Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] $21 Wingate mistake - will they honor it?

[EXPIRED] $21 Wingate mistake - will they honor it?

Old Jul 23, 09, 3:05 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
[EXPIRED] $21 Wingate mistake - will they honor it?

Two days ago I've booked one night (09/14) in Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown in special price $21. I've made it by booking.com.
It was only this one special day, in others price was much higher. Next day I got a message from hotel, that it was system error and my deal is cancelled, the right rate is 219$. I answered, that I have a confirmation, my booking is completed and guaranteed. Until now, I don't have a reply from the hotel. What should I do?
opcio is offline  
Old Jul 23, 09, 3:49 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 60137
Posts: 10,330
Re-read the fine print sites T/C's. Anything there about voiding the reservation due to typos?
sonofzeus is offline  
Old Jul 23, 09, 11:03 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
In my reservation there is no info about voiding and it's still active on booking.com site.
Part of T/C's of booking.com:
"6. Cancellation

By making a reservation with a hotel, you accept and agree to the relevant cancellation and no-show policy of that hotel, and to any additional (delivery) terms and conditions of the hotel that may apply to your reservation or during your stay, including for services rendered and/or products offered by the hotel (the delivery terms and conditions of a hotel can be obtained with the relevant hotel). The general cancellation and no-show policy of each hotel is made available on our website at the hotel information pages, during the reservation procedure and in the confirmation email. Please note that certain rates or special offers are not eligible for cancellation or change. Please check the room details thoroughly for any such conditions prior to making your reservation.

If you wish to review, adjust or cancel your reservation, please revert to the confirmation email and follow the instructions therein. Please note that you may be charged for your cancellation in accordance with the hotelís cancellation and no-show policy. We recommend that you read the cancellation and no-show policy of the hotel carefully prior to making your reservation."
"8. Disclaimer

Subject to the limitations set out in these terms and conditions, we shall only be liable for direct damages actually suffered, paid or incurred by you due to an attributable shortcoming of our obligations in respect of our services, up to an aggregate amount of the aggregate cost of your reservation as set out in the confirmation email (whether for one event or series of connected events).

However, neither we nor any of our affiliated companies shall be liable for (i) any punitive, special, indirect or consequential loss or damages, any loss of production, loss of profit, loss of revenue, loss of contract, loss of or damage to goodwill or reputation, loss of claim, (ii) any inaccuracy relating to the (descriptive) information (including rates, availability and ratings) of the hotel as made available on our website, (iii) the services rendered or the products offered by the hotel, (iv) any (direct, indirect, consequential or punitive) damages, losses or costs suffered, incurred or paid by you, pursuant to, arising out of or in connection with the use, inability to use or delay of our website, or (v) for any (personal) injury, death, property damage, or other (direct, indirect, special, consequential or punitive) damages, losses or costs suffered, incurred or paid by you, whether due to (legal) acts, errors, breaches, (gross) negligence, willful misconduct, omissions, non-performance, misrepresentations, tort or strict liability by or (wholly or partly) attributable to the hotel (its employees, directors, officers, agents, representatives or affiliated companies), including any (partial) cancellation, overbooking, strike, force majeure or any other event beyond our control."

What do you think?
opcio is offline  
Old Jul 23, 09, 3:00 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
Booking.com have just recorded on my voicemail. They said, that it's a mistake and hotel will not honor my previously booked price. I can call and confirm new price or book something else.
My booking.com reservation page is not cancelled and old 21$ is still there.
What do you think?
I've found similar story (not in result):
Mistake rate story
opcio is offline  
Old Jul 23, 09, 3:51 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 60137
Posts: 10,330
Originally Posted by opcio View Post
Booking.com have just recorded on my voicemail. They said, that it's a mistake and hotel will not honor my previously booked price. I can call and confirm new price or book something else.
My booking.com reservation page is not cancelled and old 21$ is still there.
What do you think?
I'd make other arrangements.
sonofzeus is offline  
Old Jul 23, 09, 4:12 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Posts: 1,021
Send an email to that travel guy that does the columns in travel section at www.cnn.com. I think you are SOL, however.
greg0ire is offline  
Old Jul 25, 09, 4:35 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
I wrote to CNN/travel, until now nobody answered. Maybe I should write to somebody else? Who? NYC newspaper? Which?
In my opinion, my reservation is a legal contract, isn't it?
Why hotel can (?) break it off in so easy way?
opcio is offline  
Old Jul 25, 09, 8:35 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,339
Originally Posted by opcio View Post
In my reservation there is no info about voiding and it's still active on booking.com site.
Part of T/C's of booking.com:
"6. Cancellation

By making a reservation with a hotel, you accept and agree to the relevant cancellation and no-show policy of that hotel, and to any additional (delivery) terms and conditions of the hotel that may apply to your reservation or during your stay, including for services rendered and/or products offered by the hotel (the delivery terms and conditions of a hotel can be obtained with the relevant hotel). The general cancellation and no-show policy of each hotel is made available on our website at the hotel information pages, during the reservation procedure and in the confirmation email. Please note that certain rates or special offers are not eligible for cancellation or change. Please check the room details thoroughly for any such conditions prior to making your reservation.

If you wish to review, adjust or cancel your reservation, please revert to the confirmation email and follow the instructions therein. Please note that you may be charged for your cancellation in accordance with the hotelís cancellation and no-show policy. We recommend that you read the cancellation and no-show policy of the hotel carefully prior to making your reservation."
"8. Disclaimer

Subject to the limitations set out in these terms and conditions, we shall only be liable for direct damages actually suffered, paid or incurred by you due to an attributable shortcoming of our obligations in respect of our services, up to an aggregate amount of the aggregate cost of your reservation as set out in the confirmation email (whether for one event or series of connected events).

However, neither we nor any of our affiliated companies shall be liable for (i) any punitive, special, indirect or consequential loss or damages, any loss of production, loss of profit, loss of revenue, loss of contract, loss of or damage to goodwill or reputation, loss of claim, (ii) any inaccuracy relating to the (descriptive) information (including rates, availability and ratings) of the hotel as made available on our website, (iii) the services rendered or the products offered by the hotel, (iv) any (direct, indirect, consequential or punitive) damages, losses or costs suffered, incurred or paid by you, pursuant to, arising out of or in connection with the use, inability to use or delay of our website, or (v) for any (personal) injury, death, property damage, or other (direct, indirect, special, consequential or punitive) damages, losses or costs suffered, incurred or paid by you, whether due to (legal) acts, errors, breaches, (gross) negligence, willful misconduct, omissions, non-performance, misrepresentations, tort or strict liability by or (wholly or partly) attributable to the hotel (its employees, directors, officers, agents, representatives or affiliated companies), including any (partial) cancellation, overbooking, strike, force majeure or any other event beyond our control."

What do you think?

8. Disclaimer

However, neither we nor any of our affiliated companies shall be liable for (i) any punitive, special, indirect or consequential loss or damages, any loss of production, loss of profit, loss of revenue, loss of contract, loss of or damage to goodwill or reputation, loss of claim, (ii) any inaccuracy relating to the (descriptive) information (including rates, availability and ratings) of the hotel as made available on our website,
newfbc is offline  
Old Jul 25, 09, 9:44 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Posts: 3,954
Ah, the catch-22 of a mistake rate.

You'll have some on FT who believe there's a higher chance of a mistake rate honored if only a few people take advantage of it. The thought behind that is the agency/property isn't going to lose much over a small handful of error rates and would rather be viewed as a nice guy.

On the other hand, you have FT'ers that will say the best approach is to try to get a critical mass of bookings, so that any attempt by the agency/property will draw such a huge ire and negative publicity that it will force their hands to honor the rate.

Funny thing is, both ways have been known to work (and not work).

I can't comment on the likelihood of you getting it honored, but from my previous experiences, it would help if you contact the agency in question (not w/ the agents, but with a senior VP) and submit proof that you made transportation arrangements/reservations that are non-refundable based upon their word. Track down the address, email and physical and send via email and certified letter.

In my experience, a larger outfit (Travelocity, Orbitz, or Expedia) has been more willing to eat such a cost than a smaller agency (I presume the smaller agency will be more impacted on their bottom line).

I'll also add that a pre-paid rate stands a higher chance of getting honored, since technically a transaction already took place (i.e. your credit card was charged). If it is only a reservation, then it's harder to hold on to a claim since no money actually changed hands, just a commitment to pay an agreed upon rate. But unlike airfare bookings, hotel reservations can be cancelled without penalty by the buyer normally (at least 24 - 72 hrs in advance).

At any rate, good luck.

Oh, next time, try the critical mass approach and let people on FT know... maybe a different outcome next time
luv2ctheworld is offline  
Old Jul 26, 09, 4:12 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
8. Disclaimer

However, neither we nor any of our affiliated companies shall be liable for (i) any punitive, special, indirect or consequential loss or damages, any loss of production, loss of profit, loss of revenue, loss of contract, loss of or damage to goodwill or reputation, loss of claim, (ii) any inaccuracy relating to the (descriptive) information (including rates, availability and ratings) of the hotel as made available on our website,
I established that the 21$ rate was caused by man from hotel, not from booking.com site.

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld View Post
Oh, next time, try the critical mass approach and let people on FT know... maybe a different outcome next time
Well, this rate disappeared in 5 minutes after my booking time. It was no chance to let know on FT. Here is result (printscreen, polish language), before and after:
Booking.com printscreen

Now, I'm trying to press on the hotel by booking.com. If it won't help, I'll address directly to the hotel.

One more, do you know that I'm flying to the USA on mistake rate .
I've found on the web this rate:
FT KRK-DUB mistake rate
and let as first to know on polish forum (before FT):
Polish forum

So, I'm the "mistake rate" guy
opcio is offline  
Old Jul 26, 09, 5:33 am
  #11  
Tak
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Posts: 1,231
Originally Posted by opcio View Post
One more, do you know that I'm flying to the USA on mistake rate .
I've found on the web this rate:
FT KRK-DUB mistake rate
and let as first to know on polish forum (before FT):
Polish forum

So, I'm the "mistake rate" guy
Usually, airlines honor their mistake rate more often.
For Hotels, maybe 50/50 depends on the booking agency/hotel chains/risk of loss.

But you want to take advantage of two mistakes in one trip?
Someone might say you are lucky, however, I guess you may have to pay back in the future.
So if I were you, I do not push too much.
Tak is offline  
Old Jul 26, 09, 7:06 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 60137
Posts: 10,330
Originally Posted by opcio View Post
Why hotel can (?) break it off in so easy way?
People who earn $40 per hour or more won't sweat the lost savings.
sonofzeus is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 1:09 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Platinum, US Silver, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by opcio View Post
I established that the 21$ rate was caused by man from hotel, not from booking.com site.
It does not matter who entered the wrong rate. You're fighting a losing battle.
RonGinDC is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 10:43 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SEA
Posts: 2,450
Originally Posted by RonGinDC View Post
It does not matter who entered the wrong rate. You're fighting a losing battle.
I too think it is likely a lost battle. But beyond that, is it really something worth spending so much time on - and subjecting yourself to so much stress over? The old Polish saying "Czekaj tatka latka"" tells us that we can wait for years for something - but in vain.
muji is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 11:23 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: STL
Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,963
Originally Posted by RonGinDC View Post
It does not matter who entered the wrong rate. You're fighting a losing battle.
Since OP's $21 reservation that he was fighting for was for last September 14, I'm guessing he has stopped fighting one way or the other.

Why dredge this old thread up to comment on it at this late juncture?
gemac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread