Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Leading Hotels of the World - $19.28 a night (reg $500-$2000)

[EXPIRED] Leading Hotels of the World - $19.28 a night (reg $500-$2000)

Old Oct 1, 08, 4:40 pm

Marshall, your communication on the forum should be applauded! I don't think many companies would have done this and it is appreciated and shows your company's dedication to customer satisfaction.

I look forward to seeing the promotion again in the near future.
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mcalder View Post
This is Marshall Calder again, Sr. Vice President of Marketing at The Leading Hotels of the World.

In my last posting I explained that following the failure of our website this morning, we are inviting all registrants to particiapte in the promotion via e-mail. Indeed, we have already begun issuing invitations.

My previous posting engendered lots of dialogue on FT and it raised a number of questions that I would like to address:

1. The e-mail promotion is only open to those who registered prior to 12:00 noon GMT today.

2. The nearly 6,000 rooms shall be awarded on a a first come first server basis while supplies last.

3. All incoming e-mails shall be pocessed in the order in which they are received. E-mail server capacity has been enhanced to accommodate a large influx of e-mails.

4. Because we are offering respondents the choice of several hotels and dates, each e-mail shall be processed manually. Consequently, there will be no auto reply and it could take up to 7 days to receive a reply.

5. Duplicate e-mails shall be disqualified

6. Only e-mails received on October 2, 2008 between 12:00 noon GMT and 13:20 GMT shall be eligible. (check your time zone convertor for GMT equivilents)

7. The promotion is only available through e-mail at [email protected]. It is not available through any of The Leading Hotels' voice centers or sales offices.

8. Respondents need not include credit card information on their e-mails. LHW will contact everyone whose reservation is confirmed to obtain deposit details.

9. Only one e-mail per customer. Duplicate e-mails shall be disqualified.

Once again we apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused. We shall continue to monitor FT and will do our utmost to address other questions that arise.

Good luck tomorrow.

Regards,

Marshall Calder
There is one major problem with not allowing duplicate emails. How do we know if you have successfully received our initial email ?????
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:41 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
What I want to know is whether other top level hotel chains will try to capitalize on this PR fiasco. I'll gladly pay $150 a night for a NY hotel (I realize that's extremely low for NYC) with Four Seasons or at one of the Kimpton locations there to avoid this on, postponed, postponed again promotion that may provide with nothing in the end. While I'd love to try the LHW hotel and had planned to pay and extend any stay into 3 or 4 nights, it's becoming increasingly clear that it may not be worth the hassle.

Last edited by ArizonaGuy; Oct 1, 08 at 4:47 pm
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:45 pm
Community Director

This is Marshall Calder, SVP of Marketing at The Leading Hotels again.

I regret to advise you that we have decided to postpone the $19.28 e-mail promotion scheduled for October 2nd.

We developed a back-up plan for the 150,000 persons who registered for the promotion prior to the failure of our website this morning. Unfortunately, aspects of the plan were met with some confusion over e-mail procedures and timing. Moreover, we became increasingly concerned that the volume of e-mails from non-registered persons could be great enough to cause another outage. Since we do not wish to disappoint anyone again, we shall re-tool the $19.28 promotion and communicate the details to all registrants within the next week.

Finally, I wish to thank our friends in FT. While the criticism that was directed towards us was deserved, the insights, suggestions and commentary is extremely helpful and appreciated.

Regards,

Marshall Calder
I think this is a sound decision. It is very classy of you to make the hard decision, then return to advise us. Thank you.

I also think your press release is classy. LHW took full ownership, apologizing to everyone. I admire you for doing so.

We look forward to the relaunch of the promo.
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:46 pm

9. Only one e-mail per customer. Duplicate e-mails shall be disqualified.

AUGH! Does this mean that the customer will be disqualified or all subsequent emails after the initial email will be disqualified, meaning the first received is still valid ?????
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I think this is a sound decision. It is very classy of you to make the hard decision, then return to advise us. Thank you.

We look forward to the relaunch of the promo.
^ ^ ^ Agree 100%.

Most of their competitors wouldn't even give you the time of day if you whined about a botched promo.
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Mr Calder,

Thanks for coming back to us and explaining the decision to postpone the offer. I think that makes a lot of sense in the circumstances. I appreciate this must have been a difficult day for the management at LHW. Perhaps one solution is to hold a lottery for the rooms? Give people a period of a few days in which to lodge their applications and randomly select them. May be even fairer than awarding those hammering away at reload or sending emails at t=0. Anyway, good luck with the rest of the promotion and thanks for posting today.
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:55 pm

I regret to advise you that we have decided to postpone the $19.28 e-mail promotion scheduled for October 2nd.

We developed a back-up plan for the 150,000 persons who registered for the promotion prior to the failure of our website this morning. Unfortunately, aspects of the plan were met with some confusion over e-mail procedures and timing. Moreover, we became increasingly concerned that the volume of e-mails from non-registered persons could be great enough to cause another outage. Since we do not wish to disappoint anyone again, we shall re-tool the $19.28 promotion and communicate the details to all registrants within the next week.

Finally, I wish to thank our friends in FT. While the criticism that was directed towards us was deserved, the insights, suggestions and commentary is extremely helpful and appreciated.

Regards,

Marshall Calder

Good choice granted this frustrating experience. You will now have a chance to rethink this entire strategy with the hope to regain respect and customer satisfaction. This entire thread is worth $$$$ of consulting knowledge and "what if" scenarios that were obviously not thought of.
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:56 pm

Programs: * A
Thumbs up Smart Decision from LHW

Regards,

Marshall Calder
^ Mr. Calder MCalder IMHO (In my humble opinion) this is the most sensible decision from LHW. Great job on the damage control. We hope you'll explore more of FT after today's introduction as we are a great bunch ! Looking forward to the next round of notes from you all at LHW.
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, UA-PP, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-1K
just emailed mine in, lets see what happens
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Accor Platinum (former IHG Plat Ambass)

{.....}

Regards,

Marshall Calder

Crowdsourcing at its finest !! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing)
Old Oct 1, 08, 4:59 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Marshall, what you did was very brave and please do disregard the criticism from the newbies.

I am still amazed, to be frank. Kudos to you.
Old Oct 1, 08, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanp View Post
just emailed mine in, lets see what happens
Huh?
First of all, the e-mail entry was scheduled for TOMORROW, October 2, beginning at 12:00 GMT.
Secondly, that e-mail entry method has been suspended.
Old Oct 1, 08, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Thanks for letting us know and welcome to FT. Quite a day you must be having.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by delaying this until you can do it right.
Old Oct 1, 08, 5:02 pm

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
Mr. Calder, thank you for coming to FT and setting the record straight. I believe most companies in this day and age could care less if such a stunt failed and very, very few would allow their execs/employees access to Internet message boards to reach out directly to customers. It appears LHW is trying to rectify the situation and, while it may not be satisfactory for some of us, you deserve credit for doing so.

It seems as if some people are trying to make the e-mail situation harder than it is. You don't know how to fill out the form? Give me a break! Don't like the first-come, first-served philosphy? Isn't that how normal hotel bookings work?

I will be submitting my form tomorrow at 8AM. If I get to stay in one of these hotels that I would have a hard time paying for on my 21-year old budget, I'll be very happy. If not, there's always another day.

Edit: Well, I won't be sending my e-mail tomorrow at 8AM but I am looking forward to seeing the reworked program and staying at one of LHW's hotels.

Search this Thread