Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Venice-Mestre 3 star for 45 Euros thru March

Old Dec 17, 08, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Travelzoo has a cheap rate on the Delfino, which gets good reviews on tripadvisor. Rate includes breakfast buffet and a bottle of wine.

I've never stayed in Mestre while visiting Venice, but at this price, I might.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/internat...um=email_top20
Old Dec 17, 08, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Travelzoo has a cheap rate on the Delfino, which gets good reviews on tripadvisor. Rate includes breakfast buffet and a bottle of wine.

I've never stayed in Mestre while visiting Venice, but at this price, I might.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/internat...um=email_top20
I don't care what tripadvisor says, staying in Mestre - even at 1/2 this price - is not worth it.
Old Dec 17, 08, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
I don't care what tripadvisor says, staying in Mestre - even at 1/2 this price - is not worth it.
Aw, that's harsh. I've never stayed in Mestre, but I did once park my car there and take the train to Venice (where I stayed overnight). The train is very fast (10 minutes) and cheap, and there's also a bus option.

Not sure what deals there are in Venice these days, but I personally wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks a night to avoid Mestre (unless it was a special event like a honeymoon, etc.).
Old Dec 17, 08, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lido at low season can have some good bargains

I would stay at Lido and take the No.1 to Venice Proper than stay at Mestre.

Early Oct we stayed at Lido - a nice little hotel just 7 minutes walk to the ferry dock, at 80 euro incl a very decent Continental breakfast (boiled eggs and pate were among the many offerings.)

I am guessing the rate would be lower in winter.

No.1 runs very frequently and in 10 min you would be at San Marco.

No way we would stay at Mestre when visiting Venice.
Old Dec 17, 08, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Aw, that's harsh. I've never stayed in Mestre, but I did once park my car there and take the train to Venice (where I stayed overnight). The train is very fast (10 minutes) and cheap, and there's also a bus option.
I live in Venice so I am quite familiar w/Mestre - and while my statement may strike you as harsh, I stand by it nonetheless.
Old Dec 17, 08, 11:12 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Agree 100% with bdemaria. As a resident of the Veneto, Mestre is well-known as the armpit of the region. It is an absolutely horrible place. I wouldn't stay there if they PAID me. Seriously. The only 2 hotels that are on the mainland that are "near" Mestre that are habitable are the Courtyard by Marriott Marco Polo Airport and the Titian Hotel in Tessera. The latter being a small, independent place that would be useful only if you needed a place near the airport and was just to put your head down on a pillow. It is certainly not a resort or full-service style hotel. Think Red Roof Inn.
Old Dec 17, 08, 11:20 am

... not worth it?

OK, Mestre is not the nicest village on earth, but this offer looks good to me:

-it's really a good price ... and I had never a bad hotel when following the reviews in Tripadvisor.
-I can park my car, which is a problem and expensive .. and in most of the parking garages you have to leave the key in the car.
Old Dec 17, 08, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USAFAN View Post
... not worth it?

OK, Mestre is not the nicest village on earth, but this offer looks good to me:

-it's really a good price ... and I had never a bad hotel when following the reviews in Tripadvisor.
-I can park my car, which is a problem and expensive .. and in most of the parking garages you have to leave the key in the car.
Mestre is not a village - that term conjures up little villas and kindly Italian granpas playing bocce ball in the afternoon. Mestre is an industrial wasteland that has one of the highest crime rates in all of Europe, mostly as as a result of I.V. drug use and the crime and disease associated with that addiction.

If you choose to book a discount hotel in Mestre and park you car there - just be sure you get theft insurance for the car, you don't leave any valuables in your room, you don't wear visible jewelry and make sure you have at least one xerox copy of your passport stowed in a safe location (preferably w/a relative/friend who isn't traveling w/you) as the copy will make it much easier to replace once it is stolen.
Old Dec 17, 08, 12:33 pm

....If you choose to book a discount hotel in Mestre and park you car there - just be sure you get theft insurance for the car, you don't leave any valuables in your room, you don't wear visible jewelry and make sure you have at least one xerox copy of your passport stowed in a safe location (preferably w/a relative/friend who isn't traveling w/you) as the copy will make it much easier to replace once it is stolen.
O-My-God! I may skip this offer...thanks ... BTW, I have a copy of all (passport, drivers license, credit cards ...) in my laptop and encrypted on the Internet.
However, I am aware of some crime in Italy:
-Avis don't let you drive a BMW 5 & 7, Mercedes E & S and no Porsche into Italy.
-My Italian colleague in Milano got his company BMW 530 "stolen"; the car key was also gone...!?!
Old Dec 17, 08, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I've driven around Mestre. Not on purpose: unlike most European cities, "the center" is poorly marked. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. The area by the train station (and by this hotel) seemed perfectly safe. There are several hotels right there. From a safety standpoint, I would have no hesitation staying there. From an aesthetic standpoint, well that's another story. Everyone probably has their price on aethetics.

Vehicle theft in Italy is a known problem -- especially on luxury cars. If you're ever been read the fine print on a European car rental, they usually prohibit driving nice cars into Italy. FWIW, the lot where I parked my Opel Vectra for a night seemed perfectly safe. The only annoyance is that they don't calculate a "day" using a 24 hour clock: if you park at noon on Thursday and come back at noon on Friday, you pay for 2 days.
Old Dec 17, 08, 3:29 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
bdemaria, perhaps we should just keep our mouths closed and allow them to stay in Mestre. They'll learn from their own mistakes and wish they had listened to us. They've all received fair warning.
One last time, Mestre is a horrible, filthy, and dangerous place. It is a large city with a massive population of very poor, unemployed immigrants from former communist eastern European nations, drug addicts, and thugs. If we as residents of the area wouldn't go there, why would you? Just because you've driven around by the train station and seen there are other hotels and it didn't seem all that bad to you, does not make it a safe place.
Old Dec 17, 08, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dg4255 View Post
bdemaria, perhaps we should just keep our mouths closed and allow them to stay in Mestre. They'll learn from their own mistakes and wish they had listened to us. They've all received fair warning.
One last time, Mestre is a horrible, filthy, and dangerous place. It is a large city with a massive population of very poor, unemployed immigrants from former communist eastern European nations, drug addicts, and thugs. If we as residents of the area wouldn't go there, why would you? Just because you've driven around by the train station and seen there are other hotels and it didn't seem all that bad to you, does not make it a safe place.
Well, have you considered that you locals might have an anti-Mestre bias? Perhaps one based on not actually visiting the area? I mean, read the tripadvisor reviews. I didn't get through all of them, but I didn't see ANY safety concerns. My experience with tripadvisor is that hotels in unsafe areas get TERRIBLE reviews.

And, as I say, I recently walked a couple blocks from the parking lot to the Mestre station. Having grown up in NYC during a worse era, I know something about urban safety. That area is reasonably safe. Now whether it's a desirable place to stay, well, that's another story.
Old Dec 17, 08, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Exclamation

iahphx, I'm sorry to see that you've inadvertently walked into this. In my opinion, the worst criticism that I would level at Mestre is that it's boring. The critics here could have stopped at that. I believe that their criticism is way over the top.

I have stayed there twice in high season when it was much, much cheaper than staying in Venice. We stayed at the Best Western near the station, and it was one of the more pleasant travel surprises we have ever had. It wasn't quaint or historic - it was plain on the outside - which we could see in its listing photo (which gave us some anxiety before we arrived). But the room was ultra-modern, scandinavian design with blonde wood floors, platform beds and built-in appointments, and blessed ample air conditioning. Not "authentic" to be sure, but quite a nice refuge. Although it was a block from the station, we never heard or felt a train, and they went through every few minutes. We walked a couple of blocks to do our laundry, down a mainstreet that reminded me a lot of where I grew up (small businesses). And did I say it was much cheaper?

In fact, as I recall, when we stayed there during the summer of hell (weather - 2003?) there was simply no place to be had on the island that wasn't exorbitant. That availability/price circumstance can occur to varying degrees anytime. People shouldn't be made to fear the place.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: