Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Leading Hotels of the World - $19.28 a night (reg $500-$2000)

[EXPIRED] Leading Hotels of the World - $19.28 a night (reg $500-$2000)

Old Oct 1, 08, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
I believe they might want you to fill out the dates you want first..... and then check flexible if you are willing to do that if your choices are not available.

That way, if you put 2 days in your first choices... that tells them you want two nights.
thank you, this makes sense. anyway, I really doubt they will process all those forms in one week, one after another, checking availability and alternatives for everybody...
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bgmvp, the document is fine, your download didnt finish. >
"pfw3oD7r.doc.part"

King Chung Huang, when did i call anyone names? i said the link is there. and it was. my email was the same as everyone else who didnt see it. all text with, at one point, a long string starting with mailto, and including the url to the file. i simply read the entire text. i am neither saying, nor implying anything about those who didnt see it. the only thing that i found to be a bummer was that if i was one of the few people who saw it, it would have been nice if the promo had been earlier, not postponed until tomorrow.

first 2 emails >

We are deeply sorry for today's disruption of the USD 19.28 sale. Demand for this promotion far surpassed our expectations, and due to the exorbitant amount of traffic to www.lhw.com/1928, we were unable to accommodate travel requests. Nonetheless, we intend on making every effort to honor the offer on a first-come, first-serve basis, and have devised a plan to enable you to apply for the USD 19.28 rate. (The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd. makes no representation or guarantee that it will be able to fulfill your request.)

Please see the attached form for details. As a reminder, below is a complete list of the hotels participating in this promotion. Thank You,
mailto:[email protected]?subject=1928%20Participation%2 0form&body=Please%20complete%20the%20participation %20form%20http://www.lhw.com/LCEmailImages/CMP/1928_email_English.doc%20and%20return%20the%20form %20to%[email protected]

Thank You,

The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd.

Participating Hotels in Africa
3rd email >
We are deeply sorry for today's disruption of the USD 19.28 sale. Demand for this promotion far surpassed our expectations, and due to the exorbitant amount of traffic to www.lhw.com/1928, we were unable to accommodate travel requests. Nonetheless, we intend on making every effort to honor the offer on a first-come, first-serve basis, and have devised a plan to enable you to apply for the USD 19.28 rate. (The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd. makes no representation or guarantee that it will be able to fulfill your request.)

Please click the link below to access the form for details.
http://www.lhw.com/promoload/1928_email_English.doc

As a reminder, below is a complete list of the hotels participating in this promotion.

Thank You,

The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd.

Participating Hotels in Africa
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Ambassador, Silvercar
Complete lack of planning

The senior executives at LHW really need to understand what a complete failure this promotion is, and steps should be taken to overhaul (replace) the entire marketing department.

First, according to Mr. Calder, they did not anticipate the response received. In today's world of blogs, viral marketing, etc., it is very short-sighted to not anticipate an overwhelming response. There was no planning or load-testing, or conversations with the ISP to prepare for bandwidth/server constraints?

Second, the change has been made to an email submission process, which now strains bandwidth again as all email will be sent at the same time, and supposedly the environment has been scaled to accommodate the load. I truly doubt this has been done. Further, services installed and configured would most likely have to be shut off (Sender Verification) - otherwise, three times the email has to be handled by the servers and ISP. These are additional costs as the IT department and ISP have to attempt to accommodate the poor planning of the marketing department.

At this point, there really is nothing LHW can do to repair the situation. Tomorrow will be a mess and there will, at some point, be some rooms allocated at the $19.28 price. No one will truly know how many, or if his/her email actually made it through the process.

One other bit of information: prior to this contest, the existing LHW.com site has been slow for months. Most of the performance degradation occurs when a basic query is made, supporting the theory that the entire infrastructure is fragile.

In the future, LHW should partner with a company that knows how internet marketing works, and let the professionals do the job right. At least I have the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts as a superior alternative.
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Accor Platinum (former IHG Plat Ambass)
Question

Originally Posted by tmhwk View Post
thank you, this makes sense. anyway, I really doubt they will process all those forms in one week, one after another, checking availability and alternatives for everybody...

Basic admin question:

Are they going to personally telephone 3000 people who managed to qualify for 2 nights for the discounted rate to get credit card details off them to secure the reservation ?
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by est-gratuite View Post
Seriously people we have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a room tomorrow at this discounted rate.

This promotion was ALL OVER the internet. A search on the various google country pages shows it was mentioned on travel and news websites from the Netherlands, Dubai, France, Japan, Brazil, Germany, China, Italy, even in lowly populated Norway !!! (http://www.klikk.no/reise/luksus/article331636.ece)

The whole world and their dogs knew about it.
I agree. If it's true that 150,000 registered, I'd guess they'll get no more than 20,000 "conforming" emails tomorrow (perhaps still enough to crash their email account, though ).

The downside to not requiring a credit card is that they will get many "non-serious" requests. Especially on the "flexible date" option. It will kind of be like "make me an offer -- no risk involved." This perhaps penalizes the more serious "contestants" willing to commit to specific dates. I kind of think they should fill the specific date requests first, and then leave any remainders to the flexible date folks.
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
If I were them, I'd take the first 6000 email through the system and block everything else. Have an automated response sent to people telling them that their message was not in the frist 6000 and will not make it into the system.
What would that accomplish?

We know that somewhere between 3,000 and 6,000 reservations will be made. But, not everyone wants the exact same location and dates, so some rooms will go quicker than other. The rooms that email #100 wants might not be available, but the a room that email #100,000 wants still might be open. As jpdx mentioned earlier, they really will need the staff around to read through almost every submission until every single room has been booked... not just the first 6,000 emails received.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1 View Post
I'm curious to know how well this will be handeled tomorrow by LHW. But it can only be better than today.
I will predict how it will go..

1. they change the autoresponder message exactly at 8am EST
2. the emails will go into their mail server will be be storing them (assume their IT says they can handle this without a problem)

They did not figure out anything beyond that, so I don't think there will be anything spectacular to see tomorrow. Everyone will send their emails in and that is all that will happen.

At this time, they are calling every temp agency within 100 miles of their offices to get some cheap and plentiful labor. They will be manually sifting through a few million word document email attachment forms that have no standard formatting (not machine-readable).

Expect more problems and excitement in a few days when they realize they have no idea how to handle any of it.

This is a terribly run promotion from both a marketing and technology perspective.
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, AC Aeroplan Elite 50K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
King Chung Huang, when did i call anyone names? i said the link is there. and it was. my email was the same as everyone else who didnt see it. all text with, at one point, a long string starting with mailto, and including the url to the file. i simply read the entire text. i am neither saying, nor implying anything about those who didnt see it. the only thing that i found to be a bummer was that if i was one of the few people who saw it, it would have been nice if the promo had been earlier, not postponed until tomorrow.
Kagehitokiri, I'm not suggesting you called anyone names! I'm trying to explain why some saw a link and some didn't. Your email client rendered the plain text version with the link; my email client rendered the HTML version which does not have a link. There are two different versions of the message encoded in the emails.
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA1K
As somebody previously stated and I have duly observed, sending an e-mail today to [email protected] results in a simple "out of office" e-mail in response. Could they be using a basic vacation program and plan to lift it at noon GMT tomorrow?

I am going to write a simple script that will e-mail them my form every second. That way when the vacation program is lifted, I might have a chance at getting my e-mail through. Heck, I might as well run multiple threads of that program on my computer. Heck, why not run from multiple machines, too? Heck, maybe on hundreds of machines...
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. they said theyre contacting you via email within 1 week. i would imagine they will make a webform for cc info etc. or have you call a number yourself, etc.

2. FHR requires amex plat/cent. amex plat costs ~$500/yr in the USA, and in some countries it is invitation only.

3. hmy1, they said multiple emails = disqualification

4. didnt they say 250K people registered? 250K * .2MB = 50GB. and the email submissions are only open to those who registered. some of whom may not submit.

5. King Chung Huang, i guess i misunderstood your original post, i thought you said your email was also all text.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 1, 08 at 3:32 pm
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:31 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
does anyone have the form????

update: got the form already. thanks!

Last edited by carsonheim; Oct 1, 08 at 3:54 pm
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:32 pm

Programs: Anything that gives nice sign up bonuses
Thumbs up

I think that FT should give an award for post #1000!^
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jn024 View Post
I will predict how it will go..

1. they change the autoresponder message exactly at 8am EST
2. the emails will go into their mail server will be be storing them (assume their IT says they can handle this without a problem)

They did not figure out anything beyond that, so I don't think there will be anything spectacular to see tomorrow. Everyone will send their emails in and that is all that will happen.

At this time, they are calling every temp agency within 100 miles of their offices to get some cheap and plentiful labor. They will be manually sifting through a few million word document email attachment forms that have no standard formatting (not machine-readable).

Expect more problems and excitement in a few days when they realize they have no idea how to handle any of it.

This is a terribly run promotion from both a marketing and technology perspective.
Perhaps they're planning on calling in a bunch of temps, renting temporary space, setting up the various necessary workstations, and arranging for the significant outlay of cash for this type of operation. Or, as any knowledgeable global company would do these days, they've already called an offshoring company in the Philippines, India, or elsewhere...
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:36 pm

I never even received a form - the email had no links or attachments
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

request lock and new thread with form linked in first post...

Search this Thread