Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Leading Hotels of the World - $19.28 a night (reg $500-$2000)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Leading Hotels of the World - $19.28 a night (reg $500-$2000)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by joelfreak
Problem with this vs the Hoxton is that this hit sites like slickdeals, consumerist and other bargain sites, whereas they wouldnt know what the Hoxton is. :-) Someone still has to get it, but I think the odds got a little tighter.
Hi all,

From The Hoxton's website:
During our last sale we had the largest number of hits ever, with over 500,000 people trying to book the rooms and all 1000 sold out within 19 minutes

This is data from one of the earlier Hoxton £1 promotions, so as the $19.28 offer will get a lot more publicity then we're in for a very tough ride!!
The Hoxton offer was detailed on Moneysavingexpert.com - a massively advertised UK site, and hotukdeals.com, bargainspy.com and loads of others so it got a massive amount of publicity in the UK (obviously the $19.28 offer is worldwide though).

GOOD LUCK!
Caroline
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: Various memberships
Maybe we should start a sweepstake about:

What time the website crashes or how many minutes it takes to sell out!

It will be interesting!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Maybe we should start a sweepstake about:

What time the website crashes or how many minutes it takes to sell out!

It will be interesting!
I would hope that the servers running the LHW site are able to handle more traffic than that of Hoxton, a nice but small hotel that on ordinary days probably doesn't need much more than a TI-83 calculator to handle the incoming traffic.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:06 am

Programs: SAS, Lufthansa
LHW management has never hit me as being as high a tier as LHW hotels themselves generally are. Hopefully there technology management is much better than it was a couple of years ago.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:24 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I'm finidng this promotion mentioned at numerous travel and bargain websites. I have a feeling many more than our FT community know about this potential deal.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:01 pm

Central Standard Time

Just double checking - 9:00 AM CST?????? Oct. 1

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:05 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by MaryAO
Just double checking - 9:00 AM CST?????? Oct. 1

Thanks
http://www.lhw.com/1928_SIGNUP.aspx?ext=1928 has the time listed. If you need to offset it, may I suggest http://www.time.gov/
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone else hoping to get incredible value in Europe's most expensive hotel city?

It'll be a bit cold in December, but the vodka will take me through!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL, US, Starw Amex
Originally Posted by iahphx
You know, I kind of wonder about the value of this promotion to LHOTW.

Like I've always been aware of the "chain," but if you had asked me my opinion I would have said "Very nice collection of hotels that are at a price point I'm not willing to pay."

Now, because of the promo, I'm more familiar with their hotels, but I'm even more convinced that the regular room rates they offer are stratospheric.

In other words, how does it boost sales to advertise to people who won't be buying their luxury product unless it is bargain-basement priced? And is anyone who actually pays $20/night likely to be a repeat customer at $500/night?

They're hoping this gets picked up by the wire services and this gets them free publicity. They may only be able to convert 0.1% of free riders to regular pricing, but they will get free media exposure and they've determined it's worth the room giveaway. Besides, the room they are giving has a low COGS (ie cost to them) if it is not rented. So, assuming the room will be empty, what is the loss they incur if they give it away? Housekeeping and laundering costs? Wear and tear? Utilities? All these are less than the $20. The fixed costs (debt service, taxes, etc) don't go up if they give you the room for $20.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I'm finidng this promotion mentioned at numerous travel and bargain websites. I have a feeling many more than our FT community know about this potential deal.
It appeared on www.consumerist.com the other day.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:14 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
It appeared on www.consumerist.com the other day.
Worse than that it is on www.hotcouponworld.com, www.slickdeals.net and www.fatwallet.com You just know the day of this deal, they will each list it in their "Hot Deals" for the day. Those 3 sites alone contributed to the recent limiting of claims of the BRG program for the Wyndham brands. They've helped many sites crash from past non-travel deals.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
I guess we will all have to book or attempt to do so within the first 2-5 min.

If the Hoxton deal lasted 19 min, this one will last a lot less!!!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:41 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I suspect this promo will last a lot longer because the servers will be overloaded and/or crash.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I suspect this promo will last a lot longer because the servers will be overloaded and/or crash.
I agree! This is a great deal but it seems like this idea is begging for the servers to crash.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Mile High Club
They're hoping this gets picked up by the wire services and this gets them free publicity. They may only be able to convert 0.1% of free riders to regular pricing, but they will get free media exposure and they've determined it's worth the room giveaway. Besides, the room they are giving has a low COGS (ie cost to them) if it is not rented. So, assuming the room will be empty, what is the loss they incur if they give it away? Housekeeping and laundering costs? Wear and tear? Utilities? All these are less than the $20. The fixed costs (debt service, taxes, etc) don't go up if they give you the room for $20.
For what its worth I know someone who runs the Planet Hollywood in Vegas. They have the estimated their cost for each room to be $24 when in use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.