Search

(Expired) Expedia Refer-A-Friend promo

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2009, 10:22 am

Here's a 20 pound code if anyone needs it-

B4J0-86YY-8Z3K-XRT6
Old May 30, 2009, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by cruise603
If I use a US credit card to book at the UK Expedia site, will I be charged a 3% conversion fee ?
thanks all
Yes, for Visa and MasterCard that's the usual rate. And usually 2% for American Express.
Old May 31, 2009, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a heads up if you book multiple nights. Both your credit card and Expedia may think you're trying to do some sort of credit card fraud -- especially if you book for a friend or family member on your own credit card (even a "virtual numbers" card). The same principle applies to any time you make multiple transactions with the same merchant. In other words, take it easy and go slow when using this promo. You help yourself and others by not "abusing" it.
Old May 31, 2009, 5:39 pm

Thanks ,

Is this only for UK website
or can we use it in expedia.com as well ?
Old May 31, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by iahphx
Just a heads up if you book multiple nights. Both your credit card and Expedia may think you're trying to do some sort of credit card fraud -- especially if you book for a friend or family member on your own credit card (even a "virtual numbers" card). The same principle applies to any time you make multiple transactions with the same merchant. In other words, take it easy and go slow when using this promo. You help yourself and others by not "abusing" it.
My AMEX was declined as I attempted to pay for my second booking.

But it was also declined before as I attempted a Cairns booking after making a Townsville booking before it, both at Holiday Inn.... so I figured AMEX was a little weary... no such problems with my VISA yet.
Old May 31, 2009, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by sfrweb
Thanks ,

Is this only for UK website
or can we use it in expedia.com as well ?
AFAIK, it's for the UK site only. There is another promo for the French site as well, but none for the US site.
Old May 31, 2009, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerseyVics
My AMEX was declined as I attempted to pay for my second booking.

But it was also declined before as I attempted a Cairns booking after making a Townsville booking before it, both at Holiday Inn.... so I figured AMEX was a little weary... no such problems with my VISA yet.
If it gets declined, you can call your credit card company immediately. The fact that you're making an "unexpected" UK transaction could be enough to trigger a hold.

I've noticed that Citi has recently tightened their "fraud alert status" on new credit cards. It can be ridiculous -- getting off an airplane and buying gas was enough to get my card declined last week. I called them and they can "relax" the vigilence levels. They first asked where I would be travelling. As a good flyertalker, I responded "everywhere."
Old May 31, 2009, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Cross-border transactions in a different currency definitely can get you the "potential fraud" treatment from your credit-card company, even if it's just for a very small amount. Have found that before with bookings on Air Asia from the U.S. (to make things even more complicated, they price their flights in the currency of the country from which it departs, so you could have Air Asia charges in pesos, baht, ringgit, rupiah, etc.)

With the new automated systems where you're supposed to listen to recordings of your last 5 charges and hit 1 for yes or 2 for no they can do more of this without human intervention (even from India or the Philippines), which I think has led to increased vigilance.

Will also do my first trip using vouchers (20GBP ones, for Las Vegas) and hope not to have to do too much explaining to the hotels ("Why'd you book this on Expedia UK and pay in pounds if you live in the U.S.?"). My fake British accent still needs some work.

As always, PM me with e-mail address (can be a junk e-mail, though Expedia promises not to send spam) if you want your own GBP20 code. Am back in the saddle after a mostly relaxing weekend in FLL.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RustyC
Will also do my first trip using vouchers (20GBP ones, for Las Vegas) and hope not to have to do too much explaining to the hotels ("Why'd you book this on Expedia UK and pay in pounds if you live in the U.S.?"). My fake British accent still needs some work.
My hunch is it just says "Expedia" to the hotel -- they don't know if you booked US, UK, France, whatever -- but I'm not 100% certain about this. As an example, when we booked with the hotelclub (an Aussie company), the hotel just saw "Orbitz," their US parent company.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by iahphx
If it gets declined, you can call your credit card company immediately. The fact that you're making an "unexpected" UK transaction could be enough to trigger a hold.

I've noticed that Citi has recently tightened their "fraud alert status" on new credit cards. It can be ridiculous -- getting off an airplane and buying gas was enough to get my card declined last week. I called them and they can "relax" the vigilence levels. They first asked where I would be travelling. As a good flyertalker, I responded "everywhere."
I have called AMEX before, and even e-mailed them my travel plans to show where the purchases would be coming from (Australia and France, for example)

But it still seems to work selectively... i.e. I had no problem using the Amex card at the gift shop in New Zealand, but when I went across the street to the post office to mail the gifts that I purchased minutes ago, the card was declined...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
OK, I have now managed to trigger one voucher!

Be clear about this - the person who spends the £20 voucher MUST open a NEW Expedia account and MUST use the same e-mail address that was used to send the voucher. If the voucher is used by someone who has not opened a new Expedia account to make the transaction or who opens an account using a different e-mail address to the one that received the voucher, you will NOT get your £40.

It is also possible that it is necessary to book using the 'Book Now' link in the original e-mail in order to trigger the voucher, but I cannot confirm this part.

All of the posters who have posted £20 codes in this thread will NOT receive a £40 voucher themselves, even if the £20 code is used. Expedia seems to be triggering the vouchers based on matching up e-mail addresses rather than matching up used voucher codes.

Expedia has now changed the wording on the promo website (at least the English version) to make the e-mail address restriction clearer. Unfortunately, it is not clear to the person who receives the e-mail!
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Lutz
AFAIK, it's for the UK site only. There is another promo for the French site as well, but none for the US site.
Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
All of the posters who have posted £20 codes in this thread will NOT receive a £40 voucher themselves, even if the £20 code is used. Expedia seems to be triggering the vouchers based on matching up e-mail addresses rather than matching up used voucher codes.
Yeah, posting these codes in public will do you no good. You might make someone happy but you are not getting a voucher.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
as of today, expedia seems to charge a 10 euro/pound booking fee on prepaid hotel bookings. just noticed how prices went up by this amount. so check the competitors first!!
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by mith
as of today, expedia seems to charge a 10 euro/pound booking fee on prepaid hotel bookings. just noticed how prices went up by this amount. so check the competitors first!!
Really? The price looks the same as yesterday for me - though my search is limited to those in Vegas in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.