Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Leading Hotels of the World - $19.28 a night (reg $500-$2000)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Leading Hotels of the World - $19.28 a night (reg $500-$2000)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: Various memberships
Originally Posted by iahphx
So, realistically, what we have here is the garden-variety internet promo screw-up.
Don't be silly this is the internet - it is a huge conspiracy organised by ................... (insert your choice here).
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:18 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
So, realistically, what we have here is the garden-variety internet promo screw-up. Somebody concocts a promotion, gets IT to confirm they "can do it," response swamps site, promo crashes, management has to figure out what to do next.

So far, it would seem, the LHW folks aren't bad people. Just in a bit over their heads. I mean, if you were running a travel company, and some marketing guy came to you and said, "Hey, let's run a $20 hotel promo on our website," you would ask (among many other things) "are you sure we can handle this?" I know I would be VERY skeptical my IT guys could get it done. I mean, how many others have crashed and burned on this sort of thing?

But that said, there does seem to be some initial interest by LHW to make this "right." The problem is that doing so is virtually impossible. Their represented properties aren't going to want to part with too many $20 rooms, and there are probably tens of thousands of disappointed customers.

I would think the best way to salvage their reputations is to launch a broad promo offering $99 or $129 rooms for these weeks, but even that is probably a hard sell to their hotels.

As always, it will be interesting to see how this train wreck ends.
At least the 6000 rooms should be given out in a fair way. Apart from that they should offer something to the registrated promo users in the range of 49-99$.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:19 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Corrected to be Ted [email protected] (not Ted Tang as below)

I also sent an email to Ted Tang, President and CEO, copying the others listed from the various FT threads. Oh how I used to hate have angry customers send emails to the President and copying his staff....at least should ensure I receive a response of some kind.

Here's a link to all the LHW Executives. Appears just first initial and last name @lhw will work.

http://corp.lhw.com/default.aspx?page=127

FYI, while typing this, received email verification checker from Mr Tang and replied, then received confirmation that my email was accepted.

Bigshaker

Last edited by Bigshaker; Oct 1, 2008 at 8:40 am
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: Ozark - Tin; Eastern - Lead; Local Hoosegow - Copper;

I would think the best way to salvage their reputations is to launch a broad promo offering $99 or $129 rooms for these weeks, but even that is probably a hard sell to their hotels.

I asked that they keep the same $19,28 offer, but with a 365 day window.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
So, realistically, what we have here is the garden-variety internet promo screw-up. Somebody concocts a promotion, gets IT to confirm they "can do it," response swamps site, promo crashes, management has to figure out what to do next.
Good analysis.

Interestingly, though this "garden-variety internet promo screw-up" () actually required pre-registration, unlike many other "garden-variety internet promo screw-ups."

So, conceivably, they should have been able to fairly accurately predict and plan for the onslaught of internet traffic.

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, LHW management can/will do.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:24 am

I think it is a very good idea to have our frustration heard. I hope something comes out of emails sent to Management.

QUOTE=Bigshaker;10452893]I also sent an email to Ted Tang, President and CEO, copying the others listed from the various FT threads. Oh how I used to hate have angry customers send emails to the President and copying his staff....at least should ensure I receive a response of some kind.

Here's a link to all the LHW Executives. Appears just first initial and last name @lhw will work.

FYI, while typing this, received email verification checker from Mr Tang and replied, then received confirmation that my email was accepted.

Bigshaker[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)

So far, it would seem, the LHW folks aren't bad people. Just in a bit over their heads. I mean, if you were running a travel company, and some marketing guy came to you and said, "Hey, let's run a $20 hotel promo on our website," you would ask (among many other things) "are you sure we can handle this?" I know I would be VERY skeptical my IT guys could get it done. I mean, how many others have crashed and burned on this sort of thing?

But that said, there does seem to be some initial interest by LHW to make this "right." The problem is that doing so is virtually impossible. Their represented properties aren't going to want to part with too many $20 rooms, and there are probably tens of thousands of disappointed customers.

My suggestion would be this - everyone gets to enter their preferred hotel and dates into a booking mask (either one hotel for two nights, or two hotels for a night each) by a certain time. If at the end of the registration period, no one else entered the same dates you did, you get the hotel immediately. Otherwise, make it a lottery between those who wanted the same hotel on the same dates.

If there are nights left over because nobody asked for those dates, publish the dates and let every registered user who hasn't gotten a room yet participate in a second round. Same rules as above for the allocation.

And so on until all 6000 room nights are allocated.

Only e-mail addresses already registered for the original promotion would be eligible for the new attempt.

Seems like the fairest way to distribute what is out there.

If I had to sort out this mess, that's how I would do it.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Talking

Here's how it went:

Sales rep: I've got a great idea ! Lets do a $19.28 promotion for 80 minutes.

Finance manager: How much will it cost us to beef up our servers so that all those people who registered their email addresses will be able to log onto the website at the same time ?

Sales rep: We can buy some unused bandwidth from Amazon's christmas capacity for about $ 10,000 per minute (give or take)

Finance manager: Are you out of your mind ! We won't even break even !

Sales rep: No probs, we can bring cost down by only considering those internet users who will log on in Europe and the middle east...what idiot is going to be awake to book a hotel room at 5am in the USA or at 1am in the morning in New Zealand anyway ??

Last edited by est-gratuite; Oct 1, 2008 at 8:40 am Reason: grammar
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Interestingly, though this "garden-variety internet promo screw-up" () actually required pre-registration, unlike many other "garden-variety internet promo screw-ups."

So, conceivably, they should have been able to fairly accurately predict and plan for the onslaught of internet traffic.
Yeah, that tweak was their contribution to the genre.

You do sort of wonder why someone yesterday in IT didn't look at the number of registrations and say, "Guys, I don't think we can handle this number of hits." They could have at least postponed the promo.

As I've said, it's not like they are the first company to have one of these promos blow up on them.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: Ozark - Tin; Eastern - Lead; Local Hoosegow - Copper;
Originally Posted by Bigshaker
I also sent an email to Ted Tang, President and CEO, copying the others listed from the various FT threads. Oh how I used to hate have angry customers send emails to the President and copying his staff....at least should ensure I receive a response of some kind.

Bigshaker
[email protected] was not a valid email address...
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

teng not tang
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Good analysis.

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, LHW management can/will do.

-FlyerBeek
As I pointed out in my email to a couple of the executives, there are tools to throttle and meter traffic that are well known to most IT professionals.

Prime example would be a certain large ticketing agency uses a certain appliance to fairly meter and throttle their traffic when 40 million people try to buy U2 tickets in the same five minute window...
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Rexly
Dear Executive team ,
The 1928 promotion , what a phenomenal fiasco!!!
I have stayed at Sheraton hotels over the years and was very much looking forward to the possibility of enjoying the hospitality of your brand.
While I have stayed at the St. Regis in NY and SF, I was ceratinly willing to consider an LHW property after this promotion lead me to review the websites of the participating hotels.
BUT......... I'm afraid after reading all the postings on FlyerTalk.com, my concerns about the mismanagement of this promotion have been confirmed. Instead of encouraging my patronage, your company has effectively ensured I will likely NEVER stay in an LHW property and further more will actively avoid them now due to the frustration of this experience.
I sincerely hope there will be some form of consideration for all those who were foolish enough to waste thier time pursuing your promotion in good faith. Especially those of us on the west coast of the US, where we got up before 5AM, to attempt to reserve a room.
Thank you for your time , Rexly

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863668
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:39 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by bgmvp
[email protected] was not a valid email address...
Sorry, it was [email protected] not ttang.

Bigshaker.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG, MG, HHG, AA Gold, AMEX PLAT,
Response from Leader's Club Customer Service

Just got off the phone with Customer Service for the Leader's Club. They informed me that they'll be sending out an email to all the people who registered for the promo by the end of the day. Let's keep an eye out for it since they said it'll have another offer for us and the chance to take advantage of the promo, afterall.

Their website experienced a traffic spike around 100x the norm from this promo which means their IT Dept totally underestimated the response they'd receive. They claimed to be hosted in collocation facility (data center) with their 800#'s pointing to a call center. Being in telecom, that kinda shocked me since this means their fiasco could've easily been avoided if LHW spent enough money on bandwidth and hosted the site on a real server... guess, they didn't think of redundancy for their main website... but then again, I think most of us saw this one coming a few days ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.