Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] FAIRMONT HOTELS - Employee Friends and Family Promotion

[EXPIRED] FAIRMONT HOTELS - Employee Friends and Family Promotion

Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nyx.t2t
Everyone makes it seem like this is a really bad thing for Fairmont. But if they have empty rooms that aren't being used, why not make use of them and boost revenue during these tough economic times? Even if it's at an incredible discount. A program like this brings in people to fill their rooms and boosts revenues not only for hotel night stay-overs but for in-room dining, hotel restaurants, etc. Does anyone else see it like this? Doesn't that make sense?
Empty rooms in low season are one thing but this promo, I'm sure Fairmont will be quick to discover, will also work work the other way and will bring down room rates at higher demand times like 4th July weekend, Labour Day, Xmas and New Year's Eve as this promo has no apparent blackout dates. Doesn't that makes as much sense?

BTW your reluctance to join in the online promo bonanza also indicates your cautious which does make sense to me.

Originally Posted by nyz.t2t
I'll probably request one sooner or later when a family member needs a hotel room but I don't think I'll be sharing it with the general public like this other guy just in case because I don't want to get into any trouble.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Just booked a couple of rooms in Sonoma for an upcoming milestone birthday. I am generally skeptical/dubious of anything internet...however.

The rate secured was identical to the pre-paid/non-refundable rate for the same time period. The rate is only guaranteed against a credit card, and will not be processed until a week before arrival. If this doesn't pan out, word will travel at the speed of a typhoid epidemic. Given the popularity of this promotion, a deluge of cancellations and lost revenue will ensue.

I'll go with my gut on this one, and look forward to the upcoming wine-fest
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by mlbcard
Just got SF Ghirardelli Place for $169. Going for $350 on hotels.com... if it doesn't work, we've got friends to stay with in SF! Thanks OP.
I just had the same results for a couple of days in June for $169 vs $350 rack. Thanks for the 'heads up'. At least I'll know before June if this promo is for real or not!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: Fairmont President's Club, Aeroplan, Airmiles
Originally Posted by tcook052
BTW your reluctance to join in the online promo bonanza also indicates your cautious which does make sense to me.
I am just worried that the booking code is only supposed to be shared with actual friends and family. I am pretty sure they won't question this at checkin but it might be pretty obvious to Fairmont that the employee who posted the original ID doesn't actually have THAT many friends and family.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:44 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I worked, as in past tense, for this company for 20 years. Each hotel regulates very carefully the amount of rooms allocated for staff and friends & family rates. They may be shocked at how many rooms are booked, but I doubt that they will be dissapointed. They may stop the promo, or do the opposite and extend it. Fairmont are a reationary bunch with not alot of success in the thinking of Loyalty Programs (they reward the agent that books the rooms, not the customer as HHonors , SPG, & the rest do). They haven't seen how loyalty, dispite it's costs, can carry a company through hard times. PERHAPS THIS SURGE OF BOOKINGS CAN BE THE CATALYST TO A NEW AGE THEIR LOYALTY PROGRAM, 'President's Club'

The bottom line is that they are filling rooms that would otherwise go empty. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the next week, but I'd doubt any bookings get cancelled.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
I think the promotion makes quite a bit of sense, for me personally I was going to book upcoming stays on PL/Hotwire or find a low expedia rate but now Fairmont will get 100% of my business. I'm willing to pay more for a Fairmont than a typical 4* on PL/Hotwire, so it would seem they win by getting my business and I win by staying in their hotels.

Like any promotion it could be canceled at anytime, but I don't see why they wouldn't honor rates that were already booked, especially if their hotels already have low occupancy.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
In Spring 2008 Fairmont was offering some terrific deals on Expedia & Hotels.com that were valid all the way through Summer and Fall. And it's been the same thing this year ever since January. I've been doing some price comparisons between the above mentioned sales and the current prices using NFAF promo code, many of which are very close. So, while it seems unconventional to allow "non" friends and families to book such a rate, the bottom line (to me, anyway) is the rates are very comparable and not that "far out". It would be a different story if NFAF rates were typically something like $49 a night. So honoring a rate $10-$20 cheaper than an Expedia sale, eliminating paying a commission but instead rewarding an employee, doesn't sound all that far fetched to me.

Last edited by BEAV; Apr 5, 2009 at 10:16 am
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:39 am

I've made a few bookings and have read this whole thread and I'm now convinced this rate is legit and that Fairmont really has encouraged its employees to get out there and sell rooms. I applaud Fairmont for engaging in this bit of guerilla marketing. I do agree with comments that Fairmont may find the promotion is "too successful" and pull the plug on it but I have no doubts they will honor the reservations that have been made.

Two notes based on a couple of hours of research and booking this rate:

1. Sometime this rate is actually higher than the Fairmont Savers rate at Fairmont.com. I found that to be true for some nights at the Fairmont San Francisco, for example.

2. Sometimes I was asked to prepay by the web site, sometimes no deposit was required and the reservation is fully cancellable until the day before arrival. It may depend on the property.

If you are concerned about legitimacy of the rate and/or potential overuse of the 84462167 "booker I.D.," I suggest you google '29905503 Fairmont' and the first hit should be an online posting by another Fairmont employee re this deal. This person is offering to email a scan of his or her business card if you have any concerns, so that might be a viable alternative for those with concerns, because then you will know the employee's name and position if asked, and also because the 29905503 booker I.D. is probably getting a lot less use than the ubiquitous 84462167.

So I say Three Cheers for Fairmont!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seanthepilot

The bottom line is that they are filling rooms that would otherwise go empty. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the next week, but I'd doubt any bookings get cancelled.

With all due respect, you and others are engaging in wishful thinking and self-justification. This permits bookings 90 days out. How do you know what a room will go for 90 days out -- especially entering the busy summer season?

Others have mentioned lost revenue -- well, that is true if the rooms would otherwise have gone unoccupied. That remains to be seen.

Yes, it is bad times in the hotel industry. Consumers are holding back. There are many, at least, that are waiting to see how things go, however. The market has had a string of rallies now, and although unemployment hit 8.5%, home sales are also starting to rebound.

It is too early to see if positive economic trends will continue, but no one knows what the summer demand will be.

In addition, you undercut your argument, I am afraid to say.

You indicate that the folks at Fairmont are reactionary.

Yet you also argue, as others have, that this is a legitimate deal for us to book.

I do not know how you can square your view of the Fairmont execs as Neantderthals with the view by nsome above that these same folks are now "enlightened" execs with this open the flood gates attitude that anyone can be a friend or family member of any employee.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:01 am

I used the promotion code PRTVZ1 from the Travelzoo.com website in December for similar discounted rates at the Fairmont in Seattle. I think the Travelzoo code require prepayment but it looks like it still works.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by will5404
I think the promotion makes quite a bit of sense, for me personally I was going to book upcoming stays on PL/Hotwire or find a low expedia rate but now Fairmont will get 100% of my business. I'm willing to pay more for a Fairmont than a typical 4* on PL/Hotwire, so it would seem they win by getting my business and I win by staying in their hotels.
Sure, why book a non-refundable rate on a site where you are not exactly sure what property you are going to get vs. one that you know where it is, what it is about, and that is fully refundable.

Now, why couldn't I arrive at such a same stroke of genius?

Like any promotion it could be canceled at anytime, ....
Unlike .... Why your PLN, Hotwire or Expedia Special rate reservation!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Apr 5, 2009 at 11:07 am
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nyx.t2t
I am just worried that the booking code is only supposed to be shared with actual friends and family.
Now, what gave you that idea.

Could it have been that was how all prior Friends and Family rates were handled by Fairmont?

Or...

Could it have been that most other friends and family rates require strict documentation and that one must produce same at check-in?

Or....

That these friends and family rates are surpisingly lower than even pre-paid non-refundable rates?

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Apr 5, 2009 at 2:03 pm
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
I dont understand why you are so excited about this !?

Are you somehow invested in Fairmont and fear you could lose money with this promotion going on

Yes I was concerned how legit this deal is but in the end it looks all good. And if not there are 3 weeks left to get another hotel. Shouldnt be too expensive in SIN and YVR.

Despite that: Orbitz has many rates for the Fairmont Waterfront for 119 CDN or less so this is not really much cheaper. Just that it's flexible.

Now, the Junior Suite at the Vancouver Hotel is a steal and I wanna try it ^
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I think he might want others to cancel and make room available at the Orchid or Plaza. :-;
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:46 am

I have booked several properties using this deal! I booked in Sonoma Fairmont a Jr. Suite for New Years so you can book more than 90 days out at certain properties! The rate is not valid after Jan. 1st....!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.