Sounds like they got a hold of the AP story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.