Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] FAIRMONT HOTELS - Employee Friends and Family Promotion

[EXPIRED] FAIRMONT HOTELS - Employee Friends and Family Promotion

Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:56 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Posts: 6,923
Questions: who has the earliest PLAZA in NYC reservation. I have two now for April 24 and May 6th.
nmenaker is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:21 pm
  #152  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 50
Fairmont is giving incentives to their employees to book friends and family rates to fill up the empty rooms. It (the flyer) says "get paid to book". "win great prizes"


Every hotel offers only so many rooms at discounts and packages. So, if it's a busy weekend in Chicago...the special rates (gov. employee, AAA, AARP and other rates) and packages aren't available.

I don't understand how some and view this as a moral issue.

I think it's very smart of an employee to try to get as many rooms booked as possible to win prizes. It's what the Fairmont is asking of their employees. Isn't it? Fill up our empty rooms......!


I booked a non refundable rate for a S.F. in May a few months back. I called today to see if I found a lower rate...like "friends and family rate"....could i get the new rate? The gentleman I talked with said no....only because my rate is nonrefundable but next time i could book the friends and family rate. Also, he said that I had been upgraded from a one bedroom suite to a two bedroom suite. I asked why and he said probably because they are low on occupancy at that time. It's only my husband and myself traveling but I guess they thought i needed my own bedroom! lol

I love Fairmont! It's a great company and a super hotel to stay in! Good for them that they are rewarding their employees to help book rooms! It's a great marketing idea!
kell113 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:25 pm
  #153  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10
Why assume you know why the RFD thread was removed? I talked to the OP from that thread and he pulled it because of people like you on that site who were hassling him.As well as RFD hassling him for putting his ID number in the post. Fairmont is aware and has allocated rooms for this promotion if you think otherwise, well it is your loss.
sammydavis is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:27 pm
  #154  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10
One more thing, I just booked for September at San Francisco Heritage Place. The other hotel in SF wouldn't take my booking code. sweet deal, free private driver with Masserati.
sammydavis is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:33 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto - YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Posts: 5,899
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Folks, come on. If you don't think for a minute that Fairmont knew this was going to happen (spread like wildfire across the internet), then I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you on the below linked Brooklyn Reality Tour.
Click on the link.

dh
Exactly. The rate is still open and bookable for the property that I reserved in May. Given that this has been "raging" for 24 hours, I'm certain that the CEO of Fairmont Hotels would have been summoned while floating on an inflatable raft at the Acapulco Princess, while sipping on a margarita , to deal with this corporate catastrophe -- if that were indeed the case. The NFAF rate is still alive and well.

This is no different than an airline running a seat sale.
ACYYZ/SD is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:39 pm
  #156  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,377
Originally Posted by kell113
Fairmont is giving incentives to their employees to book friends and family rates to fill up the empty rooms. It (the flyer) says "get paid to book". "win great prizes"
It does seem like Fairmont is trying to turn their employees into sales agents. It does not seem like it's being touted as a benefit/perk.
soitgoes is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:13 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Posts: 5,772
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Folks, come on. If you don't think for a minute that Fairmont knew this was going to happen (spread like wildfire across the internet), then I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you on the below linked Brooklyn Reality Tour.
Click on the link.

dh
There is some wisdom to this....they would have to be a bit dull to not think that this somehow end up on the internet--especially given this little employee 'perk' that appears to have been added
Renard is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:54 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: DSM
Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Posts: 1,035
There is some wisdom to this....they would have to be a bit dull to not think that this somehow end up on the internet--especially given this little employee 'perk' that appears to have been added.

If there was any real concern on the part of Fairmont their web team could have deactivated the discount code in about 10 seconds. I think the powers that be are just fine with the room-filling that's going on. When they've filled enough, they'll shut off the spicket.

Last edited by flyupfront; Apr 5, 2009 at 6:55 pm Reason: grammatical change
flyupfront is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:12 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lafayette, CO, USA
Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Posts: 9,096
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Folks, come on. If you don't think for a minute that Fairmont knew this was going to happen (spread like wildfire across the internet), then I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you on the below linked Brooklyn Reality Tour.
Just like LMT.com didn't think that someone would purchase a week in a Waldorf-Astoria resort property over Christmas? (This was just one of LMT.com's problems.) I don't think that many companies are fully prepared for what they're getting into with viral marketing.

Fairmont might have known that it would spread, but that doesn't mean that they had an accurate understanding of how fast things would actually take place or that they had adequately confirmed that every rate manager was properly prepared for it.

In this case, I'm concerned that the decision on whether to honor a reservation might come down to a decision by each individual property manager rather than a corporate-wide decision by Fairmont.

dhammer53, I completely agree with you, though.
sc flier is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:24 pm
  #160  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Posts: 5,772
Originally Posted by flyupfront
There is some wisdom to this....they would have to be a bit dull to not think that this somehow end up on the internet--especially given this little employee 'perk' that appears to have been added.

If there was any real concern on the part of Fairmont their web team could have deactivated the discount code in about 10 seconds. I think the powers that be are just fine with the room-filling that's going on. When they've filled enough, they'll shut off the spicket.
Yes...it is very clear that this rate is capacity controlled. If they're racking up 'too many sales' they can just shut it off or tighten it up.
Renard is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:08 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 589
NJ seems to think the post below was some kind of moral gymnastics; frankly I don't understand the attack at all, but if it helps to clarify, points #1 & #2 below were intended simply to assist FT'ers booking this rate and were not intended to make any kind of argument. #1 is a heads up to be sure to check the fairmont savers rate too to make sure you really are getting the lowest rate with the NFAF rate. #2 also was just intended to make the community aware that sometime the NFAF rate does generate a request for prepayment.

Since some have expressed concerns regarding the volume of bookings attributable to one employee, 84462167, I advise googling '29905503 fairmont' to see an online posting by a different employee. The fact that that person is offering to provide his or her business card did indeed increase my level of confidence that the deal is legit and that Fairmont has told its employess to "get out there and sell!". Of course now having read some of the vitriol on this board I hope that employee reconsiders that offer because the person asking for his or her business card may be someone looking to make trouble for him or her just to be proven right in some argument which really has no one on the other side of it, which is sad.

This reminds me of many previous discussions on FT, including a $20 rate (including a nice breakfast) in Zurich I took advantage of via FT a few years ago - it wound up being available for several weeks after it was posted to FT and despite a few posters who thought it was too good to be true I did not have any problems or even questions during a two week stay in Zurich in midsummer and as far as I know neither did anyone else.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...breakfast.html

Originally Posted by wrose99
I've made a few bookings and have read this whole thread and I'm now convinced this rate is legit and that Fairmont really has encouraged its employees to get out there and sell rooms. I applaud Fairmont for engaging in this bit of guerilla marketing. I do agree with comments that Fairmont may find the promotion is "too successful" and pull the plug on it but I have no doubts they will honor the reservations that have been made.

Two notes based on a couple of hours of research and booking this rate:

1. Sometime this rate is actually higher than the Fairmont Savers rate at Fairmont.com. I found that to be true for some nights at the Fairmont San Francisco, for example.

2. Sometimes I was asked to prepay by the web site, sometimes no deposit was required and the reservation is fully cancellable until the day before arrival. It may depend on the property.

If you are concerned about legitimacy of the rate and/or potential overuse of the 84462167 "booker I.D.," I suggest you google '29905503 Fairmont' and the first hit should be an online posting by another Fairmont employee re this deal. This person is offering to email a scan of his or her business card if you have any concerns, so that might be a viable alternative for those with concerns, because then you will know the employee's name and position if asked, and also because the 29905503 booker I.D. is probably getting a lot less use than the ubiquitous 84462167.

So I say Three Cheers for Fairmont!
wrose99 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:18 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF BayArea
Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Posts: 2,223
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Questions: who has the earliest PLAZA in NYC reservation. I have two now for April 24 and May 6th.
Is it me on April 10th? If so, I'm all set to go & will report back to all as soon as I can log onto my free WIFI at the Plaza.

She of low moral fiber & heading to H*!! in a gilded suite!
travelsavant is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:29 pm
  #163  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,720
Originally Posted by wrose99
Of course now having read some of the vitriol on this board I hope that employee reconsiders that offer because the person asking for his or her business card may be someone looking to make trouble for him or her just to be proven right in some argument which really has no one on the other side of it, which is sad.
The only vitriol I see on this board is above where you imply that I would go to the lengths of obtaining same and then try to get that poster in trouble with his/her employer.

That is not only sad, as you say, but contemptible.

I think you should take a long look in the mirror before you start accusing others of such conduct. Psychologists call that projection, by the way.

DHammer --

I agree with you often, and your argument has merit, however, there is a flaw, as well.

Wrose points out that approximately 3-4 Fairmont employees have posted their ID numbers on separate bulletin boards (that we can locate as of now) announcing this "promotion."

Now, I have read herein that some of you don't hold the management of Fairmont in high regard and that they are a bunch of execs trapped in a
1960's time warp or something regarding marketing.

All of a sudden now, they are a bunch of geniuses conducting a guerilla marketing campaign.

If this overnight conversion is not enough to give some of you pause, then answer me this:

How many properties does Fairmont own/manage and how many people do they employ in their work force?

Does it not strike some of you as a bit strange that only 3-4 employees have announced this incredible guerrilla marketing campaign?

Of course the answer to these questions from some of you true believers is that the execs are dunderheads and did not effectively communicate this guerilla marketing campaign to all of their employees and that only a couple of their "enligthened" employees were able to glean and discern the true purpose of this guerilla "promotion."

Circular logic at its best.

As others have said, you likely should know soon whether this was the intent of the execs or not. If it was the intent of the execs to spread this virally, then I say they have failed miserably to communicate such intent to most of their workforce.

If, on the other hand, an overzealous employee sought to make a few extra bucks (for as I understand it, employees prior to this "promotion" did not receive a cash payment for a friends and family booking), well, then, that/those employee(s), may have some serious explaining to do come tomorrow morning.

By the way, as much as I think FT should be the center of the traveling public's universe, it is not.

If Fairmont really wants to get the word out about this "promotion" and wants more bookings, just wait till the folks at Fat Wallet and Slick Deals get their hands on this and publicize it.

You ain't seen nothing yet!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Apr 5, 2009 at 9:38 pm
NJUPINTHEAIR is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:25 pm
  #164  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 50
If you are worried about your reservation....just call your President club associate like i did. You will feel better! Confirm the rate and support the economy and hotel!!!!

I booked a bunch of rooms at Ritz when they had a $50 room rate glitch last year. I worried about it until I decided to inquire about it! They confirmed it and no worries. Such a classy hotel! They said..."hey, too bad you didn't catch the $5 room rate glitch we had a few weeks back!"

This isn't a glitch...just a promotion!
kell113 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:50 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 50
FYI...hotel management (company management, etc) works 24/7. They don't wait for Monday's report of mishaps to get on a problem (if there is one). Those people work harder than anyone I know.

There isn't a problem. You call..ask "am i good to go on this rate"....period. You don't need to go into anything else like ID#. that's just goofy.
kell113 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.