Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

How are most mattress run deals found?

Old Aug 14, 07, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

How do folks find most of the deals posted in this forum?

E-mail alerts from various services?

Lucky chance in hunting for something else?

We're interested in finding a low cost deal or two for weekend get-aways, and any of about 4 points programs would work. I'm wondering how to start hunting for the lowest rate - date and exact location (within a region) are flexible. I routintely try orbitz.com and the chain's own sites, but aren't finding any great deals. Where else should I look?
Old Aug 15, 07, 9:48 am

I am not at all sure what you mean by "mattress run"!. The usual meaning is a series of stays at chain hotels (e.g. Hyatt, Hilton. etc.) with the sole purpose of accumulating points/stays and/or status in the chain's reward program.

If you are just looking for a cheap hotel for weekend get-aways,there are a number of options. I suggest that you start with Hotwire.com and then try Priceline
Old Aug 15, 07, 10:00 am

freetravelling.com and here are where the mistake fares are posted...
unfortunately by the time they are posted there or here they are usually gone...

methinks it's just dumb luck as there is no overarching system that holds all room-nights
Old Aug 15, 07, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bondiboy View Post
I am not at all sure what you mean by "mattress run"!. The usual meaning is a series of stays at chain hotels (e.g. Hyatt, Hilton. etc.) with the sole purpose of accumulating points/stays and/or status in the chain's reward program.

If you are just looking for a cheap hotel for weekend get-aways,there are a number of options. I suggest that you start with Hotwire.com and then try Priceline
Before posting in this forum, I carefully read the posting instructions, which list the purpose of the forum as "Discussion of hotel deals conducive to "mattress running" as well as pricing glitches and lowest price guarantees."

I am looking for info on how folks find those pricing glitches so as to accumulate points/status at the lowest cost, so I believe my question does fall within the scope of this forum.
Old Aug 15, 07, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I have never taken advantage of a pricing glitch....and beware of hotwire and priceline--you probably will not get credits/points for those.

I happen to know which hotels in my area (or the areas to which I travel) are cheap. (Gosh, that sounds awful!) Those which have low rates. Some are even in my hometown. So, I play around with dates, looking thru consectuvie weekends, until I find something reasonable. I use their direct web site, to ensure I get credit for the stay.

I am active in SPG....and I can easily find mattress runs for less than $100 a night.
Old Aug 20, 07, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), SPG/Marriott PP (Ambassador)
Mistake fares make mattress running easier, that's for sure. But I prefer to use the bonus points promos to trigger mattress running. For instance, last February there was a deal in my hometown (PHL) at the Sheraton City Center. If I booked a Sunday - Thursday arrival, I'd get 1,000 bonus points, and if I booked through a separate promo landing page, I'd receive 3x the base point earning. So, I booked a single room for each day of that week and walked away with 9,592 starpoints and 4 stays.

So, there wasn't a mistake fare involved here, but after I learned about the promo availability through the SPG page here, I set everything up.
Old Aug 29, 07, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
I am looking for info on how folks find those pricing glitches so as to accumulate points/status at the lowest cost, so I believe my question does fall within the scope of this forum.
There is no science to it..
you just need to be on line all day and keep playing till you see something fab then grab it in the hope that it is honored.
I have found a couple of fab glitches over the years and have been game enough to book and luckily they have been honored.
As long as its not something where you played with the website or web adress and changed things then there is no reason for a decent company to not honor the booking.
just keep looking.
Old Sep 4, 07, 8:38 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
We're interested in finding a low cost deal or two for weekend get-aways
Travelocity month long searches in the city of your choice, if you insist on getting points.

But, you want cheap getaways. So, you would be much better served using biddingfortravel.com and going through priceline.

IMHO, the only two reasons to mattress run is 1) for status, and 2) for getting a really nice room with points or promos that would normally cost more. You seem to be interested in neither of these based on your original post.

Based on the frequency of hotel deals posted to this forum, the deals aren't plentiful. And to try to find one in the city or area of your choice, while commendable, will most likely result in frustration.

Now, if your goal is to go someplace and get a good deal and points, then I'd suggest looking at all cities within a 6 hour drive. That increases your chances.

Without wanting status or expensive rooms, just use priceline and save your time. This said from someone who has spent 10 hours looking for a great deal and not finding it. At least, define a reasonable amount of time that you'll limit your search to.

Good luck and good question.
Old Sep 4, 07, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
Without wanting status or expensive rooms, just use priceline and save your time. This said from someone who has spent 10 hours looking for a great deal and not finding it. At least, define a reasonable amount of time that you'll limit your search to.
This seems to be in direct opposition to your signature, though...

(You know I kid... )
Old Sep 5, 07, 6:59 pm

I'm just hoping people can learn from my mistakes....

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP View Post
This seems to be in direct opposition to your signature, though...

(You know I kid... )
Old Sep 5, 07, 7:13 pm

Programs: S*A Gold, Marriott Gold, PC Plat
Travelocity month long searches in the city of your choice, if you insist on getting points.
Correct me if I am wrong - but I thought stays bought from Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia etc do not qualify for getting points?

Thanks
Old Sep 5, 07, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by dante View Post
Correct me if I am wrong - but I thought stays bought from Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia etc do not qualify for getting points?

Thanks
Typically correct. But if cheap is your requirement, as is stated in by the OP, travelocity's search engine is great for digging up low/mistake deals. Do a month long search and sort by price.

Then, try to book the rate on the site of the hotel chain, if it exists there.

If it doesn't exist there, then you calculate what the points are worth to you and see which site offers you a better value.

Travelocity's search engine beats most other chain sites search engines.

I guess leaving out the part about going back to the chain site wasn't such a good idea!
Old Sep 6, 07, 12:11 am

Programs: S*A Gold, Marriott Gold, PC Plat
Thanks Bikeguy for the explanation, now I understand
Old Sep 12, 07, 3:02 am

Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
For SPG, on late Tuesday afternoons or Wednesdays, check out the "Starpicks" for that week, in your area. I've found plenty of rates within your ballpark on this...including recently at the STL Westin and was able to see why it gets consistently awesome reviews--while racking up an additional stay I needed. It changes weekly, so just bookmark it & check back if your area isn't listed.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot..._HP_STARNEW_NF
Old Sep 15, 07, 7:06 am

Question

But, you want cheap getaways. So, you would be much better served using biddingfortravel.com and going through priceline.
Had a look at travelocity but can't find a month-long search facility...

Any pointers?

Search this Thread