(Expired) Expedia Refer-A-Friend promo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Expired) Expedia Refer-A-Friend promo

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Haven't used it myself, but don't some of the larger credit card issuers have some service where you can generate single-use virtual card numbers? Would think that might be helpful, at least until they get this fixed.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: UA,BA,NW,EK
I would like to thank all of you that posted the 20GBP codes. I have used three of them saving myself a total 60GBP ($93USD) I have three credit cards and three email address so I guess I'm all done with it now. I'm just asking myself why I didn't refer myself for one of them. Then I would have another 40GBP to use wouldn't I?
Old May 27, 2009, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by britmike
I would like to thank all of you that posted the 20GBP codes. I have used three of them saving myself a total 60GBP ($93USD) I have three credit cards and three email address so I guess I'm all done with it now. I'm just asking myself why I didn't refer myself for one of them. Then I would have another 40GBP to use wouldn't I?
Assuming no glitches in the crediting (the 40GBP ones aren't instant by any stretch), it's technically possible, but if found out it's enough of a TOS violation that I'd think you'd run the risk of at least having existing reservations or codes cancelled. Sometimes in travel you can opt to ask forgiveness rather than permission (e.g. skipping the last segment of a RT flight if you have only carry-ons), but in this case my sixth sense says they won't/can't let it slide.

I don't know what level of security they use, but if you want to see an example of state-of-the-art there, eBay and PayPal are good examples. eBay aggressively uses cookies and IP addresses to link accounts (in case a suspended user tries to sign up a new account) and also to track shopping habits, and now Flash cookies are a possibility. I don't think Expedia is quite up to that level, but I'll bet there's awareness of the possibility and some kind of countermeasures. If there aren't and I'm wrong, then I think there's a much greater chance of the promo being "burned out" and abruptly pulled.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UPDATE: Am running into the same problems others have reported with more than one GBP40 vouchers. If you're logged into an account that has already redeemed one and you try to use a second, you get the "this voucher has already been used" error message even when it hasn't, and even though more than one redemption is supposed to be possible with this voucher type. Definitely looks like a bug.

Got same result on IE8, Firefox and Opera.

I tried redeeming the supposedly "used" voucher on another account, though, and that went through fine. The other account did have a different credit card associated with it, so I didn't get to test whether using the same CC on a different account would stall it out.

In a way that's a bug as well, as you'd think they'd restrict redeeming the GBP40 vouchers to the account they were sent to to prevent the possibility of any sales, barter, etc.

Until they fix the problem I suppose you could create more new accounts and, if need be, get virtual credit card numbers if the credit-card matching would trip it up. Seems like a labor-intensive work-around.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would also humbly suggest to the mods that thread title here, while accurate, doesn't convey to the unknowing passerby why it's really a hotel deal.

What about something punchier like "Expedia Refer-a-Friend promo (GBP20 off, no. min. purchase, usable also from U.S.)"

Just a thought.

Last edited by RustyC; May 28, 2009 at 11:18 pm
Old May 28, 2009, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RustyC
Would also humbly suggest to the mods that thread title here, while accurate, doesn't convey to the unknowing passerby why it's really a hotel deal.

What about something punchier like "Expedia Refer-a-Friend promo (GBP20 off, no. min. purchase, usable also from U.S.)"

Just a thought.
And you want it "punchier" because . . . ?

Trust me, this deal is already over-exposed.
Old May 29, 2009, 1:28 am

Programs: Most of them...
Originally Posted by iahphx
Trust me, this deal is already over-exposed.
Ditto!
Old May 29, 2009, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Personally, this deal is a farce. I have referred 3 friends in the last week and all have made bookings for sub £20 hotels as a favour to me. However, so far not a single transaction has tracked and I haven't received a single £40 voucher. If I check the status of my referrals online it all shows that the vouchers have not been used even though they have.
Old May 29, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: UA , Delta Silver,TG , HHonors , AA, BA,Asia Miles,
Originally Posted by Raffles
Personally, this deal is a farce. I have referred 3 friends in the last week and all have made bookings for sub £20 hotels as a favour to me. However, so far not a single transaction has tracked and I haven't received a single £40 voucher. If I check the status of my referrals online it all shows that the vouchers have not been used even though they have.
I have refer 8 and 6 was shown within4/5 days and 2 took more than a week but at the end all was shown as used and I got all 8 vouchers for 40 each.just wait and it will show up.

Last edited by lmeh; May 29, 2009 at 7:24 am Reason: mistake
Old May 29, 2009, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
OK, thanks for that. Give me some hope!
Old May 29, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: nwa united delta
My friend did me a favor and I have not seen the GBP40 voucher either. It is over 1 week. Can he email someone to ask about this?

Originally Posted by Raffles
Old May 29, 2009, 3:01 pm

Clear Cookies

I couldn't use the 20 pd discount without clearing the cookies between bookings. Maybe it's the same for the 40s. By the way, I too have codes for whoever needs 'em. wj
Old May 29, 2009, 3:50 pm

My 40 voucher arrived three days after my friend made their booking....no problem here.

If anyone needs a code for the 20 voucher PM me.
Old May 29, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA
Credit card fees

If I use a US credit card to book at the UK Expedia site, will I be charged a 3% conversion fee ?
thanks all
Old May 30, 2009, 12:53 am

Programs: KF
Appreciate if anyone can share with me a 40/20 code. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.