Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) Sheraton South Portland - $19/night (MERGED THREAD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) Sheraton South Portland - $19/night (MERGED THREAD)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:17 am

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD
Wonder what will SPG do

Most of these rooms are going to get unused
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, it's a nice hotel to stop in for a night, maybe a weekend, but it's a little hard to imagine planning a whole vacation around the South Portland Sheraton.
Wanna bet? It's a great base point.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Analise
I hope you, a big Maine-peddler, got in on this.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; Marriott Plat: Hilton Gold
Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited by Nicksterguy; Oct 24, 2005 at 10:50 am
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I hope you, a big Maine-peddler, got in on this.
I am all over this. This is AWESOME!!! I booked Mem Day weekend and 3 nights in October (18-21). I have to see what weekends the Portland Seadogs are home so we can go up for the games.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
I need just one night, Mon. Jan 16, to coincide with the end of my DCA-PWM skiing run. And it's not coming up as available - only rooms at $159.

If anyone grabbed one for that night and isn't really going to use it, and wants to change the name on the reservation to mine - or, can show me what I'm doing wrong - you would have my undying gratitude.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:41 am

Thank you so much for posting this and helping me find dates. Got the July 27-20 and I have been so wanting to visit Maine!

Hope SPG will honor the rate.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by marlin
Thank you so much for posting this and helping me find dates. Got the July 27-20 and I have been so wanting to visit Maine!

Hope SPG will honor the rate.
I don't have much faith in Starwood honoring the bookings completely -- given the last debacle I witnessed. I hope I am wrong.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, I just rented a Maine cottage for a week last summer. I'll likely do so next summer. But do I want to spend a week at the Portland airport hotel? Probably not. I guess I want more of a "real" Maine experience.

That said, I am holding a couple of days around a week I might spend elsewhere.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:13 am

I don't have much faith in Starwood honoring the bookings completely -- given the last debacle I witnessed. I hope I am wrong.
What happened?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Hey, I just rented a Maine cottage for a week last summer. I'll likely do so next summer. But do I want to spend a week at the Portland airport hotel? Probably not. I guess I want more of a "real" Maine experience.
While I understand your sentiments, at $19, I'd take the hotel and stay longer.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:17 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
ENDED at 1:16pm EST

It's over folks. There at 1:15pm, gone seconds later for all dates
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:23 am
Suspended

What happened?
1. We won't honor the bookings.
2. Ok, we will allow you one stay, for up to three nights, at the booked rate, with no changes and none of the quoted amenities/room type noted in the rate.
3. Change in hotel personnel at the heart of the debacle.
4. We will give you some of the quoted amenities but the booked rate is only good for one stay, for up to three nights out of one standing reservation.
5. Well, if you ask us hard enough, you can get what you want.

... and then there is Starwood wiping its hands clean of the mess by saying this is a matter between the hotel and the guest and Starwood has no role to play -- before or after their meaningless press statement and a bit of marketing spin.

Starwood claimed that it was acting only as a "booking agent" and as such had no obligations to see the rate and confirmed reservations honored.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 24, 2005 at 11:28 am
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:31 am

1. We won't honor the bookings.
2. Ok, we will allow you one stay, for up to three nights, at the booked rate, with no changes and none of the quoted amenities/room type noted in the rate.
3. Change in hotel personnel at the heart of the debacle.
4. We will give you some of the quoted amenities but the booked rate is only good for one stay, for up to three nights out of one standing reservation.
5. Well, if you ask us hard enough, you can get what you want.

... and then there is Starwood wiping its hands clean of the mess by saying this is a matter between the hotel and the guest and Starwood has no role to play -- before or after their meaningless press statement and a bit of marketing spin.

Starwood claimed that it was acting only as a "booking agent" and as such had no obligations to see the rate and confirmed reservations honored.
I got the emailed confirmations if that means anything. Any suggestions on what to do to make sure that the SSP honors this rate?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:40 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
My proposal ...

Given previous experiences in VERY similar circumstances, I'll toss this out:

further speculation on our part is futile since the decision will come from on high in White Plains ultimately. Just sit back and sooner or later there will be a response on this from *wood. As I understand it, available dates weren't out there until mid/late summer 2006 anyway, so there aren't dozens of folks clamoring to check in tonight.

That said, *wood will need to issue a quick response to this for a number of reasons, but primarily because folks will begin to book air travel and other affiliated components to align with their hotel res at the Sheraton S Ptld. It gets real sticky when consumers have already booked non-refundable airfares and booked car rentals, etc, and then are told their hotel rate was an error and will not be honored.

ALL THAT SAID, that's precisely what we've seen *wood do in the past.

So ..... my idea is to stop wringing one's hands over it at this point and just wait a coupla days for the official response. FWIW, this is a corporately owned Sheraton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.