Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Has Wyndham Changed their BRG Program with prepaid rates no longer required?

Has Wyndham Changed their BRG Program with prepaid rates no longer required?

Old Apr 27, 08, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Question Has Wyndham Changed their BRG Program with prepaid rates no longer required?

Not sure when this change took place (sometime in the past 2 weeks), but supposedly (according to some of my readers) you can now claim ANY Wyndham room. You no longer have to prepay to file a BRG claim.

Both rooms must be the same terms and type in every respect.

The rules for the "New WWW Guarantee" can be found here:

http://www.wyndhampromotions.com/webmatch/terms.asp

EDIT/DISCLAIMER:

Some users have reported that nothing has changed. As I have never really followed the Wyndham BRG in detail, and never submitted a claim of my own, I am basing this "new" feature of being able to claim against fully refundable Webrates on the experiences of the readers of my blog who contacted me to announce the change.

Traditionally, Wyndham BRG's were only possible on Non-Refundable, Prepaid Webrates. Multiple readers of my blog have reported that they have had multiple successful claims on the refundable, non-prepaid, "Best Available" rates.

YMMV, and be careful. Please don't blame me if things don't work out, I am a mere messenger.

Last edited by roadtripman; Apr 28, 08 at 4:10 pm Reason: clarification/disclaimer
Old Apr 27, 08, 6:15 pm

This would be good news. I LOVE the Triprewards BRG, I use it extensively for a night here or there on the way somewhere else.

My question is, it seems that the T&C refer to:

"The WWW Guarantee applies to a lower Comparable Rate with booking rules that are similar to the booking rules of the Wyndham.com WEBRATES booked on a Wyndham-branded Web site."

Are there any WEBRATES that are not fully prepaid and non-refundable? Or have they expanded the WEBRATES to include Best Available Rate?

I must be missing something.

Thanks much.
Old Apr 27, 08, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bevvy5 View Post
This would be good news. I LOVE the Triprewards BRG, I use it extensively for a night here or there on the way somewhere else.

My question is, it seems that the T&C refer to:

"The WWW Guarantee applies to a lower Comparable Rate with booking rules that are similar to the booking rules of the Wyndham.com WEBRATES booked on a Wyndham-branded Web site."

Are there any WEBRATES that are not fully prepaid and non-refundable? Or have they expanded the WEBRATES to include Best Available Rate?

I must be missing something.

Thanks much.
They've expanded it, or redefined what a "webrate" is. It may just be semantics. The terms now state you have to find a same room type with the same cancellation terms on another site. I've recieved dozens of emails from people reporting positive claims using cancellable rates versus Expedia, for example.
Old Apr 27, 08, 7:38 pm

Awesome - I'm off to see if I can "upgrade" some free nights!!
Old Apr 28, 08, 2:23 am

Uhh...There is absolutely nothing different about the Terms of Service compared to how it was three months ago. I remember it as vividly the same. I don't even see anything on there that can be construed as what you say has changed. It's as if you're fabricating some non-existent discovery. If you don't believe me, go to archive.org and verify that it is exactly the same from a couple months ago.

So my words to everyone: Buyer Beware.

It may be possible that there's is an internal change in the BRG department. Though as of now, there is no external difference in the publicly-stated policy. In the future, think before you speak--I just got two webrates denied on the basis that the competing rates did not fit the cancellation policy. This mistake will cost me +$250. Thank you BRG man! I must be one of many.
Old Apr 28, 08, 2:34 am
Original Poster

While I cannot verify what the terms and conditions exactly stated before, it has been widely known that Wyndham BRGs only were possible when booking the Wyndham Webrates Non-Refundable, Prepaid room types.

You may now submit claims with refundable rates, according to my readers. My readers have stated they have booked using the refundable "Best Available Rate" and submitted claims based on this type of rate. I CANNOT verify if this is true, I can only tell you that this is what I have been told. I have no firsthand experience.

The input from my readers telling me that they have claimed successfully using Best Available (refundable, non prepaid) rates is what caused me to re-check the terms and conditions, as before, this was not possible. While the new terms and conditions are ambiguous, I base the validity on the experiences of my readers.

The Wyndham terms and conditions state that this is their "NEW WWW Guarantee".

Before attacking, perhaps you should have been wiser to not book a non-refundable reservation and then submit an invalid claim. My announcement was to notify individuals that they may book REFUNDABLE, no-money-down rooms and claim these. Therefore, it was your own error that led to your misfortune.

Last edited by roadtripman; Apr 28, 08 at 3:18 am Reason: clarification
Old Apr 28, 08, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by warm cake View Post
. This mistake will cost me +$250.
I tried the BRG with a cancellable rate and my request was rejected (Palm Springs 9/20-9/21/08).

Here is what I was sent:
We have reviewed your request and your reservation and find that you did not book a Wyndham WebRate reservation; you actually booked the cancellable rate on www.wyndham.com. The Webmatch Guarantee Program is valid only for reservations booked utilizing our Wyndham WebRates. The WebRates are fully restricted--that is they are fully prepaid at the time of booking and are non-changeable, non-cancelable and non-refundable once the reservation has been confirmed. Your current reservation can be changed or cancelled prior to arrival and you did not have to prepay at the time of booking. Due to the fact that you do not have a WebRate reservation booked, we cannot process your request and we must deny it at this time.

I then cancelled the cancellable room with Wyndham. I'm not sure why you can't cancel if you booked the cancellable rate Warm Cake.

I've now booked the WEBRATE uncancellable rate with Wyndham and have submitted the BRG for the same dates. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the website and info Roadtripman.^
Old Apr 28, 08, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rc408 View Post
I tried the BRG with a cancellable rate and my request was rejected (Palm Springs 9/20-9/21/08).
Very interesting and unexpected. It seems there is something more to this story than meets the eye.

I've had several readers tell me "pshh, you can get claims approved on the cancellable Best Available Rates, what are you talking about?". They didn't further elaborate how or why.

In talking with one of my most trusted contributors, he's told me that he's heard of this happening, but that the claims were initially rejected but were processed on the second round. According to him, it largely depends on the agent involved.

In any case, it doesn't hurt to try. But, it looks like my announcement may have been premature and based on bum information. This is a true YMMV situation, I think. Regardless, I'll be considering it to be the same terms and conditions as before from herein on the blog, most disappointedly.

EDIT: All signs are pointing to a string of valid claims, probably from the same employee at Wyndham (possibly new) that didn't know the rules about the BRG. This looks like a mistake at best.

Last edited by roadtripman; Apr 28, 08 at 4:13 pm Reason: new information
Old Jul 21, 08, 3:55 pm

Angry BEWARE of BRG For Wyndham Properties!!

I tried to do a BRG match for a Wyndham property. I found the rate at GTAHOTELS.COM $25 cheaper. I received an email saying that the claim was denied since GTAHOTELS.com cancellation policy allows you to cancel the reservation. This is absurd!! So, now I am stuck with a non-refundable rate, paying $25 more. How can they call this a Best rate??? It's false advertisement.

I feel I was cheated

From now on, I will have to think twice before I book any night on Wyndham.com!

So, all of you, make sure that EXACTLY the same rules (including cancellation policy) apply to rate at the competitors site.

Also, I can confirm that they WILL NOT match a best rate that can been cancelled on their website. You MUST book the WEBRATE.

Last edited by alexiou; Jul 21, 08 at 3:57 pm Reason: Error
Old Jul 21, 08, 4:38 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by alexiou View Post
I tried to do a BRG match for a Wyndham property. I found the rate at GTAHOTELS.COM $25 cheaper. I received an email saying that the claim was denied since GTAHOTELS.com cancellation policy allows you to cancel the reservation. This is absurd!! So, now I am stuck with a non-refundable rate, paying $25 more. How can they call this a Best rate??? It's false advertisement.

I feel I was cheated

So, all of you, make sure that EXACTLY the same rules (including cancellation policy) apply to rate at the competitors site.

Also, I can confirm that they WILL NOT match a best rate that can been cancelled on their website. You MUST book the WEBRATE.
Email them again and complain. Or ask for a supervisor. It takes sometimes 4-5 emails. Rarely from the first time for me, but 90% cases it works.
Old Jul 21, 08, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexiou View Post

I feel I was cheated

I'd love it if I could say to you that you were not in error here, but its important (moreso with Wyndham BRGs than Wyndham Rewards BRGs) to make sure the cancellation policies are identical. GTAHotels offers a refundable rate, which understandably cannot be matched to a Wyndham nonrefundable rate. This stipulation is clearly in the terms and conditions.

You could try to email a supervisor, but you were clearly in the wrong here, and I can almost guarantee that they won't be very sympathetic. After all, you're supposed to use the guarantee as a method of keeping them accountable for price differences you find after booking a stay that you would have bought anyways.

If I were you, I'd call the property and explain that you booked a non-refundable in error and your plans have changed, your grandma died, etc etc and they will in most cases be lenient and cancel your reservation. They shouldn't have charged your card any money yet, as they do this upon check-out. But, they have full right to take your money.

Best of luck
Dave, The Best Rate Guarantee Blog
Old Jul 22, 08, 8:35 am

Thank you for all your comments. I do understand the policy for the best rate and I am not saying that it was not followed. However, I believe that this policy is flawed - why would anyone want to get locked into a reservation, when they can get the same exact room for less and can still cancel it?? It all comes back to very misleading use of "Best Available Rates". I guess they assume that a non-refundable reservation will ALWAYS be less than a refundable one - which is NOT true.

Wyndham needs to revisit and correct this policy if they want my business!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: