(Expired) Expedia Refer-A-Friend promo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Expired) Expedia Refer-A-Friend promo

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Read post 21.
Old May 25, 2009, 9:33 pm

T&C

Not sure if you are all aware. Just since I was not I'd share:

was referred. wanted to book hotel and use the 20 GBP voucher. click. click. click. booking confirmed. wondered where to enter voucher.

after clarification w the service desk please note the T&C:

*quote*
Refer a Friend Promotion £20 off thank-you voucher terms and conditions

1. You are entitled to a £20 off voucher off the total reservation cost exclusive of any taxes or fees when you make your first booking on www dot expedia dot co dot uk in accordance with the terms of the Promotion.

2. The £20 off voucher discount applies to bookings you make on www dot expedia dot co dot uk before 31 December 2009 for Expedia Special Rate hotel only or tailor make and save packages ( Expedia Special Rate hotel plus flight or car) for travel between 28 April 2009 and 31 March 2010.

3. The voucher cannot be redeemed against hotel only bookings for any Harrahs, MGM, Starwood, Novotel, Sol Melia, Rezidor, Hilton Hotels, Intercontinental Hotel Group or Marriott hotel.4. Voucher cannot be redeemed against pre-existing bookings or taxes or fees.

5. Only one voucher can be used per booking.
6. The discount will not apply again if the booking dates for the hotel or package holiday are subsequently changed or if another booking is made after cancelling the first reservation.
7. The voucher may be redeemed only once.
8. You will be asked to sign in as a registered user of the Expedia web site.
9. Usual booking terms and conditions apply and all bookings are subject to availability.
10. All taxes, fees, charges, and surcharges are applicable to reservations made using the discount code or voucher. These charges must be paid at the time of the reservation and are the responsibility of the customer.
11. Voucher has no commercial value and cannot be redeemed for cash
12. Voucher may not be used for any previously purchased reservation.
13. Voucher cannot be used by employees of Hotels.com or Expedia.
14. Expedia reserves the right to vary these conditions of use or to withdraw the discount code or voucher at any time.
*unquote*

My issue was that the hotel I booked was a post-pay rate which does not qualify for the voucher usage...

Now the question is whether the person who referred me is eligible to receive the GBP 40 voucher (have not seen those T&C).

Also note the excluded hotel chains marked in the T&C above.

Rgds
Ham
Old May 26, 2009, 4:20 am

Programs: Most of them...
The workings of this promo are rather complicated.

I tried to refer a person and erroneously entered his details where I should have put mine, then went to step 2 and realised my mistake. Having gone back to step 1, corrected the details to mine, but then in step 2 the system refused to accept that person's e-mail address saying that I cannot send a referral to myself.

I switched from FireFox to IE but then got a screen asking me to log in to my referrals. As I hadn't received any password for that, I ordered one, and since it did not come immediately, repeated the operation several times. I got my password four times a couple of hours later.

In the meantime having received another e-mail address from the person to be referred, I did not try to log in and went back to FF and successfully entered his details.

However, he told me today that he hadn't received anything (since yesterday afternoon).

Questions:
1. How long (at most) has it taken for your invitations to reach the recipients?
2. Must the recipient's details entered in the referral process on the XP site match with their first booking, or will a discount code sent to myself under a different e-mail address and then given to anyone I like suffice?
Old May 26, 2009, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Originally Posted by Toli

Questions:
1. How long (at most) has it taken for your invitations to reach the recipients?
2. Must the recipient's details entered in the referral process on the XP site match with their first booking, or will a discount code sent to myself under a different e-mail address and then given to anyone I like suffice?
1. In my experience, instant...
2. Don't know. I've been sending myself discount codes under different email addresses but using them myself....
Old May 26, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: Most of them...
Originally Posted by flyphilrun
1. In my experience, instant...
2. Don't know. I've been sending myself discount codes under different email addresses but using them myself....
Thanks. Did you also use your own name in these referrals?
Old May 26, 2009, 5:06 am

Has anybody sucessfully redeemed more than one earned 40 GBP refer-a-friend voucher with his/her Expedia account? It seems the T&C allow you to earn ten 40 GBP vouchers and you will get it, but you can use only one!

OK, probably you can open a new Expedia account (and maybe apply for a new credit card as well) for each voucher to use, but this is completely absurd. Are there only trainees working in the Expedia IT departement?
Old May 26, 2009, 5:54 am
Suspended

where do i put promotion code...

cannot find it
Old May 26, 2009, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
During the booking process it says "Do you have a voucher?". Click yes and a box opens up for the code. This is how the UK site works.
Old May 26, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Originally Posted by Toli
Thanks. Did you also use your own name in these referrals?
YES Absolutely, but a different e-mail address each time.

Originally Posted by marobo
Has anybody sucessfully redeemed more than one earned 40 GBP refer-a-friend voucher with his/her Expedia account? It seems the T&C allow you to earn ten 40 GBP vouchers and you will get it, but you can use only one!

OK, probably you can open a new Expedia account (and maybe apply for a new credit card as well) for each voucher to use, but this is completely absurd. Are there only trainees working in the Expedia IT departement?
Interesting. I've 'earned' 2 so far with 2 more coming up. From what I've read on here so far I thought they were linked to the credit card you paid with (ie only one voucher per CC) so I've been looking out all my old CCs to pay for my upcoming reservations. But if what you say is true then I'll have to start opening Expedia accounts under names and initials (and any combination thereof)!
Old May 26, 2009, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by flyphilrun
Interesting. I've 'earned' 2 so far with 2 more coming up. From what I've read on here so far I thought they were linked to the credit card you paid with (ie only one voucher per CC) so I've been looking out all my old CCs to pay for my upcoming reservations. But if what you say is true then I'll have to start opening Expedia accounts under names and initials (and any combination thereof)!
If you are not logged in to the account the voucher will be accepted and the price will be reduced fine. The error message "We're sorry, but our records show that this voucher has already been used" shows up after logging in while making a booking (a long time before you enter the credit card details in the last step). Maybe the same or another error message appears when you try with to book with another Expedia account and the same credit card (I haven't tried).

Or has had anyone more success by using more than one 40 GBP voucher with his/her account?
Old May 26, 2009, 8:25 am

If you are not logged in to the account the Maybe the same or another error message appears when you try with to book with another Expedia account and the same credit card (I haven't tried).

Or has had anyone more success by using more than one 40 GBP voucher with his/her account?
i have tried it with several fake accounts and diffrent credit cards - same problem

i've sent expedia an email, but still no feedback.

hope that they are going to solve this problem in the next few days!
Old May 26, 2009, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anima13
i've sent expedia an email, but still no feedback.
I think contacting Expedia to express concern over the quirks in this program is a bad idea. Yes, there are some quirks, but there are work-arounds to all of them (as already noted here).

More scrutiny of this offer is not in our collective interest. Read the thread before you call.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Has anyone tried double-dipping with the same CC/e-mail to use the 20-euro vouchers over on expedia.fr? The site is in French, but I'm sure you could fake your way through it.

The single-use 40-pound issue sounds like a bona fide programming bug.

Am back from the 4-day vacation to North Dakota (will do a trip report if I can get out from under the work backup). As always, PM me eith e-mail address to send to if you want a code!
Old May 26, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
If you are not logged in to the account the voucher will be accepted and the price will be reduced fine. The error message "We're sorry, but our records show that this voucher has already been used" shows up after logging in while making a booking (a long time before you enter the credit card details in the last step). Maybe the same or another error message appears when you try with to book with another Expedia account and the same credit card (I haven't tried).
I ran into this problem trying to use a different GBP20 voucher with the same acct. Worked fine under a diff. acct with diff. CC. I think it was still giving some issues, but I just redid the search, entered the code and it seemed to end up working in the end.
Old May 26, 2009, 2:41 pm

I've only managed to use one of the three 40GBP vouchers which I have received. I am getting the same message as everyone else when I attempt to make another booking. The thing is that I have just tried using one of the vouchers in the account that I opened in my girlfriends name and it appears that it will work even though she was refered not the referer. Am I doing anything wrong using the voucher in her account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.