Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Leading Hotels of the World - $19.28 a night (reg $500-$2000)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Leading Hotels of the World - $19.28 a night (reg $500-$2000)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Hey an hour is not nitpicky on this 80 minute sale that's likely to be WAY oversubscribed! I saw that too and figured I'd double check the EXACT time a day or so before the event. They do seem to be counting down to the time on their website, so if there are no snafus, it should be predictable.
If the countdown on their website is accurate, this promotion will be starting at Midnight ( 12 A.M. ) GMT on October 1. Or is my timekeeping math bad ?

BTW, thanks very much OP for the link to this promotion.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Thank you, kaz, for posting this. ^
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
LHOTW run from okay to fantastic...

So which ones on the list are the fantastic ones?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by Ozchinois
Thanks Kaz. I suspect though that the lhw system will crash.

Whoa, 1 minute for the SIGN-UP page to load just now - not a good sign

Thanks again, OP! ^
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:04 pm
iff

Thanks for sharing, OP, very nice! I'm wondering about the other taxes and fees... when they calculate the VAT, for example, do they base it on the $19.28 price or the regular price?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by thebobmc
If the countdown on their website is accurate, this promotion will be starting at Midnight ( 12 A.M. ) GMT on October 1.
The website says:

At 12 noon GMT (8 a.m. EST/Eastern Standard Time) on October 1, 2008
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iff
Thanks for sharing, OP, very nice! I'm wondering about the other taxes and fees... when they calculate the VAT, for example, do they base it on the $19.28 price or the regular price?
I'm pretty sure that VAT can only be applied to the price paid, not some hypothetical price.

But I could be wrong.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know, I kind of wonder about the value of this promotion to LHOTW.

Like I've always been aware of the "chain," but if you had asked me my opinion I would have said "Very nice collection of hotels that are at a price point I'm not willing to pay."

Now, because of the promo, I'm more familiar with their hotels, but I'm even more convinced that the regular room rates they offer are stratospheric.

In other words, how does it boost sales to advertise to people who won't be buying their luxury product unless it is bargain-basement priced? And is anyone who actually pays $20/night likely to be a repeat customer at $500/night?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
In other words, how does it boost sales to advertise to people who won't be buying their luxury product unless it is bargain-basement priced? And is anyone who actually pays $20/night likely to be a repeat customer at $500/night?
I agree. It could just be a marketing gimic like so many others. Get people to your web site, have people add a couple night to there bookings, use more hotel services or just spread word of mouth about the property. And, and a big AND, they will capture a ton of email addresses from willing parties to spam the hell out of.

It will come down to what date range this offer is good for and how many rooms will be reserved for this 'rate class'. Oh, and I guess its important to know if the servers can come anywhere close to handling the demand. My guess in the 80 minutes this will be up, the average person may get one request in befor the servers crashing or they get frustrated waiting on reloading pages that time out. I hope I'm wrong, but so many companies underestimate response and system capacity and crash and burn on days like this.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notsosmart
I'm pretty sure that VAT can only be applied to the price paid, not some hypothetical price.

But I could be wrong.
No you are right. VAT is only applicable to the final price.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notsosmart
LHOTW run from okay to fantastic...

So which ones on the list are the fantastic ones?
I would say:

Langham Hotel Hong Kong
Banyan Tree Bangkok

The Alex New York (experience can vary)

Hotel De L'Europe Amsterdam
Villa Medici Florence
Adlon Kempinski Berlin
Gleneagles Hotel Scotland
Langham London
Baltschuk Kempinski Moscow
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SK Gold
Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: IHG RA - PC Plat - SPG Plat - Hilton Diamond - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by thebobmc
If the countdown on their website is accurate, this promotion will be starting at Midnight ( 12 A.M. ) GMT on October 1. Or is my timekeeping math bad ?

BTW, thanks very much OP for the link to this promotion.
I'm In Italy, so it should be GMT+1 and I just signed up at 22,45 and the countdown told me "the promotion is going to start in X days and 3 hours" ...which means at midnight GMT not at noon GMT
Am I counting wrong?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by miss1K
Good luck to all ... after booking the hotel you'll have to find flights for those dates ... and you'll have to pay whatever price they're asking for ... it could be worth it, though.
And I'll use up a US $99 companion certificate if I score a hotel room, so it'll still be a savings on airfare. Even if 1 ticket PHX-JFK costs me $700 R/T, the companion ticket will come out to about $125 so still won't be too horrible.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I get the chance, I'll just book the hotel in DC. Haven't been in the capital in like forever, and an election year seems like a good time for a visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.