Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Thread for people whose Tokyo/Osaka bookings were NOT cancelled & who ARE traveling

Thread for people whose Tokyo/Osaka bookings were NOT cancelled & who ARE traveling

Old Nov 11, 05, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA ExPlat 2012 & Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum

FLYERTALKERS CONFIRMED TO TRAVEL TO TOKYO OR OSAKA

TOKYO
December 5-10 - the_nomad - queen executive
December 27-January 4 - chuckd - king executive
January 22-27 - jxtai - king deluxe
March 5-12 - flyingwish - king executive
April 6-16 - thesilb - king executive
April 12-19 - MADFORMILES - queen executive
April 14-17 - frankytalia - king executive
April 15-22 - gleff - king executive
April 16-23 - jack123 - king executive
April 25-May 1 - Alvnmri - not stated
May 1-9 - sqeaker - king executive
May 15-24 - chuckd - king executive
June 10-16 - tigergrrl - king executive
July 18-24 - zabes64 - king executive
August 7-14 - Hans Dampf - king executive
August 12-18 - sqeaker - king executive
September 19-28 - cygone - king executive

OSAKA
November 24-27 - sunabe1 - queen deluxe
December 8-12 - John_OHST -twin executive
December 9-13 - dshih - king executive
January 12-15 - flying MD - not stated
January 15-21 and 22-27 - Hans Dampf - king executive
January 28-February 4 - jxtai - king executive
March 9-13 - boifromtroy - king executive
March 19-26 - Rainwolf - king executive
April 2-16 - otamxuan - king executive
April 10-16 - NWA-PLAT - king executive
April 11-14 - fiumicino - ?
April 19-24 - MADFORMILES - king executive
April 11-14 - frankytalia - king executive
April 23-26 - jack123 - king executive
April 30-May 13 - Rainwolf - king executive
May 1-14 - sqeaker - king executive
May 23-30 - gemac - king executive
May 27-31 - channa - king executive
July 1-30 - Hans Dampf - king executive
August 18-24 - sqeaker - king executive
September 1-4 - boifromtroy - king executive
September 7-21 - BillScann - king executive
September 15-19 - cygone - twin executive

Please post your information in the thread below. I will keep this uppermost section updated regularly.

First off, my deep sympathy to my fellow FTers who fell into the "cancelled" camp. I think it's a drag.

For those of us who fall into the "I reaffirmed with Expedia and got a case ID number, and my reservation has been affirmed" category, I think we have some issues of our own to deal with now, and I think a special thread is warranted to track treatment of us as a class.

So: who are you, and when are you going? I think the community of us who have invested a lot of money in airfare, and likely convinced other non-FTers to join them on this odyssey, would very much like to know that (i) your reservations are, in fact, honored and (ii) whether the room description you were promised was actually delivered to you.

If you are the first person with an affirmed booking, we will surely be looking to you with great anticipation so we can breathe a sigh of relief once you are, hopefully, treated as per your contract. Until I hear from someone in this position, given the manner communications have been handled here I have to admit I'm restless that I've looped a bunch of family members into this trip, and we'll somehow get screwed.

I will start: Tokyo, April 6-16, multiple rooms for me and my extended family. All are "King executive level", and all have been affirmed as valid by Expedia.

Last edited by thesilb; Jul 3, 06 at 8:38 am
Old Nov 11, 05, 1:56 pm

Check again, they just told me after a 3 re-confirms (1 email, 2 on the phone) that I am canceled.

Its not overwith.
Old Nov 11, 05, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA ExPlat 2012 & Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Pointeater, sorry you are getting the run around. I have definitive written communication from Expedia saying they will honor our rooms, and I don't think they'd be so blazen as to rescind it. On my side, though, is the fact that our travel group is comprised of a large firm corporate lawyer (me), a San Francisco assistant district attorney, two criminal defense litigators, a real estate lawyer and a Los Angeles large firm commercial contracts litigator. I would hate to have to tell that group, most of them already having purchased nonrefundable air, that Expedia is backing out on the contract! So far I've shielded them from this whole incident to let them enjoy looking forward to the trip. I'm suffering the mental anguish all on my own!
Old Nov 11, 05, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by thesilb
Pointeater, sorry you are getting the run around. I have definitive written communication from Expedia saying they will honor our rooms, and I don't think they'd be so blazen as to rescind it. On my side, though, is the fact that our travel group is comprised of a large firm corporate lawyer (me), a San Francisco assistant district attorney, two criminal defense litigators, a real estate lawyer and a Los Angeles large firm commercial contracts litigator. I would hate to have to tell that group, most of them already having purchased nonrefundable air, that Expedia is backing out on the contract! So far I've shielded them from this whole incident to let them enjoy looking forward to the trip. I'm suffering the mental anguish all on my own!
So if they do cancel in the end, is it safe to presume someone from the group of legal eagles will be pursuing legal channels?
Old Nov 11, 05, 3:08 pm

I should also re-affirm, in this age of re-affirmations, that I have written confirmation of honoring my reservation as well with case ID yada yada.
Old Nov 11, 05, 3:32 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Its ok. We dont hate you, the lucky.

But Expedia will NEVER get a single cent from me again.
They can wipe with that worthless voucher.

Hilton.... You too. You've got a nice letter coming with my gold card. I dont want it and will be sure to let EVERYONE know why i'm checking into another brand of hotels EVERY time i do it.

Best of luck to you lucky ones.
Old Nov 11, 05, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Well I haven't had my reservation cancelled (yet), nor did I call/email to reconfirm. I WILL be checking into the Hilton Tokyo next Friday unless I hear otherwise from Expedia in which case they can pay for my replacement room. I read in USA Today that Nov. reservations will be honoured so I am taking them at their word on this.
Old Nov 11, 05, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have not received any communication from Expedia since the initial confirmation email of my booking and I called Hilton a couple of days ago and successfully added my HH number to the reservation. I don't see any reason for me to contact Expedia at this point. My first trip is in January and I'd assume that my booking will be honored since I haven't heard anything by now. It might help that it is only for three nights and over a weekend to boot, which I assume is not as busy at the hotel anyway so there is no real loss involved for them.
Old Nov 11, 05, 7:05 pm

I would hate to have to tell that group, most of them already having purchased nonrefundable air, that Expedia is backing out on the contract! So far I've shielded them from this whole incident to let them enjoy looking forward to the trip. I'm suffering the mental anguish all on my own!
I can relate to your mental anquish ... I booked a room for a friend for the same dates as mine, and I waited till Tuesday to tell her, and she is so excited. Now I really don't want to tell her the truth; till I know something for sure BUT with the way things are going who knows.
Old Nov 11, 05, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Don't tell them, just go. Hilton may check you in, in which case you will have a delightful and inexpensive trip. Hilton may not check you in, in which case please post a blow-by-blow report of how six enraged lawyers react to a situation like this.
Old Nov 11, 05, 11:48 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
I thought I was good to go, but they're now saying all of the reservations will be cancelled.
Old Nov 12, 05, 7:27 am

I talked to Expedia twice and with Hilton once. Expedia stated that they will honor the reservation, while Hilton stated that it is a valid reservation. I am not booking plane tickets yet, just in case. My reservation is not until May anyway. May 18-21, executive room.

Last edited by docr775; Nov 12, 05 at 3:58 pm
Old Nov 12, 05, 7:51 am

Programs: UA
This is case-by-case now, they are currently enough aware of the situation to confirm if they will honor yours or not
Old Nov 12, 05, 9:39 am

Programs: ConU 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question

Doesn't anyone see a problem here? You are so sure that it's a go, but until you go to the hotel stay and check out. You are all speculating.
Do you think that at this point they may just cancel all rooms? I do
Do all of you lawyers think they can cherry pick what reservations they choose to honor? The T & C's on the website specifically say no need to reconfirm.
I called Hilton after booking, confirmed and added my Gold number. Before they pulled the deal.
That's my story, Expedia sent me the cancel email, the Hilton website shows the reservation is still active.
Old Nov 12, 05, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BDLORD
Doesn't anyone see a problem here? You are so sure that it's a go, but until you go to the hotel stay and check out. You are all speculating.
Do you think that at this point they may just cancel all rooms? I do
Do all of you lawyers think they can cherry pick what reservations they choose to honor? The T & C's on the website specifically say no need to reconfirm.
I called Hilton after booking, confirmed and added my Gold number. Before they pulled the deal.
That's my story, Expedia sent me the cancel email, the Hilton website shows the reservation is still active.
BDLORD, I actually spent 3-4 hours researching this (under CA law at least). My legal analysis of why they are "cherry picking" appears in post #1421 of the main thread. I'm a corporate lawyer, not a litigator, so I welcome comment or critique on it.

I honestly believe they will honor the re-affirmed reservations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: