Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] LastMinuteTravel.com Offers 15,000 Hotels for $1 Per Night

[EXPIRED] LastMinuteTravel.com Offers 15,000 Hotels for $1 Per Night

Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by grantb7
From the looks of the youtube video we are clear from 1152 - 0602 EST.
/Brandon
1. Which video did it declare the times that they sleep?

2. What does this mean related to the previous clue which stated "1/27AMEST"?

Discuss.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:38 am

If you look at their alarm clock the little dot in the upper left hand corner is on both times. on my alarm clock the little dot means AM.

Originally Posted by grantb7
From the looks of the youtube video we are clear from 1152 - 0602 EST.
/Brandon
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:44 am

I did notice under the official rules that the sale is open only to US citizens. That sucks for all you guys who were posting on here who live across the pond.
But hopefully that will narrow the field down of people trying to log on. I wish they had never posted all these commercials on youtube advertising this sale. I really hope I'm quick enough not to end up booking a couple rat trap motels during this thing.
Is it Monday yet?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: HHonor gold, AA, Delta, United
first 500 only

Read the fine print:
...to the first five hundred (500) entrants who complete the entire entry/booking process within the Booking Period.

Did they change that recently?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by iwls01
Read the fine print:
...to the first five hundred (500) entrants who complete the entire entry/booking process within the Booking Period.

Ten arbitrarily scheduled 15-minute periods, each one cut off after 500 people have successfully completed registration. If the maximum of 500 is not reached within 15 minutes, the unused component of 500 does not carry over to the next session.

Ten times 500 = 5,000 people potentially to receive rooms in the contest. Since each person can obtain up to seven nights for $1/night plus taxes and fees, of course, that adds up to (potentially) 35,000 room nights.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by iwls01
Read the fine print:

Yes they changed that. They added several new "terms and conditions" including this little beauty:
"If an entrant is a winner, the entrant will be notified within the 15-minute Booking Period by receipt of a confirmation email indicating that the entry/booking was successful and they won the prize. Odds of winning depend on the number of persons who go to the Site during a Booking Period and successfully complete the entry/booking process. Limit of one (1) prize per person throughout Sweepstakes Period. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded."

This has me worried that you're going to try to book a hotel that may be $200 a night, put in your credit card info and submit. So what happens if you're not one of the lucky 500 selected? Do you end up paying full price for the hotel? That's not good.
I also noticed this is now called a "sweepstakes" which suggests that it is a random drawing of all the people who submit bids during the 15 minute window. Also in the above, you can see where it says "odds of winning based on number of people who complete booking process." So even if you get your bid in with time to spare, you can still not get the room for a dollar, in which case, will you have to pay full fare?
I called them and literally, 3 different people told me that the only info they have is what is on the website and cannot clarify any of this.
They also will not clarify how taxes will be paid. The rules now say "Winners are solely responsible for the payment of all federal, state and local taxes on prize" which leads me to believe you will have to report this as a winnings slot on your federal taxes.
And people living in FL, NY, and RI are out of luck b/c they are banned from the contest.
This is getting trickier by the day. Be interesting to see if even more rules get added as the date gets closer.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, UA, AS, DL. HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fsuga
Yes they changed that. They added several new "terms and conditions" including this little beauty:
"If an entrant is a winner, the entrant will be notified within the 15-minute Booking Period by receipt of a confirmation email indicating that the entry/booking was successful and they won the prize. Odds of winning depend on the number of persons who go to the Site during a Booking Period and successfully complete the entry/booking process. Limit of one (1) prize per person throughout Sweepstakes Period. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded."

This has me worried that you're going to try to book a hotel that may be $200 a night, put in your credit card info and submit. So what happens if you're not one of the lucky 500 selected? Do you end up paying full price for the hotel? That's not good.
I also noticed this is now called a "sweepstakes" which suggests that it is a random drawing of all the people who submit bids during the 15 minute window. Also in the above, you can see where it says "odds of winning based on number of people who complete booking process." So even if you get your bid in with time to spare, you can still not get the room for a dollar, in which case, will you have to pay full fare?
I called them and literally, 3 different people told me that the only info they have is what is on the website and cannot clarify any of this.
They also will not clarify how taxes will be paid. The rules now say "Winners are solely responsible for the payment of all federal, state and local taxes on prize" which leads me to believe you will have to report this as a winnings slot on your federal taxes.
And people living in FL, NY, and RI are out of luck b/c they are banned from the contest.
This is getting trickier by the day. Be interesting to see if even more rules get added as the date gets closer.
My thoughts on the new T&C:
I thought it was illegal to charge more than an advertised price, or tack on extra charges after something is purchased. Unless they have some kind of waiver or the price is intentionally NOT listed when you buy it, they could not charge you full price for a room without you knowing at the time of purchase. Or, if you don't get the $1 rate, you can always cancel the room and pay their $25 cancellation fee - maybe that's how they're subsidizing this little contest?

As far as taxes, I would find it hard to believe that the money you saved would count as "winnings" to be taxed, but even if it was, I would imagine any amount under $600 savings/winnings wouldn't count as supplemental income, right? I mean, you're not even seeing the money, because you never paid it in the first place. Money saved should not be legally taxed. Unless of course, the new T&C make this more like $1 entry into a raffle of hotel rooms, which would be a cheap shot.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by angelsgirl85
My thoughts on the new T&C:
I thought it was illegal to charge more than an advertised price, or tack on extra charges after something is purchased. Unless they have some kind of waiver or the price is intentionally NOT listed when you buy it, they could not charge you full price for a room without you knowing at the time of purchase. Or, if you don't get the $1 rate, you can always cancel the room and pay their $25 cancellation fee - maybe that's how they're subsidizing this little contest?

As far as taxes, I would find it hard to believe that the money you saved would count as "winnings" to be taxed, but even if it was, I would imagine any amount under $600 savings/winnings wouldn't count as supplemental income, right? I mean, you're not even seeing the money, because you never paid it in the first place. Money saved should not be legally taxed. Unless of course, the new T&C make this more like $1 entry into a raffle of hotel rooms, which would be a cheap shot.
I'm thinking that calling it a "sweepstakes" has to change things. I'm guessing that you're "winning" a room for a dollar, as opposed to just being able to book one for a buck, because not everybody who tries will be able to book one. There's no federal tax on hotel rooms, right? So why else would they specifically mention "winners are solely responsible for the payment of all federal, state and local taxes on prize"? They call us winners for a reason.

And the 25 dollar cancellation fee might be their ace in the hole. I'm thinking the site will look just like it normally does, with the regular prices of the hotels on the screen, not $1, and then you get notified if you win. If they get even just 500 people a day booking and canceling, $12,500 per day for 10 days=125K.
I'll tell you this, if I book a 5 night stay at a 500 dollar a night hotel in NY and get charged 2500 bucks, I will make it my mission in life to make sure nobody I know ever so much as visits that site again.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
It does say that "The credit card provided by the entrant will not be charged any amount and is need solely for the purpose of identification and record-keeping purposes. "

Even if they don't charge cancellation fees from non-winners they will most likely make money off cancellation fees from people who actually do win and don't bother to follow through on their booking.

Eliminating FL and NY is pretty drastic.... if they match it to billing address I suppose one could just add an address from another state to the credit card used if necessary.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Elena
It does say that "The credit card provided by the entrant will not be charged any amount and is need solely for the purpose of identification and record-keeping purposes. "

Even if they don't charge cancellation fees from non-winners they will most likely make money off cancellation fees from people who actually do win and don't bother to follow through on their booking.

Eliminating FL and NY is pretty drastic.... if they match it to billing address I suppose one could just add an address from another state to the credit card used if necessary.
It's a darn good thing I have a house in Savannah as well, or my Destin address would have had me shut out of this thing. I'm sure lots of FL/NY folks are changing billing addresses as we speak. It's funny that the company is listed as being from Florida, yet they run a contest people in their own state can't enter.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I'm beginning to dislike the way this is turning out more and more. They don't have very clear information on how this works, and I don't ever recall it being promoted as a sweepstakes at the beginning.

Don't sweepstakes or contests require "no purchase necessary" clauses? Somethings amiss, or maybe the people that dreamed up this promo hasn't thought it all the way through, or are expecting to cash in on some suckers.

Originally Posted by fsuga
I'm thinking that calling it a "sweepstakes" has to change things. I'm guessing that you're "winning" a room for a dollar, as opposed to just being able to book one for a buck, because not everybody who tries will be able to book one. There's no federal tax on hotel rooms, right? So why else would they specifically mention "winners are solely responsible for the payment of all federal, state and local taxes on prize"? They call us winners for a reason.

And the 25 dollar cancellation fee might be their ace in the hole. I'm thinking the site will look just like it normally does, with the regular prices of the hotels on the screen, not $1, and then you get notified if you win. If they get even just 500 people a day booking and canceling, $12,500 per day for 10 days=125K.
I'll tell you this, if I book a 5 night stay at a 500 dollar a night hotel in NY and get charged 2500 bucks, I will make it my mission in life to make sure nobody I know ever so much as visits that site again.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by nvoi
luv2ctheworld, one of the previous posters looked up the whois and posted it here. the lastminutetravel is hosted with the company lhw chose after the fiasco, akamai. with their distributed noc's all over the world, they are perfectly prepared and will not fail. Akamai has also been delivering the inauguration of Obama, the so far most widely watched livestream ever - did they fail on you?
Last time I worked on some bids for network hosting, the reliability/load factor was based on how much one paid. I would say that any website, willing to spend enough money, can get a highly robust and reliable service. However, the issue is: does lastminutetravel seem like an outfit that will pay for such high reliability?

I think the inauguration is a poor comparison... a more apt analogy is of the inauguration requirements vs lastminutetravel's to how much money and effort goes into flying a 747 vs. a Cessna. Akamai's setup may not fail, but does this travel company pay enough for Akamai to provide it? That doesn't even consider other potential technical snafu's that can arise from a surge in high demand. I've seen enough "experienced" web/e-commerce sites slow to a crawl.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:48 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I'm starting to agree with you, luv2ctheworld. If you look at TTT's post, you will see what the Terms and Conditions WERE.

Oddly enough, they said from the beginning "Buy hotel room nights for $1 a night"... now you don't have to purchase anything and they claim that your CC won't be charged, but they're still calling it the $1 per night promotion.

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I'm beginning to dislike the way this is turning out more and more. They don't have very clear information on how this works, and I don't ever recall it being promoted as a sweepstakes at the beginning.

Don't sweepstakes or contests require "no purchase necessary" clauses? Somethings amiss, or maybe the people that dreamed up this promo hasn't thought it all the way through, or are expecting to cash in on some suckers.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:28 am

clues on video series

Got this by mail from a friend. Actually was fun to watch once you go through the first minute or so. I think the $1 a night thing will be only during daytime.

Anyone picked up on other clues?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da3tFy8I4TY
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
The more I think about it, 1:27 am est just seems to obvious.

If they are really going to be giving away this many rooms I would expect a last minute clue. Maybe we will get a revised clue at 1:27am.

Going into it I was expecting an email moments before the sale
I think one of the clues in this vid is that it will star at 6:02 in at least one of the days...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da3tFy8I4TY

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.